• Due to datamining of the demo files, substantial leaks are now everywhere. As a reminder, some of these are in-development screenshots and may point to events that aren't going to be in the final game. Some of them are clearly going to be in the game. The TLS stance is this: Any thread which will contain discussion on the leaked images/ details must clearly contain [SPOILERS] within the title. Anything within those threads does not need to be spoiler tagged. Any POST anywhere on the board containing spoilers must be spoiler tagged or it will be removed and warned. Please report this where you see it. Let's try to make sure everyone can still freely post until everyone has a chance to play this game please!
  • The game is shipping early to some across the world. We have a spoiler section with spoiler threads that are hidden from the new posts button. This was planned to be removed on April 10th. To allow users better access to these threads and ongoing discussion, this feature will be removed earlier. Do not panic - spoilers are not allowed in thread titles and are clearly tagged. You will not be spoiled unless you click on the threads and read them.

Buster sword - honorific name or belittle one ?

Hi there,

I get this translation for "Buster" (google) : name - used as a mildly disrespectful or humorous form of address, especially to a man or boy.
English is not my mother tongue and I always had the feeling that "Buster" had a more heroic meaning, something like "capable of clearing any enemy".
Can you tell me how you understand it ?

That's close to my first feeling :)

I noticed that many object names are written in katakana in the original text, including "Buster Sword" which is written バ ス タ ー ソ ー ド(Basutāsōdo). I wonder why in this case (and in other) they would not rather have preferred a more traditional writing.

Perhaps in order to help with the accuracy of the translation, it would have been easier to guide the translators if the important words had been pre-translated (katakanaed) originally. But it seems that the game is not especially known for the quality of its translation ...

And then I imagine that it is still a difficulty for japanese people (children) to have to decrypt / understand the phonetics of an English word in order to understand a sentence from a Japanese work. "Sword" I'd like it to be a generic enough term to be known in its English version, but "Buster"?
What would be the reason for this choice ?

There were probably already Katakana/English dictionaries. Perhaps it is an educational trick that was meant to help the Japanese to learn English more easily.

Last edited:
Maybe it's "the guy's sword" like with the character Guybrush from The Secret of Monkey Island that got its name from the texture/brush file guy.brush when they hadn't given him a name yet.

Top Bottom