Bloodborne

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
So, Bloodborne is my first From Soft game I've played...

And yeah, this game is fucking incredible.

I figured I'd give it a shot since it was free for PS5 owners and I wanted something action-like after FF Origin. Heard great things and I was already intrigued and wanting to play it given it's unique aesthetics and genre combination. An open world, horror action RPG. Like, wow. That's my aesthetic. No other From Soft game visually and thematically interested me as much as this one. And so far, it's living up to the hype and more.

I think I'm... Close to half way through this game? Maybe? I'm not sure because I've gone out of order with some things. Ironically this game has not been as hellish to me as folks have said. The only boss that gave me real, frustrating trouble was Father Gascoigne, who took me 3 attempts. All other bosses have thankfully taken me 1 attempt (although I did die to poison from Blood Starved Beast but it died first so lol I just went back and got my Blood Echoes). Hilariously, I find more difficulty dealing with mobs ganging up and slaughtering me in unexpected places. So many random fuckers just coalesce around you and stunlock you to death. But overall, the game has been challenging, but fair.

So far, I've taken down Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, the Blood Starved Beast, the Witches of Hemwick, Darkbeast Paarl, Vicar Amelia, and Amygdala. Amygdala was totally out of order because that fucking fight was down to the wire, I barely made it through that one. Some asshole told me to explore this church where I got grabbed by Amygdala, thrown into a nightmare dimension, and just wandered around until I found that boss waiting for me :monster:

Eileen the Crow is so fucking awesome. I've done her side quest so far and she's just badass. Pure and simple. Found Old Yharnam and killed that old hunter at the Gatling Gun and got his clothes lolol. The side quests in this game are interesting given... The stakes are so high. People's lives (including yourself) are on the line regularly, from just finding shelter, to telling a girl whether her parents are alive or not. They're simple but when combined with the setting, context and abject horror surrounding the hunt, these events make the quests interesting. This whole world is very unique and just wonderful. Horror, bloodshed and cosmic mystery all in one. The main story is sorta basic but like any good open world game, there seems to be a lot more lore to unpack if one wishes to explore everything. Not many NPCs but the ones that aren't... Insane and trying to kill you, are likeable, memorable and interesting.

So far, this game is just amazing. The setting alone got me hooked. Also, serious props to the Saw Spear. It's easily one of the best fucking weapons. I've picked this thing off a corpse and it hasn't failed me yet. Kirkhammer is fun as hell because SMASH. :wacky:

Dunno what other weapons I'll try but Saw Spear is just stupid good so far. Love the Blunderbuss too.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
During every seat, there wasn't a single moment that I wasn't fully convinced that I was playing one of the best games of all time. I was constantly dreaming about this game, I was shaking every time I needed to face the bag man lol

Pure immersion.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Been going through the Old Hunters DLC.

I spoke too soon. These bosses have been beating the shit out of me. :monster:

But this has been thoroughly, enjoyably, challenging.

Except Laurence. He can die in a fire, except he won't. LMAO

Laurence took 30 attempts. Over says. But. I beat him. In fact I saved it because of how memorable of was.

I'm particularly proud of ending the fight right on the crescendo of the epic boss music, in rhythm and everything. Too perfectly timed.

Ludwig the Accursed was also hard as hell. Took me about 12 attempts or so. I ended summoning help for this one too, because this guy was nuts. LMAO

Lady Maria was badass. She took about, 10 to 12 or so attempts, I think. But once I got the hang of her. It was awesome.

This DLC is incredible. An incredible example of value. Loving how this answers some questions about the backstory of this world. However I wish they gave us more characterization. Lady Maria was so amazing and intriguing. She had one of the most badass introductions and then just poofed away. I was so sad.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Lawrence also took me a lot of tries, he actually gets worse the more you dismember him.:wacky: Ludwig's jumps are apocalyptic, they're the end you just need to accept it.

The DLC screams quality. It's perfect.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
To me, for getting my ass kicked multiple times, it becomes personal.

Literally me.

Sometimes you just gotta take a break. If I find myself just feeling too enraged, I'll stop, move on and do some more plot or some other side quest, and once I'm stronger and more clearheaded, I try again. Laurence took some time but what I love about these battles is that the bosses of Bloodborne are "fair."

They have a set pattern. They have a distinct battle "personality" where what they do is somewhat predictable and dictated by your proximity, tactics and damage output. There are "safe spots" that if you move to or stay by, you can either mitigate damage by being in a safe dodging distance, or keeping them from doing their most dangerous attacks. There's real strategy to this.

Only problem that can be a pain is the camera and the lock-on spazzing out for weird reasons. But yeah, I like this. Also reminds me of FFVII-R's optional and difficult boss fights. Challenging as fucking hell, but well designed with clear strategies, predictable yet challenging enemies, and a fairness that makes it work.

Hilariously, From Soft's boss battle design is literally the opposite of KH Birth By Sleep. The Mysterious Figure (Young Xehanort) is like, the textbook example of a terrible action RPG boss fight. Just complete fucking random nonsense, and it still pisses me off :monster: No battle against him is ever the same and he has a ridiculously huge move pool that he can just pull from whenever he wants, and even combine into horribly unfair combinations later through the fight, and it somehow has the ability to REWIND it's damage from a combo and then retort you for lulz.

I'll just say I've never had my hand cramp from repeated button inputs (because you have to abuse the i-frames from dodging just to live) playing Bloodborne and I appreciate that.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I wanted to Elden Ring because of FOMO but I Dark Soul 3'ed instead because I had to wait for my copy. I finally finished Dark Souls 1 last year (on ps3) and I feel like 1 playthrough of these a year is enough. Unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
you know, I kinda feel these games helped me build more resilience in real life. I think it taugh me that anything can be attained with enough dedication, patience, and the courage to... to lose. You can only learn by failing and failing, no short-roads.

I have a bigger appreciation for hard games than before.

Yeah, BB is fantastic and the DLC is even better - every DLC boss fight is a banger, the added weapons are all really cool, and it expands the lore nicely. I also found Laurence to be the hardest, along with the final DLC boss. Ludwig is my absolute favorite boss in all of the games I’ve played so far (BB, DS1, and DS3, though I haven't fought the final two TRC bosses in DS3; I'm still going through ER), pretty much a perfect fight IMO.

I do wish we could’ve seen more of Maria, but I also like how the minimalistic approach to characterization leaves room for interpretation.

To me, for getting my ass kicked multiple times, it becomes personal.
Same. And I totally agree with what you said about building resilience in real life, as well. I think these games really helped me learn to like/appreciate the process of learning and working at getting better at something rather than just being frustrated with the end result not being great at first. Also, I can understand why the gameplay loop isn't for everyone, but personally I find it kind of... chill? in a way. Like the concentration these games require kind of helps me unwind in way that more stereotypical "relaxing" games don't since I can still be thinking about other things while playing those, but with BB/Souls (and other games like Hollow Knight and Cuphead) I can't. And then after the initial learning process it becomes familiar patterns that still require focus, which is also nice.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ludwig is my absolute favorite boss in all of the games I’ve played so far (BB, DS1, and DS3, though I haven't fought the final two TRC bosses in DS3; I'm still going through ER), pretty much a perfect fight IMO.

I don't know if I'd say he's my favorite (that distinction goes to Lady Maria lol) but that fight was badass and incredible. It gave me goosebumps.

Totally exemplified the shonen trope of awakening someone's heart through the honor and redemption of combat LMAO. Ludwig was a rampaging beast, a pure horrifying monster. But through fighting someone strong, something stirred in him. His old self emerged, and his loyal Moonlight Sword called to him, even while in the throes of damnation.

And he regained himself. He stopped being a beast, like literally. His ENEMY TYPE changed. And then he fights you with his sword and you gotta stand up to the legendary Church Hunter as a fellow warrior. I love that shit so much.

And then at the end you can bring him peace and free him from his nightmare. It's a well done boss fight that exudes so much character despite it's brevity. There is a minimalist structure to Bloodborne's characters that works to.. varying degrees of success. But the Ludwig fight is 100% a success.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Holy shit. Never would I have thought a Fishing Hamlet would hold so much horror and hell. :monster:

Getting the Rakuyo is a superboss equivalent challenge, in and of itself. But, I managed it. Parrying, Shaman Bone Blade, and Mololtovs for the win. :wacky:

And then....

I beat the Orphan of Kos.

This took me hours. Four hours of just getting killed over. And over. And over.

But each death, led me to be more familiar with it. And finally, I was able to parry the sonofabitch into submission.

This was Ruby Weapon, Weiss the Immaculate levels of difficulty. And just as rewarding. Really gotta say this DLC was fucking incredible. Like, these fights were so well done and challenging. ARPGs at it's best. You really are rewarded for learning how the boss moves and mastering it's tactics. Just... This was hard asf and rewarding.

Really glad I got this game. Now that I've beaten the DLC, I guess I'll go back to the main story? Maybe I'll do some more Chalice Dungeons. Not sure but I feel great being able to have overcome this DLC. It was amazing.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
So I platinum'd Bloodborne today. :monster:

Beat the game 3 times, and it's easily one of my all time favorite games. An incredible experience. Difficult, challenging but extremely rewarding.

Some highlights from my playthrough.

The final battle, I managed to beat my first time.

And I even managed to do the Chalice Dungeons and fought... The Pthumerian Queen herself.

This game had so much to do, and it was just an amazing experience. Damn, I wish I had gotten into this game sooner LOL

Last edited:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
So I platinum'd Bloodborne today. :monster:

Beat the game 3 times, and it's easily one of my all time favorite games.
FLGf8CSXMAkHrX1.jpg

We are not the same :mon:

D

Deleted member 13557

They deleted it, lmao.

Bloodborne remake will be a PS6 exclusive on launch, remember this comment.

Reactions: Wol
Top Bottom