• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Before Crisis Script?

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
http://thelifestream.net/before-crisis/

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the external links to DA's Gunshot Romance, where TLS refers to for the BC script many times, are broken because apparently the website is "frozen."

Do we have a copy of this script and the permission to host it locally, and/or can we obtain both of those things?

I have significant portions of it. However, it's DA's translation, and I don't think we could publish it without her agreement. Does anyone know why the site was frozen?

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
Although I still have never spoken to this DA person, I very coincidentally know that this is apparently her LiveJournal and X-SOLDIER/Squall_of_Seed might still have her contact info as per this thread from 6 years ago, which was excavated from the depths of the internet and brought to my attention yesterday, and in which I was also mistaken for knowing her then. :monster:

There are also two folks on YouTube who go by the usernames of Grimoire Valentine and HcloudXIII respectively who seem to have either personally translated BC or have two completely separate translations of BC from somewhere that they have edited into two completely separate series of video playthroughs of the game.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I think we need to get aaaaalllll the scripts of all the games onto TLS if possible, it just seems weird that we don't have those.

None of them are great translations, although I think DAs is the best of the lot; I always enjoyed the explanations she gave for the trickier bits of translation. I am pretty sure that HCloudXIII didn't do his own translation, but got it from somewhere else (although now that I think of it, I might be wrong). You can always ask him. SandG made some summaries of the special episodes a while ago. I don't think I have ever seen the Special Episode of Reno, I've only read it.

HCloudXIII's translation is DA's translation, although as far as I can remember she didn't get around to translating the last three episodes or so. There are at least two other translations on youtube: Grimoire Valentine's is different so he might have done it himself. I'm going to check.

Last edited:

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
Pretty sure we have the summaries online, and those are great, but sticklers like me like to know what the original content said instead of just what happened.

If none of them are great, is there any chance we could just throw a bunch of money at hitoshura or whoever is doing our translations these days and get our own? :monster:

Grimoire Valentine's seems more detailed. They are almost identical in many places, but at other times contradict each other, for example where HCloudXIII has Tseng saying "Hurry" and GV has him saying, "Don't overdo it." The quality of the English is better in GV's version, which makes me wonder if it's a more loose translation.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
I haven't studied them extensively but in another thread someone posted the two videos for the scene where Veld helps Tseng escape and gets scarred and the translations were radically different.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
I think we need to get aaaaalllll the scripts of all the games onto TLS if possible, it just seems weird that we don't have those.
Is there an honest-to-god high quality script of the English Crisis Core floating around the net? Maybe my Google powers are awful, but I can't find one. The GameFAQ one is a translation from the Japanese, and the one on Shatter Heart is incomplete and riddled with typos. I resorted to starting a straight transcription from CC this summer, but I've only gotten through the Banora section; I haven't even included NPC dialogue in it, just the straight basics.

This is the most complete English OGC script I have found so far, including a ton of NPC dialogue and alternate party-member dialogue. There are a few cases of mis-attributed dialogue, and I don't know if she's finished it all, but for the first half of the game, it's pretty damn good.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
Is there an honest-to-god high quality script of the English Crisis Core floating around the net? Maybe my Google powers are awful, but I can't find one. The GameFAQ one is a translation from the Japanese, and the one on Shatter Heart is incomplete and riddled with typos. I resorted to starting a straight transcription from CC this summer, but I've only gotten through the Banora section; I haven't even included NPC dialogue in it, just the straight basics.

Oh, I started to do one of those when the game first came out...then I figured a million people already had so I stopped bothering. :monster: I could possibly help you with this undertaking.

If a manual transcription of English Crisis Core script is the only way to do it, then having multiple people on the job would help. Somebody can be assigned transcribing the mails, somebody does Chapter 3, somebody else Chapter 9 etc.

While I don't know of any tools to rip the Crisis Core script, I suggest somebody look that up first. There are after all easy ways to rip the models and textures from Crisis Core, so it's not impossible that there is a "script editor/viewer" software out there that simply isn't known to the TLS community.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
I know squat about ripping scripts/models out of games. However, I found this? Is this in the right neighborhood? I haven't read through the whole thread, but it seems like someone ripped some script out of the prologue (on page 2), but I don't have enough background to understand what's going on.

If we do go with manual transcription, I'd be up for splitting the chapters amongst anyone who wants to help. I have the first three already in various forms of completion, but we'd probably need to agree on how to format, whether to include optional NPC dialogue, etc. I'll also suggest transcribing the DMV scenes as they come up, since I couldn't find them in English on Youtube the last time I checked.

GamesRadar already has the English mail here.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
I'd suggest getting the whole thing done without extra stuff first, then adding in the extra. That way, if motivation dwindles, there's something closer to a completed/useful product.

I haven't played CC in forever, but I'd be willing to play ahead in the game and start transcribing from some point ahead of where you are. Just tell me where.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
If just transcribing the core story, one doesn't even need to fire up their PSP. Just watch a walkthrough on YouTube and type stuff out as it goes. :monster: That's what I did when creating the Dissidia and Dissidia 012 scripts.

Obviously, that's not going to cover all the optional NPC dialogue, but taking all that on seems like an inordinate task to begin with.

The FFWiki has all the e-mails, so nobody else needs to waste their time doing that.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
I think I may be able to simply rip the script out, but I'll have to take a better look at the procedure mentioned in the linked thread over the weekend (or ... next month) when I have more time. It seems that the script is contained within the MBD files (whatever those are) and can be extracted. I'll poke around a bit more, but if someone else has more experience with this, feel free to volunteer your expertise.

(That said, anymore volunteers for a manual transcription? Having even just as few as three people would make it go by a lot faster. I actually have the last encounter between Zack and Genesis scripted out already too, I think.)

It is also very promising that the Qhimm people already ripped the Crisis Core table. I remember when BrutalAl ripped the Japanese script from the original game, he started by getting the table and then doing his computer magic to rip the game script.

Sorry I'm too lazy to actually contribute here but I just want to encourage Skan on his path. It's not impossible BrutalAl could give some good advice on the topic. I no longer have BrutalAl on my contact list because he doesn't use Skype. He hasn't visited GameFAQs in six months. His YouTube channel might be the best way to contact him and ask for advice.

EDIT: Looks like the guy who ripped the table was able to extract some text.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Even better, I think this ignitz dude on Qhimm has recently been active there. I may shoot him a PM to get a low-down; hopefully he'll be able to help a total newbie like me.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Okay, script dumping is now underway. There's a lot of files (~8000 total) and I think ~600 contain script in them. I've only gotten through around 150 right now. (I am also unlikely to go trawling through the remaining 7400 files, so if I miss a script, then I guess it'll have to be added off a playthrough.) Will try to have all this dumped by the end of the month, but no promises. Script comes out more or less like this from my viewer:

<TEXT>
Hey Zack, you seem a little on edge.
<END>

<TEXT>Can you blame me?
All this training and no assignments.
<END>

<TEXT>
Like they're hanging me out to dry.
<END>

<TEXT>
You must be pretty busy with everyone off base.
<END>

<TEXT>Off-base?
Wait, haven't you heard?
<END>

<TEXT>
There's been a mass desertion at SOLDIER.
<END>

<TEXT>It appears one of the 1sts deserted.
<END>
Some of the scripts do not have the lines in the correct order and/or repeat lines, so this will definitely need to be double-checked.

Anyways, opinions on formatting, anyone? How much description of actions do you think is needed, how to do action tags (brackets or parenthesis, italicized or not), bolded speakers vs. unbolded speakers, how to deal with dialogue choices and answers, etc.

Lex

Administrator
Ah Qhimm, my own personal Nibelheim <3. Much like Cloud and Tifa, returning there gives me painful childhood memories and a slight paralysing fear.

On topic: the script dump thing is excellent Skan, so cool. As far as formatting, I recommend keeping it as simple as possible. Maybe put speaker names in square brackets, use > before a list to indicate choices - I'm not sure about action tags.

You know what this means? Skan will most likely be able to rip text from the files which have debugger text in them. *squee*

I suggest the Crisis Core script talk be split into a separate thread. Either that or I can create a new thread titled "Crisis Core Research" and Skan (and other members) can post special findings in there?

Hmm, there used to be a video showing a CC debug room, with characters walking about saying stuff written by the event developer, but I can't seem to find it now. Found some other cool videos though. EDIT: Confirmed that the video is indeed no longer available. Too bad. It was quite cool, with Yuffie and others roaming the area where Angeal dies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom