• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Can we have some news articles please [Oct 2018]

Lex

Administrator
Hi folks,

Would someone or more than one be willing to write a couple of articles covering news over the last while?

- One for the upcoming release of the Yen Press translations of OTWTAS and the news that the Turks novel is also getting a translation: https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/otwtas-published-in-the-uk-in-october.20722/#post-793430

- One for the video in which Uematsu tries to say the remake was supposed to come out this year again: https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/remake-interviews-catch-all-thread.17121/page-43

Cheers

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Would it be worth writing an opinion piece on what's up with the OTWTAS release being so shit? Pre-orders not being fulfilled seems to be quite an issue, if we could speak to someone at Yen Press that would be good (not holding my breath though). Could be a worthwhile exercise if only to remind people that we had an English translation available before it was cool.
Also on that subject, where do we stand on that now an official version has been released? Are we in breach of any copyright? This isn't something I've got experience in but from my broader legal knowledge I'm going to posit that since our translation predates the English release by a substantial margin, we're good. I'm happy to be corrected on that though.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
I mean, they'll have copyrighted their translation, their words, but that means ours is still as infringing on the copyright of the original Japanese text as much as it ever was/wasn't before. And I don't know where we stand with that.

I guess Yen Press might have a claim on the grounds they might lose business from us making it available for free? But idk they don't seem very together or aware so who knows.

Lex

Administrator
Back when this was first announced I was contacted by a former TLS staffer who provided dire warnings that I should "pull all the translatons because they'll be coming after you" but I don't see any reason to do that until we're formally requested to do so by an official body - at the end of the day we've provided the English translations for nearly 10 years where none was available.

I also btw reached out to Yen press at the same time to discuss the news way back when the first English translations were announced and didn't get a response even though I was quite persistent. It's a weird one for sure.

Lex

Administrator
If we get a C&D we'll pull them, we'll leave them up until such time as one is received. There's no point in pre-emptively nuking one of the more unique draws to the site. Even in the event that it happens I'll be proud that TLS provided access to these stories in English for many years before a publisher finally had the sense to translate it.

The audiobooks are another matter.

Lex

Administrator
Would it be worth writing an opinion piece on what's up with the OTWTAS release being so shit? Pre-orders not being fulfilled seems to be quite an issue, if we could speak to someone at Yen Press that would be good (not holding my breath though). Could be a worthwhile exercise if only to remind people that we had an English translation available before it was cool.
Also on that subject, where do we stand on that now an official version has been released? Are we in breach of any copyright? This isn't something I've got experience in but from my broader legal knowledge I'm going to posit that since our translation predates the English release by a substantial margin, we're good. I'm happy to be corrected on that though.

I just realised my response doesn't actually cover your suggestion of an opinion piece on the pre-orders, we got bogged down chatting about copyright - I think it's a good idea if someone wants to do it, but also I'm wary of putting up a blast piece of Yen Press considering the hazy copyright discussion XD. No reason to censor ourselves I guess, so fuck it go for it if you want to? :D

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I wonder if any remaining unfulfilled pre-orders are more the fault of distributors? I ordered my copy a week or so after release and had it in two days, so -- based on that one case, admittedly -- I don't particularly get the impression the book is unavailable so much as not being delivered to some folks in a timely manner for whatever reason.

Top Bottom