Ardyn

GokaiWhite

GokaiWhite
AKA
Hexafres
I think, for all his wickedness, Ardyn was just another pawn in a game even the astrals don't know is being played; a cruel game orchestrated by the True Accursed, a man whose view of the gods was forever damaged beyond all hope because of past mistakes.

Who is that, you may ask? Wait until I'm allowed to share links to find out!

With the release of the trailer for Episode Ardyn, I have more reason to believe that Somnus Lucis Caelum is the true antagonist of the FFXV Universe. Also, I would like you all to sign and share this petition.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I don't think Somnus is the true antagonist of the FFXV Universe. Really, seeing how nasty Prompto's birth father Vaestel or however you spell that old creepy guy's name is the real Antagonist since, as with the trailer, he found Ardyn and even talked him into going out for revenge and we all know what he attempted to do in Episode Prompto.

Seeing this now, I think that crazy Scientist is another Hojo, only he didn't create the Universe's main antagonist like the other guy did with Sephiroth in the FFVII Universe and unlike Hojo, he has a great voice, being done by Steven Blum who voiced Vincent. I mean, come on, the guy practically created the Diamond Weapon which is the same name as one of the giant Guardians of the Planet as first known two decades ago.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I don't really believe Somnus is the true antagonist of FFXV. I refuse to hop on that tumblr train.

Ardyn is a victim of circumstance. He was originally slated to be the first king of Lucis, until he took too much of the darkness into himself when he healed others of Starscourge. Thus he was denied by the crystal, and his brother Somnus became king. He basically has the worst reaction to being fired, ever.

Even if they portray Somnus as a smug little jealous bastard, that's not enough to convince me that he's the true villain here. Even you sympathize with Ardyn's plight, he is the antagonist, period. He literally antagonizes all of the characters throughout the entire game.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Precisely my feelings there, lith.

I'd also add that there's not really an overarching mastermind behind everything bad that happened on Eos. It's largely a combination of unfortunate circumstance and various character flaws.

Even if Somnus is a smug little jealous bastard who screwed his brother over (which I'm pretty confident is the case), the presence of the Starscourge was still necessary for that to play out the way it did. Furthermore, the Crystal and the gods still had to be indifferent, unreasonable bastards to ditch Ardyn the way they did.

Of course, there's Ardyn's own villainy in response to how he was wronged -- though I do think his negative feelings were probably bolstered by the Starscourge.

And then we have the greedy ambitions of Emperor Aldercapt, the unchecked scientific ambitions of Verstael, and the vengeful response Ifrit had to his worshippers moving on.

There really isn't a mastermind to be found here, I think.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Yeah, even with Ardyn having a hard life, I can't find it in my heart to even feel sorry for him and I don't think I ever will. Not like with Sephiroth at any rate. Plus, even though Sephiroth had lost all of his sanity, I feel sorry for him for having been mislead and used and Crisis Core changed my view on the guy forever.

And now that you mentioned it, Twilight, I think the Emperor is like President ShinRa while Verstael is another version of Hojo(and Xehanort), but unlike Final Fantasy VII now that both Universes are a bit similar, Ardyn was not created by the guys behind this mess. The Starscourage he absorbed took advantage of his anger and lust for vengeance to the point where Ardyn lost all care in the world and he simply just let it happen without questioning his past. Things went bad from start to finish for the guy.

With Ifrit, though, this version of him is probably the nastiest version of Ifrit in Final Fantasy history...Not to mention the creepiest too. I thought the FFVII version of Ifrit was bad enough, but the FFXV one now takes the cake of being the most definte of creepy.

Top Bottom