Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Nikkolas

Banned
Ooh look it's the Dark Knight starring Batman with throat cancer.

People always talk about the best Joker but for me it's all about the best Batman. And Kevin Conroy does the best Bats and Bruce Wayne.

Then there's Will Friedle as the awesome Terry McGinnis in the best ending to any Batman film ever.

But yeah I rank this movie right up there with TDK and the 1989 Batman. It has great characters, story and acting. And it easily takes the better action category but it is a cartoon so I won't count that.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Lol.

Batman Beyond is garbage. I never got why people liked it so much.

The only high point of it is old Bruce. Mciginnis is a shit Batman, and the writing and overall world is poor. Beyond adds nothing to the Batman lore, has subpar to downright uninteresting villains. Meh.

This shitty movie only took the knife and twisted it. HURRRR BATMAN IN THA FUTUR how original and outstanding, and HEY LET'S MAKE BATMAN AN EMO LOOKING TEENAGER WITH NO TRAINING AT ALL BUT HEY HE'LL BE GREAT BECAUSE HE HAS A SPECIAL SUPERSUIT.

Last edited:

Nikkolas

Banned
Well for one the premise is perfect. Bruce's devotion to his alter ego alienated him from everyone. However there must always be a Batman to defend Gotham no matter the era and Terry is that Batman.

Terry himself is a fine Batman. The contrast between him and Bruce is made quite clear and that's what makes him not just another Batman. he is his own person.

Compared to TAS the Rogue's Gallery wasn't great but B:TAS had the best villains in any comic-based toon so what can you do.

But if you don't like it you don't like it.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
He's a teenager, who is only capable of doing anything because he has a cyborg suit.

The premise is generic. Old soldier winds up alone because he fights a battle all his life.

Batman shouldn't be some kid with no training, a generic teen with a chip on his shoulder. It's a joke.

BB tried to take everything good about Batman: TAS and replicate it into a generic future setting full of shitty villains and bad stories. Feh.

Let me put it this way, it was a decent show, but there is absolutely nothing special about it. Not even bringing back the joker could save it( LOL HE DOWNLOADED HIS MIND INTO HIM).

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You're a poopy-head and your mother smells of elderberries.

Batman Beyond is awesome. I don't think its the best, and the premise is a bit generic, however I enjoyed the hell out of it. It developed nicely past its mediocre beginning and with the tie in to Justice League Unlimited, it definitely ended rather epically. I do agree that the cast of villains though was rather lame though.

Yeah, I'll admit the generic teen with the power suit seemed weird, but you can't say that's all he is now. He developed on his own and has shown himself to be a strong fighter and hero without it.

Batman saw to it :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
It's nothing special at all man.

It's serviceable. Typical take something people like and put it into the future crap.

The show would never have survived as long as it did with having to mooch off of Batman TAS.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Hmm...I'm sure if I insult you and repeat my subjective reasons for why I like it for the next 2 hours, I can change your mind. :monster:

....But then again, probably not. Oh well, I guess it just wasn't your thing. You did see the ending to JL Unlimited though, right? And how it tied Batman Beyond in?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yeah, it was dumb and unnecessary.

YOUR A HALF BATMAN CLONE, NO WAIT HE'S YOUR FATHER.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Eh, I thought it was a good way of explaining and adding relevance to Terry's character. :monster:

And to be honest, I could seriously see Batman doing that.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
It was a last ditch effort at trying to tie his existence into the rest of the mythos.

It was clearly not planned before JLU.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You're probably right but still :monster:

The bit about Harley's future really amused me too.

Nikkolas

Banned
He's a teenager, who is only capable of doing anything because he has a cyborg suit.

I've dealt with this argument before.
Skip to around :50

Is Batman the suit or the man behind it? Terry shows the answer.

He's not as skilled or as intelligent as Bruce which is only logical. It be boring if he was.

The premise is generic. Old soldier winds up alone because he fights a battle all his life.

Sounds like Metal Gear Solid ie. awesome.

BB tried to take everything good about Batman: TAS and replicate it into a generic future setting full of shitty villains and bad stories. Feh.

Inque was cool.

Let me put it this way, it was a decent show, but there is absolutely nothing special about it. Not even bringing back the joker could save it( LOL HE DOWNLOADED HIS MIND INTO HIM).

You do realize this is a show where a guy turned into mud right The idea Joker can put his mind in someone else isn't that out there.

EDIT: And the reason they added that bit in JLU was because BB never had an ending.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Is Batman the suit or the man behind it? Terry shows the answer.

He's not as skilled or as intelligent as Bruce which is only logical. It be boring if he was.

Bullshit, he clearly got more skilled after bruce took him on, but it's obvious most of the situations he got into he could not have survived without that damn suit.

You do realize this is a show where a guy turned into mud right The idea Joker can put his mind in someone else isn't that out there.
So, I should excuse a shitty plot device? Bullshit.

Nikkolas

Banned
And what would Batman do without his gadgets? He'd be a great help to the Justice League then....
The gadgets are part of the whole Batman character.

And no you shouldn't excuse bad plot devices. Just recognize they are part of the medium of comic books. Most comic book stories are founded on such things and the cartoon versions are no exception.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Hahaha, comics aren't defined by bad plot devices, that's bullshit. They suffer from them like every other medium, they're not some issue confined to them.

And Batman's gadgets only support the skills he spent a almost a decade learning.

Comparing Joker download his goddamn personality into a kid to Matt being turned into a clay monster by horrible chemicals is stupid.

Last edited:

Nikkolas

Banned
Why exactly? Horrible chemicals is a bad plot device. Downloading your personality into someone is just as ridiculous as the classic comic book copout of "radiation did it."

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
EDIT: Fuck it, don't feel like arguing. If you liked it, good for you. I'm out.

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Lol.

Batman Beyond is garbage. I never got why people liked it so much.

The only high point of it is old Bruce. Mciginnis is a shit Batman, and the writing and overall world is poor. Beyond adds nothing to the Batman lore, has subpar to downright uninteresting villains. Meh.

This shitty movie only took the knife and twisted it. HURRRR BATMAN IN THA FUTUR how original and outstanding, and HEY LET'S MAKE BATMAN AN EMO LOOKING TEENAGER WITH NO TRAINING AT ALL BUT HEY HE'LL BE GREAT BECAUSE HE HAS A SPECIAL SUPERSUIT.

Batman shouldn't be some kid with no training, a generic teen with a chip on his shoulder. It's a joke.

These two posts sum my thoughts on this matter pretty well.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Beyond feels odd to me. I don't like it. Except the film, even then, I still like the old rogues fighting the bat. These newbies in the future is just gay and made of even more gay. I actually think Terry's ok, but he's a little dumb to me for a Batman compared to Brucy. And they just made Terry a jackass in the movie by trying to make us think he's outsmarting Mr. J, tbh, I think Mr. J wiped his ass clean in physical combat.

also, they should've used the movie's subplot for the final season, where Joker terrorizes gotham for a season and the finale comes to a climax and shiz, would've been better. And old rogues other than Freeze or Bane (lol old guy)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lulz, that cartoon was on TV here back when I was still an idiot and watched cartoons.

The whole concept alone - 'future batman', 'teenager becoming batman', 'batman being mentor' - is as lame as... well, the elements in the previous sentence. Back then though, I think I only had seen (part of) the 90's Batman movies, ergo, I didn't know shit about Batman but those movies.

Top Bottom