BERSERK

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Anyone else read this little slice of awesome?

Probably one of my favorite works from Japan ever. Not for the faint of heart though :monster:

My only qualm with it, would have to be I'll probably die before it finishes.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
I've seen it in bookstores, never picked it up tho.

After reading your post I assume it's worth the read, any background info on it?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=sephirothpaine link=topic=258.msg6164#msg6164 date=1231201345]
I saw the anime. The ending was a little too much .........gives me nightmares :monster:
[/quote]

Anime got nothing on the manga.

[quote author=Cookie Monster link=topic=258.msg6159#msg6159 date=1231201089]
I've seen it in bookstores, never picked it up tho.

After reading your post I assume it's worth the read, any background info on it?
[/quote]

I love it. It's a sort of medieval monster/swordfighting bash with a huge amount of adult themes thrown in. You have to read it to get into it.

Hell, when I first started reading I was so put off by the first few chapters I almost stopped. But the more I read the more I got interested, and the main character when from a dull angry maniac to a three dimensional character you can empathize with.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Awesome.
wa3lft.jpg

Any links, assuming this can be found online?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Uh. Is it ok to link to manga scans here?

Especially ones with explicit material in them?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Dacon link=topic=258.msg6174#msg6174 date=1231202564]
Uh. Is it ok to link to manga scans here?

Especially ones with explicit material in them?
[/quote]

Nope, pron and website semi-suitable (but not directly aimed at) yon Underaged. There's a 12 year old on here, :monster:.

Not that I'd doubt that one never saw anything 'mature' before, if you know what I mean.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Come on, I can't be the only one who follows this book.

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
You know I read it. I think we even spoke about it on the phone once or twice. Had this long, irritating conversation discussing whether or not Griffith had a weak personality. (You probably don't remember, lol).

I seriously only read up to the Blackswordsman arc. After that, it was a lot of flipping through.

Btw, isn't this series licensed? Why can't you freaks just buy the manga? Support Miura; throw some cash in his face. I want him to hurry up and finish this thing before he dies.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=H link=topic=258.msg26695#msg26695 date=1236140703]
You know I read it. I think we even spoke about it on the phone once or twice. Had this long, irritating conversation discussing whether or not Griffith had a weak personality. (You probably don't remember, lol). [/quote]

I remember us arguing about whether or not what he did was wrong. And hating you for taking his side.
I seriously only read up to the Blackswordsman arc. After that, it was a lot of flipping through.

FFS read the rest already.

Btw, isn't this series licensed? Why can't you freaks just buy the manga? Support Miura; throw some cash in his face. I want him to hurry up and finish this thing before he dies.

I did buy some of it you toad bellied measel.

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
[quote author=Dacon link=topic=258.msg26698#msg26698 date=1236141207]

I remember us arguing about whether or not what he did was wrong. And hating you for taking his side. [/quote]

I honestly remembered it as being the other way around. I recall asking you to explain to me why he could do wtf he did to his friends.

FFS read the rest already.

If I only had more time.....like you.

But it's more a case of 'lack of funds'. I haven't had enough cash in 2 months to buy clothes even! because I kept spending on other ridiculous crap.

' Some ' = / = most / all
Oh, but damn it's expensive. I think I'm just going to go the bookoff and buy the used originals for 3 bucks a volume. I'll get back to you when I catch up.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=H link=topic=258.msg26701#msg26701 date=1236141806]
[/quote]

I honestly remembered it as being the other way around. I recall asking you to explain to me why he could do wtf he did to his friends.

LIES. You were arguing that his ambition justified his madness.

If I only had more time.....like you.

You prob have more time than me now. I just take my laptop everywhere with me all the time.

But it's more a case of 'lack of funds'. I haven't had enough cash in 2 months to buy clothes even! because I kept spending on other ridiculous crap.

Ever the shopaholic.

' Some ' = / = most / all
Oh, but damn it's expensive. I think I'm just going to go the bookoff and buy the used originals for 3 bucks a volume. I'll get back to you when I catch up.

They don't have all of them over here yet old lady.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Yup, add me to the list! BERSERK is an amazing piece of nihilist fiction. I can't say I've read much of the manga, just taken snippets here and there. But I have watched the anime series. I wish they had finished it with the Skull Knight showing up at least, but then I can understand why they left it on such a cliffhanger, so people would run out and buy the manga.

For Griffith, I can see both sides of the argument:

Griffith had lost everything dear to him. His mind, his body, and his soul. One can only become an Apostle during the peak of despair, so it's not as if Griffith was merely being selfish. He had dedicated everything to his dream, yet his feelings for Guts caused him to become weak and vulnerable. This is why I believe he raped Caska, because he wanted to show Guts that he was 'free' to do anything he wanted. Sex is Griffith's form of control. He sold his body to the night to aid his dream, and he also bedded Princess Charlotte for solace after Guts originally left him. I think he's asexual until he needs sex for a specific reason. If that makes sense.

But of course, Griffith had a choice. Even in his emasculated state, he could have lived a normal life. We see him glimpsing into the future, where Caska is his doting wife & carer. Even though he says "this kind of life isn't too bad", he knows that would be betraying himself, and the God Hand conveniently arrive to relinquish him of human reason and remorse.

For me, Griffith was always a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Griffith was always a bastard.

And read the manga, the anime leaves out quite a bit.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
He'll finish it. No way is he going to work on a book since the 1980s then just leave it undone.

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
I don't know if anyone else has been following the news on the new Berserk anime. There's a new project that's supposed to follow the manga more closely and completely, starting with a film trilogy for the Golden Age Arc. The first film is being released in Japan January, 2012.

The Golden Age arc really does it for me, so I'm okay with the anime as it stands, cut off ending and all (I think where it ends perfectly accomplishes "the point" anyway). It'll be cool to see some of the post GA characters in an anime release, but that won't be for a couple years, it seems.

Plus, the CG art is way too bright. I prefer the dull grit of the old anime for this series.

Also, WB? Really? Huh.

I'm mostly hoping that this will motivate Kentaro Miura to keep on trucking. New chapter released recently. Fuck yeah.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I really hope this inspires them to animate the rest of the series.

No offense to the Golden Age arc, I love it to death. But that's sadly the only part of Berserk many people have ever seen or read.

So yeah. I kinda want the other post-Golden Age arcs to be animated too. That's what'll really get me excited.

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
It’s official. The Berserk film project aims to adapt the ‘entire story’ of Kentaro Miura’s original work from the beginning.
I took that to mean that they'll be doing something else for the rest once the Golden Age trilogy is complete. I really think they'd have to do more than just the Golden Age arc to justify remaking the anime since I consider justice done on that front. It isn't that different from the manga.

I want me some Farnese and Serpico weirdness on screen. Some of the action in the manga also really begs to be animated. This could take a while though.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...Is it strange I'm attracted to crazy Farnese?

There's something wrong with me, I'm sure. :monster:

I kinda felt bad when she was no longer the insane, religious crazy lady.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I think they're only going to do the Golden Age. It's more "commercial" anyway. Most people doesn't care for the rest of the story. Sad but true.

I'm still happy I'll get to see more animated Berserk, regardless of what they do (or don't do) after the trilogy.

Top Bottom