Can anyone recommend a free photo editing program?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yep seconding GIMP.

I mean I found it a little fiddly but only cos I was used to photoshop, but like Obsidian said it does most of what you need it to :)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Krita is apparently very good though I've never tried it. I use Gimp. It's not entirely beginner-friendly but it does everything I need it to.

I know pixlr, I've used it and like it; it's good for a lot of things, but not for making a yearbook.

Definitely going to try Gimp, it sounds like it could be what we need.

Literally Who?

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
In all seriousness though why not just get Photoshop?
Gimp isn't that great imo and the only upside is that you don't feel bad for like 3 seconds for downloading it over pirating photoshop, but the loss of features and jank that comes with it don't outweigh moral compasses pointing in the right direction imo.

Plus a serious argument can be made that Adobe doesn't care if you pirate Photoshop, AE, Premier etc.

The prices are heavily weighted with selling in bulk to production houses and companies in addition to cuts with steep discounts to students. In short they never created the price points for it with the general consumer in mind. (Same for other plug ins, my Boris one was 2500$ when it was new etc.)

I think an argument could even possibly be made about how they don't care if you pirate their stuff. Especially considering the method of "cracking" every Adobe product for literally the last 10+ years has been changing the amtlib.dll for one that doesn't ping their servers. If you don't get what this means, basically for the last 10 years in EVERY product Adobe makes, you literally just copy and paste a 10 year old file into the folder and delete the original one.

Don't get me wrong I'm generally not a advocate for sailing the piracy seas. Heck I'm even the type of person who occasionally gets hate boners against second hand markets like G2A for how they effect legitimate businesses with their thievery.

But IMO this is a case where if the company clearly doesn't care, neither should you.

Tetsujin

Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah
AKA
Tets
I actually downloaded Photoshop CS2 from Adobe's site for free. :monster:

Basically the entire CS2 stuff could (and still can, I think?) be downloaded from their site just like that. Officially intended only for people who already own a license in case you lose your key or something because there's no validation or support for it anymore or uh. Something like that.

But eitherway they don't check whether you have a license, it's just "but totally only download this if you own it legally, okay?" and that's it.

Of course, CS2 is a couple years old by now.

Literally Who?

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I actually downloaded Photoshop CS2 from Adobe's site for free. :monster:

Basically the entire CS2 stuff could (and still can, I think?) be downloaded from their site just like that. Officially intended only for people who already own a license in case you lose your key or something because there's no validation or support for it anymore or uh. Something like that.

But eitherway they don't check whether you have a license, it's just "but totally only download this if you own it legally, okay?" and that's it.

Of course, CS2 is a couple years old by now.
Oh man Nostalgia goggles. I'm gonna have to go download it and mess around I'm like 90% CS2 or CS3 were the very first versions of Photoshop I ever used back in the day lol.

AKA
The Engineer
As someone who has both GIMP and Photoshop, there's really not that much of a difference when it comes to what they actually do. Like, unless you're doing something crazy advanced, it really doesn't matter. The biggest difference is the UI TBH. I pretty much learned how to use GIMP by following Photoshop tutorials and didn't have that much trouble figuring out what all the tool analogues were.

And there's the stuff that GIMP does that Photoshop doesn't do (or does very clunky) which I use all the time...

If you're making a yearbook though... Photoshop probably isn't what you want. I'm assuming that what you're mainly doing is setting text and dropping in photos? If you're doing mostly that instead of editing images, Adobe InDesign is a better thing to go with. It has nowhere near the image editing capabilities that Photoshop does, but it is much, much better at preparing text + images for printing. InDesign is one of the few Adobe programs I've yet to find a good free alternative for.

It's for my Yearbook class. I have a couple of boys who could basically make a living using Photoshop, and then a much larger number of boys and girls who have never done any photo editing beyond adding some filters on instagram and so on (actually I don't know what Instagram does, I don't have an account). The school isn't keen on paying all that money for an Adobe licence. I can let the kids pirate it individually as long as they don't officially tell me that is what they are doing.

Gimp is more than adequate for what we need to do, and if they get into it they can get themselves Photoshop. Maybe even buy it.

Tets I will look into seeing if I can download Cs2 for free. That's really helpful. I actually have photoshop on my Mac, the school paid for the complete suite for me but won't pay for the kids.

Lex

Administrator
I use Photoshop and have been doing so for years (also started with CS2 back in the day, currently have CS6). I've tried GIMP once or twice and it's pretty good, but I'm so used to Photoshop at this point I've just never bothered to make the switch. GIMP is probably fine for your purposes Lic.

With all this license chat going on I'm reminded that I need to get a Microsoft Office 2016 license. I need my excel and word capabilities bad and I don't currently have access to them >.<. I also need to look into getting Visio for floor planning.

Probably gonna get lynched for this but I rather liked paint.net. It's not as resource heavy as photoshop and you can DL all the extra brushes and tools and there's lots of online tutorials and a helpful community.
Having said that I'm damn tempted by free CS2. :awesome:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
PDN is valid, there's just a few annoyances that keep bugging me (mind you I only use it for cropping something from time to time); a nagging popup when I paste something larger than the current canvas (that is all the time), and a popup when it exits that will stop the computerer from shutting down.

Top Bottom