• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Bravely Default

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm surprised I haven't found a thread about this game. I just picked it up and it feels a lot like a classic Final Fantasy game.

In fact, I'm surprised it isn't one. Though to be honest, what with how the FF series has been the past however long, I would probably be less inclined to pick this game up if it was : /

Between this and Theatrhythm, I feel like my hopes in Square Enix has been somewhat raised. I've been enjoying handheld releases more than console/PC games as of late, and the stuff I've bought from SE I've thoroughly enjoyed.

Anyways, anyone else playing this right now?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I've only played the demo so far, and it was enjoyable. It is very much an FF3 build.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I've heard a lot about it. I wanted to borrow the game from a friend, but the only thing that has me cautious is that it's supposedly incredibly grindy. Apparently there's an auto battle that helps with that, but even then it's pretty heavy. I actually am I big grinder, as of late I just haven't been in the mood.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I finished this game a while ago, and I honestly haven't had as much enjoyment from a FF game in a heck of a long time. It's definitely an old school FF game in all but name that has done extremely well, more so than even Square-Enix had anticipated to the point where they're only now realising that they need to re-strategize and cater back for their core fans:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ly-default-success-sparks-square-enix-rethink

It's an awesome and fun game. Tons of job classes, a fun battle mechanic that can make things really interesting, great characters, and superb voice acting (better than some main FF titles). However, like Splintered mentioned, it can become an incredible grind-frest if you want to max everything out and gain the top abilities for each class. Auto-battle can help out with that a lot though.

The main weakness of the game is definitely the final end segments ... but it's a really solid game otherwise. There's also sequel in the works, so I'm extremely happy.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I put an awful lot of time into this game (100+ hours) to master all the classes (done!) and everything, and thoroughly completed it. But to be honest, it is not any more grindier than older FF titles. I mean, for example I always had to grind in older games to get money to buy newer equipment when I got to some new city, right? Then as you earn money, you also level up. I did the same with Bravely Default. Of course at some point there is no more new equipment or magic and then you have no economic reason to grind... other than the levels.

If you want to master it all, it is going to take time. But which game doesn't take time to have everything mastered and fully done?

The final segments have their weak parts, particularly because at some point they feel more like series of fights with the strongest bosses, etc. than anything else. Even then, I didn't think it was particularly annoying, maybe because I was overlevelled and the bosses ended up not being hard at all :P

Very much looking forward to the sequel...

Fangu

Great Old One
I want to play this game. Listening to the soundtrack right now, and I really like it. Anyone here emulating it?

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I'm playing it right now. :monster: But I'm still on chapter 1. OTL

....Everyone should give me their FC so I can breeze through boss battles by having ridiculously OP friends ending the battle for me in 2 turns. :awesome:

Alice

The Persistent Flourish
I bought the game but I'm messing around with Pokemon still. I expect I'll be glued to it when I do get around to it, since it seems to be the kind of game I've been hoping to see from SE for a while.

I'm almost finished chapter 4. I've really enjoyed it. Up until now the plot hasn't had the depth or the thought-provoking themes I like in my FF, in fact it's felt like a children's game, but recently it's acquired a little more edge and moral ambiguity. Things I like

- the characters and the banter between them
- the lecherous old mage who moonlights as a fashion designer
- Florem
- the dungeons
- I really like the fact that I can turn the random encounter gauge down to zero or up to "every three steps". I can grind when I need to (to level up my newly acquired job classes) and then turn the encounters right off when I want to zip through a dungeon to the boss.
- I love the artwork and their job costumes. Except Time Mage. That one's just stupid.
- the cities are beautiful and I wish we could explore them in more depth. Dragon Quest has always been good for that.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I've only played a few hours, but I agree it's not any more grindy than the standard FF game / JRPG.

I'm not feeling the story just yet, but the characters are super cute. It is some sort of cruel joke telling the dude who has amnesia that his name is "Ringabel" though >.>

I'm really feeling how Street passes work in the game. The rebuilding the town thing is really cool, and reminds me of old Suikoden games where you collect characters to build your castle. I also enjoy how keeping the DS in sleep mode doesn't keep you from making progress.

Also, did anyone else think the AR card cinematic at the beginning was absolutely awesome? I was totally taken by surprise.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I can't say too much about this game because I only reached chapter 3 but honestly... I was too bored with the story and the characters to continue. I loved the classes, the fighting was TONS of fun. I liked that you could set your difficulty to be higher or lower, I liked you could turn battles off to walk peacefully out of the dungeon BD. Ultimately you are in control of the difficulty of the game which is neat.

My problem is just the story and the characters really.. as much as I did love Agnes and Edea's interactions as well as Tiz's character, they lack SO MUCH it's kind of bothersome how boring they are. I don't feel attached to them at all and it makes me not want to continue. Especially Ringabel, typical ladies man and
GASP suffers from memory loss?! THE TRAGEDY

Edea is
the daughter... of THE ENEMY? WOAAAH!

Tiz
LOST HIS ENTIRE HOMETOWN HAVENT SEEN THAT BEFORE

and agnes
IS THIS SUPER SPECIAL BEING WE MUST PROTECT

really these are just boring cliches that seem almost forced into the story and I just ... idk I can't make it any further because while the fighting is fun and while I want to get all of the job classes it's just SO BORING I CANT? maybe if i had nothing else to play i'd try to complete it but i have a lot of games rn that are 100 times more interesting tbh

also the voice acting was so bad i had to turn it to the japanese voices (WHICH WERE SO MUCH BETTER HOLY SHIT)

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Yeah agreed the characters are giant snooze fests. I enjoy them more than I do say, the cast of the FF3 remake, but honestly that's not saying all that much.

Tbh the only reason I like them at all is because they're so tiny and cute and moe. Of the main four I only find Ringabel straight up annoying, the other three serve their purpose well enough while being cute.

I really wish
the villains who carry the asterisks could have stuck around? They kind of just stay dead after you get their job class. It could have been cool of they made a more fleshed out collective of antagonists that stick around. They seem to have decent enough preset personalities, and honestly have as much potential to be as diverse and colourful group of villains as organisation 13 in KH. I feel like having consistent antagonists would help the story quality by a lot : /

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
also the voice acting was so bad i had to turn it to the japanese voices (WHICH WERE SO MUCH BETTER HOLY SHIT)

Woah! Now this I have to take an issue with. If you thought the story and characters were bland, that's one thing (though you really do need to go beyond chapter 3 before everything really kicks in) but the voice-acting in this game is incredible and far outstrips anything in most of the main FF titles. To say it's not even on a good level but 'so bad' is doing the cast a great disservice here. They each play their respective roles perfectly and give it all in every scene.

From the nuances that Agnes' actress brings to the 'sheltered temple girl' role (and the running joke of her phrase - "this is unacceptable!") and the raw pain in her voice during the crystal segments, to Ringabel's cool and calm flirtatious tones ... seriously. It sounds a little like you might be confusing what you see as bland characters with bad voice acting. The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can have great voice acting for bland / text-book characters.

This is one issue that I really will champion with for this game. It's old school, and yes the character templates aren't nothing new, and it can become an incredible grind-fest ... but the voice acting is far better than 'bad'.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
@Claymore- I suppose we have different definitions between good and bad, I'm usually not that picky with dubbed voices in the first place, I find certain charm in old dubbed voices in old games no matter how bad the voices might be (im looking at u resident evil) but these ones were just silly. *ESPECIALLY* Ringabel's, in my opinion. They tried making him sound suave and flirtatious but it was almost like they were trying *TOO* hard. Agnes sounds the complete opposite of what she acts like--not only that but flat out emotionless at some points, Edea and Tiz's voices are actually okay but they aren't the greatest. The NPCS were atrocious.

The Japanese voice for Agnes was SPOT ON and the Japanese voice for Ringabel made him bearable. uvu

that's a difference in our opinions tho i guess :monster:

EDIT: and no trust me im not confused, i changed their voices when i first started the game (sometime in chapter 1) and was still enjoying it. they were that awful to me

Last edited:

Serah Farron

Donator
the voice-acting in this game is incredible and far outstrips anything in most of the main FF titles. .

uY6cJF9.jpg

BD's JP voices ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BD's Eng voices

english was terrible and made me wanted to rip my ears off. some of the worst voice acting since chaos wars

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
....Wait a minute. We can switch between Japanese voices and English voices?! HOW AND WHERE.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Menu , then Tactics, continue to Config, then obviously Message Settings aaand Voice Settings. And it's done! :)

I actually used Spanish text with Japanese voices. UBER COOL.

And for all those who talk about villains that don't stick and main characters that are boring... SPOILER WARNING:
Please, keep playing! :)

... but these ones were just silly. *ESPECIALLY* Ringabel's, in my opinion. They tried making him sound suave and flirtatious but it was almost like they were trying *TOO* hard. Agnes sounds the complete opposite of what she acts like--not only that but flat out emotionless at some points, Edea and Tiz's voices are actually okay but they aren't the greatest. The NPCS were atrocious.

The Japanese voice for Agnes was SPOT ON and the Japanese voice for Ringabel made him bearable. uvu

I can't speak for the Japanese voices because I haven't heard them, but for me, Ringabel trying too hard to be suave and flirtatious was the whole point. I thought Agnes was quite good, actually - she comes across as soft-spoken and nervous, which is exactly how she would be, having spent her life in almost complete solitude, but she can also speak with tremendous authority, and even sound hard, especially when she has to make difficult moral choices. Tiz has the thankless task of being Mr Ordinary Everyman, and Edea, well, she's my favourite.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I'm pretty ambivalent about English voices -- I just think it's really amusing that Ringabel's VA is the same guy who did Shinji in the English dub and it makes me giggle every time I hear him talk.

But his seiyuu voiced Aoba in DRAMAtical Murder...and that's why I had to switch over. :awesome: (Also it makes me focus more on the dialogue, if I hear the voices in Japanese.)

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Agnes' voice reminds me of FFX Yuna. I enjoyed that voice acting though I know a lot of people didn't. I feel like similar criticisms apply to the performance of Agnes.

Was playing with someone else today who had the Japanese voices turned on. While I do have a soft spot for the really dorky, over the top voices for the villains, I must admit the leads are much more serious and convincing in the Japanese.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I think I'm just about finished with chapter 4. Just cleared Vampire's castle and had a lot of plot and exposition thrown at me and I think I might know who the real bad guy is.

Also, all my friends (not you guys in general) need to update their data cause all my friend summons are doing 1 point of damage per attack...xD

Top Bottom