Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin (beware unmarked spoilers)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
So this new anime series (based on the manga of the same name) seems to the current hot new anime that is spreading in popularity around the anime communities. Thought a thread on this site might warrant some discussion.

I think it is pretty awesome anime/manga series (I've seen all the episodes and caught up on the manga). It has pretty good production values for the animation and probably has some of the best female main and supporting characters in a popular shonen anime/manga since Fullmetal/Alchemist IMO.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
All of my yes.

I started reading Shingeki when it was not well-known (I READ IT BEFORE IT BECAME MAINSTREAM! WITNESS, I AM HIPSTER) and I was hoping it'd get an anime, telling my brother just how good it was. And then, after a few months... voilà! Anime's created. And I love how they're doing it. So far, they're being faithful to the original storyline and I pray that it'll continue ths way...

However, I think one of the reasons they have good female supporting characters is because the cast is huge, so it's normal they'd have some good ones. I mean, yeah, I generally like the whole cast for the diversity, and when a character is weaker, it can be passed as representing a less carismatic character... And Mikasa is interesting on her own! It was a pleasant surprise when I first read it, and it's good too, now.

Although, to be honest...
I'd rather not have them transform into Titans. One of the things I liked was about how gritty everything was and how "impossibly strong" their enemies were. I know that with them transforming, the situation doesn't do a 180º change, and it's still living hell, but aesthetically speaking, the idea of poor small humans fighting the huge titans was very enticing to me. But I continue to find the whole storyline interesting, and intriguing,
so it's not like I'm complaining.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
However, I think one of the reasons they have good female supporting characters is because the cast is huge, so it's normal they'd have some good ones. I mean, yeah, I generally like the whole cast for the diversity, and when a character is weaker, it can be passed as representing a less carismatic character... And Mikasa is interesting on her own! It was a pleasant surprise when I first read it, and it's good too, now.

The large cast is factor in the quality of female characters, I agree, but Hajime Isayama should get his credit due as well as there are plenty of shonen anime/mangas that have large casts but do not have nearly as well written female characters (e.g. Naruto).

Anywho, the anime is definitely doing a good job of adapting the manga, but since there are only 25 episodes + 1 OVA scheduled for production so far I am wondering how far they are going to be able to adapt the manga. Hopefully (since the manga does not seem to be close to ending soon) they will be to get more episodes and/or OVAs ordered in order to completely adapt the manga eventually.

I also wonder who Funimation will get to record for the English dub of the release?

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
My guess is they would just get several seasons. As in, 25 episodes + 1 OVA and reach wherever they'll reach. Then perhaps come again next year with some other 25 episodes, and so on until they finish it.

That was my guess... I lie; my hope.

And yes, I totally agree with you. I think he's doing a great job with characterisation in general. Large casts help, but they do not do the whole job!

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
My guess is they would just get several seasons. As in, 25 episodes + 1 OVA and reach wherever they'll reach. Then perhaps come again next year with some other 25 episodes, and so on until they finish it.

That was my guess... I lie; my hope.

I hope so too, I'd hate if the show ended the part way through the manga's storyline (like what happened with Berserk and/or Ouran Highschool Host Club, even though the anime admittedly ended at satisfying spot in the storylines it would have been cool if they could have completely adapted the manga).
It could also maybe end up going a route similar to the Soul Eater, 2003 FMA, or Trigun animes where it partially adapts the manga and then goes off on its own independent conclusion (which could possibly occur with or without more ordered seasons).

Last edited:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I think Berthold and Reiner are so fucked next chapter. I need to know who are they taking orders from!!

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I was into this show until they
turned into Titans.

Thought that was a really dumb turn plot-wise and turned me off completely.

I do still want to know what's in the goddamned basement though.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I absolutely loved the concept of them being "powerless" against the titans. So, to be perfectly honest, I felt like that as well.

I thought it was a cheap plot twist (which is not so much a plot twist but the focus of the series) just to add something new. An I thought it worked so good without them being titans. Really.

I mean, I'm used to it by now, but the parts I love the most are still when it's just regular humans vs titans. Yep.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I was into this show until they
turned into Titans.

Thought that was a really dumb turn plot-wise and turned me off completely.

I do still want to know what's in the goddamned basement though.
I was actually a manga reader a decent time before the show, I stopped at that point because of that same reason. Humans versus incredible odds is just a more compelling story to me.

I felt the shift was too much and the story would fall flat. But honestly, picking it up again I don't think that at all. It's still as interesting and tense a story as before. I think it works because the story is partly character driven. And the characters are still awesome.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
This chapter has left me emotionally compromised.

Agreed. Hajime Isayama has done a really good job portraying the effect that Reiner's and Bertholdt's
betrayal has had on their psyche's and their relationships with the other 104th Corps Graduates

It is part of why I really enjoy the
titan-shifters elements of the story.

Old Nan

valar morghulis
AKA
Lady V, Nat
sorry not read rest of thread, avoiding spoilers!

is this a recommended series then? has been mentioned to me a couple of times and the reviews are pretty glowing. How is the gore tho? I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to excessive horror, but if the story is really good I'll get through it, haha. (am referring to the anime, which I believe cuts down on some of the gore compared to the manga). haven't gotten into a good new series in ages so want to give this a go.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
As far as I remember, it's not bad. You should be okay with it. But I'm not really concerned with that, most of the time, so don't take my word 200%. I don't remember it being particularly harsh with the gore, though.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
sorry not read rest of thread, avoiding spoilers!

is this a recommended series then? has been mentioned to me a couple of times and the reviews are pretty glowing. How is the gore tho? I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to excessive horror, but if the story is really good I'll get through it, haha. (am referring to the anime, which I believe cuts down on some of the gore compared to the manga). haven't gotten into a good new series in ages so want to give this a go.

The basic premise is, instead of zombies we get giga sized zombie-like titans eating people and a pack of militarized children training to counter them and then later a plot twist that concerns with who is on the good side and who is actually evil (as far as the most recent chapter is developing) and something political which is shoved aside for the time being in the most recent chapter. The anime will obviously cover only 25 episodes and not more.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
So I finished animu after a spat of Guilty Crown (which I kind of adored despite all the stupid) and I decided to check out how Araki injected himself into this adaptation

Doesn't look bad at all!

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Am I the only one who likes the second opening just as much as the first (if not more)?

Probably, the fact my German is not as good as it used to be (it was never too good after a single year!) helps, since I don't notice the "Engrish - German version" of the song. And in fact I think the german parts sound great!

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I think it's 25 exactly, yes.

When it's such numbers, it's common to see series splitting in two halves in terms of openings and endings.

I'm honestly hoping they leave the anime unfinished so they can go back to it when they feel they have enough material to do so. I read the series half a year before it was announced it'd become an anime and the result is quite stunning, so it makes me want them to do the whole series!

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I wish they did that for another series of light novels but highly doubtful they'd ever do so. :[ I'm not holding out for this series to get another treatment like FMA.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Honestly, FMA needs to stop getting treatments :monster: Shit's old already, let it go~

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I mean at how lucky it got Brohood you know. I wish Attack on Titan will continue on if the series ends instead of another Attack on Titan: Brohood lol

Top Bottom