• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Bleach (Manga Spoilers Not Tagged) [WSJ]

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Episode 5 was fantastic!
The flashback with Chojiro was the highlight of the episode for me. Really well done in terms of both it’s visuals and emotional impact.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Definitely the best looking episode of Bleach. If one in every ten episodes looks this good then I will be very pleased.

At this point I am inclined to say that overall I find the anime to be an improvement over the manga

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
TYBW Episode #7

Solid directing overall. Doesn't quite fix that bullshit "Byakuya is dead, look at all this imagery to simbolise that the character is dead" will completely "lol just kidding" a few episodes later.

7/10

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
TYBW Episode #7

Solid directing overall. Doesn't quite fix that bullshit "Byakuya is dead, look at all this imagery to simbolise that the character is dead" will completely "lol just kidding" a few episodes later.

7/10

You over on the fanverse forum, cause I swear I just saw this exact post over there?

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Episode #10

A dissapointing showing overall, the episode was carried by the first half with strong aesthetic and solid fight animation but even that's unfortunately surrounded by uninspired and weak storyboarding in every non-fighting frame. I was never expecting something like Yama vs Ywhach but this was an average adaptation of the fight.

Notable highlight: We now have a clear answer as to what Unohana's Bankai form is, still unclear what exact power is though.

6/10

----

Unohana ilustration by Kubo

Episodes #12 & #13 will air simultaneous on December 26th.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Seriously, it's hard to manage maintaining that sort of "visual shepard tone" of a constantly building crescendo when it comes to animation that just feels like it keeps 1-upping itself week after week, but it's really has been delivering on making every episode feel like it's been worth the anticipation. I've also gotta say that there's something about the format of how the episodes all break and end with those quotes that's made each one have a sort of... "completeness" feeling to them like reading a chapter of a manga that's really different from how you feel about most episodically released animation.

Most of the time with anime (little bits of filler/padding for TV timing notwithstanding) it feels like you could just seamlessly string together all of the animation into one long continuous film when it was all done. It's like shows that are designed to be binge-watched and skip through the intro to just flow one episode directly into the next... but Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War isn't like that.

It reminds me of how Chainsaw Man had unique endings every episode and it was one of the other series that's managed to give a similar sort of anticipation of one-upping each previous episode and making each one feel like it's own complete chapter. Bleach: TTYBW has really leaned into that with the episode titles, the closing quotes, and even the halfway mark of the episodes having a REALLY distinct and overt feel that oddly it also reminds me of how Asura's Wrath mimicked the mid-episode commercial breaks of anime and had en episodic segmentation that was overtly intentional.

I think that this somehow manages to make the moments of the animation feel like they have more of their own space to shine, but also because it provides more ways for the team to segment that animation into blocks where you can probably tackle the work in a way that allows a bit more space, since you have a dedicated amount of runtime that's designated to breaks and slower-paced teases. Essentially it feels like it's set up so that you get a consistent rhythm to the flow for every episode, so that they ALWAYS know when and where to lean in and put in the extra effort to make the episode shine.

Additionally, because they always build back to a consistent conclusion it FEELS more satisfying because there's that structural consistency and time where you know it's going to hint or tease at something where that playing with anticipation is a part of the experience, it doesn't have any of that, "Next time on Dragon Ball Z!" sales-pitch-type feel or the fourth wall-breaking character telling you about the upcoming episode feel, which breaks the structure in a way that's not aligned with the narrative structure. An early pseudo version of that would probably be how Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex used the Tachikomatic Days post-episode shorts to tell a story that was happening concurrently and eventually intertwined into the narrative, but even that leaned in on the sort of meta narrative approach being a bit more overtly disconnected.

THIS really delivers the "this episode is over" cliffhangers in a way where the release feels like its own part of the storytelling that I really dig, and I think it's also subconsciously a reason why the animation always feels like it's delivering something even better each episode.

X :neo:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
So far Part 2 has been a let down, many of the key fights of this part of the story such as Kenpachi and Komamura's have had average execution (outside of Rukia's figth).

While Part 2 is comparatively more visually consistent than Part 1 it all comes at the cost of visual variety, not help by the baffling desicion to make the whole giant skydone and its inner surrounding red tinted.

The big disappointment, however, is when Ichigo finally reaches Ywach and finds out Uryu's joined the Sternritter. This should be a pivotal moment for this arc, it should be the biggest emotional climax of the season so far, but it almost feels like an afterthought, making it laughtable that in the middle of the scene we airdrop Chad and Orihime (who's introduced cleavage first, of course) at the last second, as if the narrative only recently remembered they're also part of the story, and hastily threw them in out of obligation. There's not even a sense of betrayal, since all Uryu does is fire a couple of arrows at Ichigo before hopping on God's Escalator. It's a weird, discordant end to an episode that winds up feeling more like homework than entertainment.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
TYBW anime part 2 finale, this was a weird place to end the season?

I liked that they improved the Zero Squad fight at the end, which the manga completely skipped but, the actual fight is just...ok, the only highlight was the new bankai reveal.

The whole season was barely a 6/10.

Part 3 to release sometime in 2024.

f7r8w7hbwaarcmc.jpg

Top Bottom