Character Battle SF1: Cloud vs Vivi

Which of these characters do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Of the eight characters who made it to the knock-out stage, Vivi had the most votes in the qualifying round, while Cloud had the most votes in the group round. That should make for an interesting contest here. Cloud is surely the favourite, but I think some people might be determined to stop him from winning the contest by voting against him. That, added to Vivi's already strong popularity, gives me just a slight hope that we'll at least see a close battle. Personally I don't mind who goes through, as I like them both.

ti8V3.png

Who is your favourite of these two characters? Please post an explanation after you vote.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Damn, this is difficult.

I think I'm going to go with Vivi, cos in a weird way I feel like I can relate to him more, he has that whole Blade Runner thing going on when he knows he's going to die soon, but he's such an endearing character.

My problems with Cloud all started with the compilation and have been talked to death.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Vivi, on the basis that while they both had issues coming to terms with there reality, Vivi was far less of a little bitch about it :monster:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Definitely going for Vivi here. He's so precious. He really grew a lot as a character... I mean, so did Cloud but I love that Vivi started out as a clumsy child that gained bravery and friendships and discovered more about himself as well. And his story is such a sad one, finding out that he's just going to stop existing ='( . And when he sees all the black mages die and the black mage village omg my heart. But Vivi really doesn't take anything for granted unlike Cloud (not saying he didn't have a reason to be down on himself and sad etc) I just really love how much Vivi appreciates his friendships and DOESN'T leave others behind no matter what the circumstances ;w;

penandpaper

Pro Adventurer
I have to go with Cloud as I really do love the way his character is presented and developed over the course of the game. He, in a sense, feels real to me.

Unpopular opinion, I can't say that I didn't have any issues with the way his character was handled over the course of the Compilation, but I thought a lot of it made sense. He's been through a lot and the fact that the writers tried to deal with his issues instead of ignoring them and pretending that the game ending would make them all better was something that I approved of in the end.

Overall, he's a character that I connected to very strongly and I really adore him, so my vote goes to Cloud. :)

Yay Cloud! :joy:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
What a pleasant surprise to see Vivi in front by a pretty substantial margin. Other people have already explained why.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Vivi simply has more of an endearing and heart warming story.

I prefer that sort of the thing in an RPG to the general depression that comes with Cloud's story.

Last edited:

penandpaper

Pro Adventurer
Wait. Weren't these contests supposed to be based on the original source material and not anything extra? Am I remembering this incorrectly? In which case, it should be FF7!Cloud vs. FF9!Vivi without the FF7 Compilation really entering into it, whether you like it or not (in whole or in part).

I'd have voted for Cloud either way as I do really enjoy his story whether the FF7 Compilation is included or not, but I guess it's worth keeping in mind in general. Unless I'm wrong in which case ignore me. :)

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Sorry Vivi, I know I said us Black Mages gotta stick together and all but... he's Cloud. And he's losing somehow. He needs my vote more than you.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It is meant to be the characters from the original games competing - which is why characters like Zack and Paine were not eligible - but I understand that the events of spin-off games, sequels etc affect people's perceptions of the characters, so it's unreasonable to say outright "ignore everything you've learnt in (for example) the compilation". Everyone can make their own decision about what criteria to take into consideration when deciding their votes.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
cloud is a very interesting hero

but vivi probably has the best story out of any final fantasy character

Rapunzel

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jibrille
I voted for Cloud (though, I'm still mad at him for beating Celes :-( ).

I love him in the original game, not so much in the complication, but he went through tremendous character growth, and I can see why he was like that in AC.

Either going through is honestly fine by me, though.^^

Ghost X

All right, Vivi! Vivi is gonna win, Vivi is gonna win, or so I hope. Oh, and explanation, uh, Vivi is adorable.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Voted for Cloud, though I'm thrilled he might actually lose. Less predictability is always a good thing in a playoff.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Much s I adore Vivi I just don't feel like he has the same sort of depth as a character that Cloud does.

AvecAloes

Donator
I had to go with Vivi for this one, though thinking about scenes such as when Cloud and Tifa are stuck in the Lifestream together did give me pause. Both are characters with tragic stories, and both Cloud and Vivi had fears, doubts, questions, and confusion about themselves, but the way Vivi grew and came to accept who/what he was in the end eeked him further ahead than Cloud in my own opinion of the characters.

Ghost X

There are apparently 350 odd active members on this forum (including our bot overlords, I guess), 32 have voted. I'm hoping 334 of you like Vivi, and vote in such a way :awesome:.

Top Bottom