Higher Further Faster
This comic. Right here.

Equal amounts of
mind-blown-2.gif

As well as lots of
happycrying.gif

That makes you feel all
ANTMjtyradance.gif

It's about a society that takes patriarchy to a very extreme level. Women are literally posessions and can be sent to a prison planet nicknamed Bitch Planet for showing any sort of non-compliant behavior that men find offensive. Not being submissive, not being pretty enough, being too fat, not having sex with your husband enough are just some of the reasons women are sent to the prison. So yes, this is a feminist comic book.

Each issue also has an essay at the end talking about feminism and gender equality in our own society.

Kelly Sue DeConnick of Captain Marvel and Pretty Deadly fame is one of the writers on this book. I began reading because of her but really, it is so fab.

Issue number 3 involved an obese woman named Penny being hooked up to a machine that would show her ideal self. A committee of men watched on through screens in the wall, telling her they were only trying to help her.
Penny's ideal self was not shown as being someone thin and pretty as the men all thought would be shown, but herself as she is in the present, causing the commitee to label her as a lost cause. It was a beautiful moment.

20zysj9_zpsg2bn03hd.jpg

Oh and then this happened on Twitter and I nearly died:
Screenshot_2015-04-08-00-18-46_zpsavghodfm.png

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I read the first two issues. They were interesting and I get the appeal to it - especially as a big pro-feminism and anti-patriarchy statement, but it isn't one of the comics that I can see myself reading 'cause it just didn't really connect with me. I get the people that it does fucking love it, and all power to that, but yeah.

(Side note - Image Comics makes a lot of awesome these days)

I am looking forward to hearing about where the story goes from ya.

X :neo:

Top Bottom