Banned Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen a topic on this so I though I'd ask. I know FCF and the old ACF had a banned users section, so will there be one on here? :huh: Just curious.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I can't tell if you mean a Ban Log, which is a log. Or like an actual section for banned users to post in, like ACF had with Corel Prison. iirc FCF might have had one too, but I haven't been on staff there in awhile so idk if its still there or not.

Elaborate plz.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Definitely was. Solved nothing but giving people like User Name a chance to banter with the staff in an attempt to reduce his sentence. Often with hilarious results. Who could ever forget the timeless classics as when he came onto the internet in a 'woe is me, unban me now or I'll drink myself to death' cry for attention. Good times man.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm also not in favor of putting up a Wall of Shame for banned users. Also, I'm against having arguments with banned members (or their friends) if they disagree their ban - if it was unjust, I'm pretty sure there'd be several people in staff that would highlight that.

If not, feel free to revolt and whatnot, just as long as you keep it civil / level etc, :monster:.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Definitely was. Solved nothing but giving people like User Name a chance to banter with the staff in an attempt to reduce his sentence. Often with hilarious results. Who could ever forget the timeless classics as when he came onto the internet in a 'woe is me, unban me now or I'll drink myself to death' cry for attention. Good times man.
Wouldn't that just have encouraged us to leave him banned? :awesomonster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I actually think we should have a ban log. Because a user may accidentally get their account hacked/breached/etc and may not know WHY they were banned in the first place.

A user may also have their account banned because it may be a suspected dupe of another so they should at least see the reason why they are gone. It only makes sense for there to be a log of who's been banned and why.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Isn't that what we ended up doing in the end? I CAN'T REMEMBER.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm not sure what you mean, but I don't see how having a log of who all was banned can hurt. That doesn't mean we have to talk to them. It just lets them know why. And we can also keep track of who is banned and why as well.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Thats because I was talking to Aaron :monster: Your post just cheekily snuck in there before mine.

But yeah I'd support a ban log pretty much because it helps keep track of who's done what etc. Moreover if staff are worried about it becoming a point of humiliation (or highly unlikely drama) for those that have been banned then isn't it possible to make it staff-only viewable?

Then again I'm fairly sure people that have been banned deserve their fair share of mocking and humiliation anyway :monster: But still.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Pretty sure banned users see the reason they were banned when they log in.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
When someone gets banned, they could (imho) still be able to read PMs (dunno if that would also mean they could send 'em, and cba to check). That would show them what they were warned for last, and thus why they were banned.

But then, I doubt that people would get banned for arbitrary reasons, and that they'd pervfectly understand why they eventually got banned or suspended.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I wouldn't know. I've never been banned from anywhere before :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Are you sure banned users see why they are banned? If they do, then we don't need it. Fair enough.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I actually support the idea of a ban log...but one that indeed is only viewable to staff. If in the case of someone who was banned a long time ago, and the staff has changed, wouldn't it be important to know the original reason? Also, in the case of a person creating multiple accounts to evade a ban shouldn't you keep track of all the duplicate accounts being created for IP blocking purposes?

I mean maybe it's not needed *now* but later on you, you might wish you had it, so that you could keep an eye on someone who registers with another banned users IP. And IIRC, you can view the ban log in your ACP, so maybe another one is superflous, and if so, then yeah, don't worry about it. As long as you have a copy somewhere to reference when people are asking why a particular IP was blocked (especially in the case of someone blocking an IP that an legitmate member uses) that works, IMO.

Having Corel Prison is pretty much useless though, as quite clearly it rarely, if ever worked on ACF. The concept itself is good, but it just doesn't work in practice.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
There's actually a listing of banned users in the admin control panel. Can't remember if mods can view it as well.

I actually think something like Corel might be somewhat useful though, if only because it makes it less likely people will register duplicate accounts to argue about a ban and/or incite drama about their banning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom