• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

bi-weekly art challenge thread

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
outline:
every two weeks, we'll post a prompt for a piece of art and anyone who wants to take part will have that time to post something based on that brief.

it's not a competition, or about having the best technical skill. the main thing is to encourage people to make something no matter what skill level they're at, and to practice art (drawing, painting, traditional or digital, whatever you like) and design. you can post multiple entries, post sketches or finished drawings, post pieces based on old prompts you might have missed. it's not going to be a strict thing.

past prompts:
#001 - design a new summon for the remake of final fantasy vii
#002 - design an airship

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
#001 - 18th ~ 31st may 2019:

design a new summon for the remake of final fantasy vii

it can be based on a mythological creature, a summon from another final fantasy game that didn't appear in the original ffvii, or something completely unique and original, whatever you like

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
when you get a summon that's a woman, they're always sexy ladies and i thought, where's all the old crones. so i did baba yaga, who does earth damage and a bunch of status ailments and lives in a little house that walks on giant chicken legs (in my mind she is fused with the little house but my hands haven't found a way to portray that yet)

did ffvii have earth damage? well it does now

edited to also add a little storyboard for a summon sequence

Attachments

• babayaga.png
    babayaga.png
    409.1 KB · Views: 24
  • babayaga_sb.png
    babayaga_sb.png
    574.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Ghost X

This is Atomos. FFVII doesn't have a gravity summon, iirc, so hence my selection (besides not being interesting in drawing a Diabolos). I figured I'd go with a cosmic entity theme, inspired by Jenova, and thought of the cosmology of the FFVII universe in doing so (eg: "What's Atomos's role in this universe?" etc).

The summoning animation would have it form out of the environment around it (in this case, under Junon, where Mr Dolphin resides), before lightning strikes its mast thing, which causes its mouth to pull everything into infinity. After that, it disintegrates/obliterates.

The inside of its gob was influenced by this surreal image, which I thought looked pretty cool. The skull on its mast thing was inspired by this version.

Attachments

• sketch1558955398274.png
    sketch1558955398274.png
    711.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

a_apple

Pro Adventurer
AKA
orange
The next one was about airships, right? :p
So this is supossed to be some shabby cheap one. I kinda imagined a scenario where this would be the first airship you get in the game. But it couldn't get you over mountains and the ocean (like the tiny bronco) since it's such a piece of junk

Ghost X

For the airship challenge, I decided to place myself in the FFIX world, because I think the airships are the best in that game. I wanted to centre my design around a fish, so I referenced about three fish in it. I guess its function is a rapid transport ship, as there doesn't appear to be much space for cargo and I didn't really draw any thing militaristic on it :P.

The idea being that the tan air balloons of the body inflate around a jet engine, which sucks in air through the front and blasts it out the back for propulsion :wacky:. Got little wings and a rudder to control direction. The red air balloon with the shiny bits I'm sure has another function, yet to be determined, but the idea was for it to have the appearance of legitimacy (ie: there for a reason) :P. The flag designs are taken straight from the game, found on some airship I referenced.

Attachments

• sketch1559269273851.png
    sketch1559269273851.png
    291.8 KB · Views: 13

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
#002 - 1st ~ 14th june 2019:

design an airship

i see some of you getting in early on a topic not formally selected yet :kermit: but that's fine because we're very mellow over here and this saves me from making the choice. also i'm late because the internet on my laptop keeps acting up

this time, the challange is to design an airship. it can be in any style you want, magical fantasy one or a hi-tech futuristic one. anything your mind can imagine

SeaDragon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sjödraken
Look how many artist with great and peculiar artistic styles! this is already my fav thread:mon: and I hope to post something before the weekend.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
pretend this was a planned hiatus and i wasn’t just being a slacker

for a while my internet connection would only work for a short period of the day (by which time i had a bunch of stuff i wanted or needed to do online and some just slipped my mind) and i didn’t want to be formatting posts on my phone. which would have been better than nothing but oh well.

the next prompt is ‘pick a new prompt for me’ (stuff previously mentioned in the threads or a new original idea)

plus anyone can do any prompt they want whenever. it’s anarchy in here.

Ghost X

I worked with Reks as a base for about half the clothing, borrowing also from Vaan, Ewen, Luso, Vossler, and Drace. So not just FFXII, but the broader games set on Ivalice.

About half way through I wondered what kind of character Cloud would be in the time of FFXII, wearing whatever SOLDIER's equivalent is in FFXII (a Judge perhaps?), and pumped up like Vayne infused with manufactured nethicite. I'd draw him like that if I were to redo it. Might draw other characters later.

Attachments

• sketch1563248482111.png
    sketch1563248482111.png
    502.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
oh lord it’s almost a week later and i still didn’t write that post

i have failed you, my thread

Top Bottom