Catch-all R.I.P. thrad

With all the other celebrity deaths this year, I had the fortune of not being familiar enough with their history and work for me to be personally affected. With Carrie Fisher...I feel sadness. More than I expected.

She is even survived by her own mother. Damn.

EDIT:

200_s.gif

Last edited:

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
The only celebrity deaths that really punched me in the gut this year were Nick Menza, the former Dallas Cowboys receivers coach from the 90s Super Bowl teams, Kenny Baker, and now Fisher.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
It's sad she won't get to see the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, she was a princess that inspired millions of people.

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
I have found myself crying a lot today. Crying about the death of a woman I didn't know. I never even had the pleasure of meeting her but the loss feels so huge that it's like losing a family member. I am so gutted and hurt. My heart has broken into a thousand pieces.

Some of my earliest memories as a child are of Star Wars. I have loved the films almost literally from birth. I was born in 1981 so I missed the original releases of ANH and ESB but I remember as a very young boy going to my Uncle's house for a cookout and he and his girlfriend were watching ANH. I couldn't take my eyes off the film. I loved the characters. I loved the adventure. Along with He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Star Wars fueled my imagination and continues to do so still today.

It is Princess Leia that has informed me as a writer on what it is to be a true heroine. She continues to this day to inspire the heroine's in my original creations. Never the stereotypical damsel in distress. Kind. Wise beyond her years. Ready for action when the need arises. Loving. Witty. Maybe most importantly, a HUGE heart. Without Carrie's terrific performance, I wonder if I would have been so inspired by the character.

I know that she was more than a screen star but that is and always will be what I remember her best for.

God love you, Carrie. May the Force be with you...always.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
When I was a child, I was only a casual viewer of Star Wars, not even realizing that I'd end up being a fan as an adult, to the point of using Hayden Christensen/Anakin Skywalker avatars on message boards that have nothing to do with Star Wars. However, when I was exposed to Star Wars, two characters in particular stood out to me above the rest; Darth Vader and Princess Leia. Leia stood out to me because she was the first female character I was ever exposed to that was a major badass, and the first fictional Princess of that type as well. To this day, Leia Amidala Skywalker (yes, I'm using her birth name here) remains my unquestioned favorite female character in all of Star Wars, and it is tragic that she left us far too soon, especially with more Star Wars movies just around the corner. The impact her passing will have on the future of the franchise is the least of my thoughts right now, and it's tasteless to even think about Leia's in-universe fate at this moment. All that's on my mind is how much Carrie Fisher defined the role of Princess Leia, and how much she will be missed.

And for the record, my favorite Leia moment was when she killed Jabba the Hutt.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I forgot that Debbie Eeynolds was in Singing in the Rain. We lost two incredible actresses.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
It is a sad twist of fate that both Carrie's Star Wars mother and IRL mother have both died of a broken heart. (Thankfully, the fictional Star Wars mother's actress is alive, well, and even expecting IRL)

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Perhaps most shocking about 2016's reputation of rampant celebrity deaths is the one name we have not heard this year (or even in this thread, for that matter); Keith Richards. How this guy is still alive, despite the massive amount of drugs he's done in his life, is beyond me.

....You just jinxed his upcoming death. Next we'll be hearing HIM landing in hospital just one day before the end of 2016!:'(

With all the other celebrity deaths this year, I had the fortune of not being familiar enough with their history and work for me to be personally affected. With Carrie Fisher...I feel sadness. More than I expected.

She is even survived by her own mother. Damn.

Only by one day. Normally other parents who outlive their children live several years later(with the exception of my brother in law's grandmother who died in the same year as his father who is her son). This is a horrible new world record.

The only celebrity deaths that really punched me in the gut this year were Nick Menza, the former Dallas Cowboys receivers coach from the 90s Super Bowl teams, Kenny Baker, and now Fisher.

Let's not forget Alan Young who died in May this year too.

It's sad she won't get to see the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, she was a princess that inspired millions of people.

And that we won't be able to see her in Star Wars Episode IX either. Her character will have to either be replaced by another actress or have Princess Leia's death announced in the opening crawling words in the beginning of the final movie of the sequel trilogy, because I don't think they'd want to cancel the new trilogy.

Debbie Reynolds, mother of Carrie Fisher, has passed away at 84 after suffering a stroke.

http://ew.com/movies/2016/12/28/debbie-reynolds-dead-hollywood-legend-dies/

What a horrible time for their family.

Especially since Debbie Reynolds was starting to organize her daughter's funeral. Now it's her son who is also Carrie's brother and Carrie's daughter who will both have organize TWO funerals!

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
For any of us millennials, Debbie Reynolds also played the grandmother in the Halloweentown series. I didn't realize she was played by her until now. In their honor, we should watch Singing In the Rain and the Star Wars original trilogy in their honor. No prequels!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
In their honor, we should watch Singing In the Rain and the Star Wars original trilogy in their honor. No prequels!

My Mother just said the exact same thing that you said just moments ago when I told her about Debbie Reynold's passing. Literally, LOL.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Debbie Reynolds, mother of Carrie Fisher, has passed away at 84 after suffering a stroke.

Jesus Christ, what are the odds of that ever happening? :(

I think we all had the feeling 2016 was going to be a rough year for celebrities as soon as David Bowie checked out, but none of us saw 2016 leaving behind a cruel parting shot like Carrie and Debbie within 36 hours of each other.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

Jesus Christ, what are the odds of that ever happening? :(

I think we all had the feeling 2016 was going to be a rough year for celebrities as soon as David Bowie checked out, but none of us saw 2016 leaving behind a cruel parting shot like Carrie and Debbie within 36 hours of each other.

I honestly didn't think so many celebrities would just die in just one year, let alone what happened to both Carrie and her mother.

...Well, at least Debbie is reunited with her daughter in Heaven now and they both managed to survive long enough to have one final Christmas.

Still, for Carrie's daughter to lose both her mother and her grandmother in just one week, not to mention being just three months older than myself, that's a cruel and unfair punishment. Some HappyNew Year she and her uncle and two aunts are gonna be having on Sunday.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Top Bottom