SPOILERS Character Deaths in Future FF7:R (*Open Spoilers*)

argent_angel

Pro Adventurer
As horrible as this sounds, I want SE to keep Aerith's death. If that's not done, then they ruined the whole thing. The complete story is hinged on her death. So yeah, Aerith has to die.

Also, I personally found Cait Sith #1's death to be sad. I think his death is negotiable, but I rather see them keep it then not. Again, it's a plot point that's important.

All I can say is... these games are going to be heart string pullers.

Aerith only "has" to die in OG7's story. I'll be pretty disappointed if after all we've seen and interpreted at this point if things going forward aren't fundamentally different. If they want us to ride the same roller coaster then just remaster it. If they want us to ride the same roller coaster but this time it has a few extra turns then why bother adding so many things and emphasizing them that og7 didn't have (plot ghosts, defying destiny, Aerith acting different, Sephiroth acting strange, visions of the future, etc.) If this is a sequel and a remake they can go crazy with it. The whole thing is how well they deliver it all.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
You know, I wondered about that too. If there is a time loop with an AU with Zack joining the battle against Sephiroth, then surely it means that there are other paths that the AU timeline is here to explore. I'm guessing we should only see glimpses of it though.

Also, I think they came up with this because they love Zack and wanted to include him more in FFVII lol.

You mean it would better if Meteor destroyed the Planet?
But seriously, I think that's an interesting question. I'd be really quite surprised, and impressed, if SE girded themselves to ditch ACC canon in favour of a "better" ending this time around.

(Like Aerith realising Tseng was her true love all along. And Tifa shacking up with Rude. And Jessie being alive for Cloud...)
:desucait:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Honestly I wouldn't mind because AC/C is pretty poo, even if better than AC which is pure garbage, characterisation-wise.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
I’d be very disappointed in the remake if Aerith ended up living. A very important aspect to her death was that it was irreversible, it’s a loss that you can never get back, something that comes suddenly and doesn’t always gives you the luxury of closure. If she lives, well, I guess death is irreversible… until they want to make a new game 30 years later and they need something big to shock people.

Plot twists and subverted expectations can be fun, but after all is said and done, the thrill of the novelty fades away, leaving you to ponder the meaning behind certain choices. The remake project doesn’t happen in a vacuum, and I just can't imagine a way where removing that death doesn't lessen the universal truth about death that FFVII has stubbornly been trying to convey for 23 years.

argent_angel

Pro Adventurer
But seriously, I think that's an interesting question. I'd be really quite surprised, and impressed, if SE girded themselves to ditch ACC canon in favour of a "better" ending this time around.

(Like Aerith realising Tseng was her true love all along. And Tifa shacking up with Rude. And Jessie being alive for Cloud...)

Nope. This is the scene that plays after the credits in original FF7. Its a spoiler by the way if you haven't played the original or obviously haven't seen it.

Do we interpret this as a good ending or a bad ending?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody

I like the way you think.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
There has to be more than one way in which the Planet can be saved, then.

Well, there probably was. Holy only failed to stop Meteor because it took so long to get Sephiroth out of its way.

Nope. This is the scene that plays after the credits in original FF7. Its a spoiler by the way if you haven't played the original or obviously haven't seen it.

Do we interpret this as a good ending or a bad ending?
We know it's a good ending. The planet has healed and humanity is now living in harmony with it.

argent_angel

Pro Adventurer
I’d be very disappointed in the remake if Aerith ended up living. A very important aspect to her death was that it was irreversible, it’s a loss that you can never get back, something that comes suddenly and doesn’t always gives you the luxury of closure. If she lives, well, I guess death is irreversible… until they want to make a new game 30 years later and they need something big to shock people.

Plot twists and subverted expectations can be fun, but after all is said and done, the thrill of the novelty fades away, leaving you to ponder the meaning behind certain choices. The remake project doesn’t happen in a vacuum, and I just can't imagine a way where removing that death doesn't lessen the universal truth about death that FFVII has stubbornly been trying to convey for 23 years.

OG7's story still stands. If they just want to rehash what they did before then I don't see why not just make it a remaster. All of this extra stuff we have points to new things being on the table now. I see where you're coming from but I'm also looking at all the possibilities there are now. I'm curious where they will go with remake and how bold they will be with it.

I know this thread is about the playable characters, but I just want to put this out there: I hope Palmer dies in the Remake series.

The Remake has changed Palmer from a bumbling joke into a cowardly, bumbling joke with an evil grin and who (most importantly) laughs with joy at the idea of torture.

Let him die. Horribly. I look forward to it.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Aerith only "has" to die in OG7's story. I'll be pretty disappointed if after all we've seen and interpreted at this point if things going forward aren't fundamentally different. If they want us to ride the same roller coaster then just remaster it. If they want us to ride the same roller coaster but this time it has a few extra turns then why bother adding so many things and emphasizing them that og7 didn't have (plot ghosts, defying destiny, Aerith acting different, Sephiroth acting strange, visions of the future, etc.) If this is a sequel and a remake they can go crazy with it. The whole thing is how well they deliver it all.
I mean the developer interviews/statements have already said that the Remake project isn't going to be fundamentally different and to expect the major OG plot points/locations to be covered, even with the "four big mysteries" the first installment left us with, the development team seems confident that the Remake is still going to be faithful to the OG overall.

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yup I am confident that if there are death or non-death that differ from the OG, it will be an AU timeline. It's funny they mentioned Biggs is supposed to make you feel uneasy, does this mean he is in Zack's timeline and not in the normal timeline?

argent_angel

Pro Adventurer
I mean the developer interviews/statements have already said that the Remake project isn't going to be fundamentally different and to expect the major OG plot points/locations to be covered, even with the "four big mysteries" the first installment left us with, the team seems confident that the Remake is still going to be faithful to the OG overall.

Do you see Aerith and Sephiroth in the remake as fundamentally different than their depiction in og7?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Do you see Aerith and Sephiroth in the remake as fundamentally different than their depiction in og7?
I would say that they definitely have significant additions/new mysteries to them (the Remake Ultimania even refers to the ambiguity of Aerith's knowledge and Sephiroth's deal as two of the four big mysteries of part 1), but I wouldn't say that they are fundamentally different from their OG depictions (besides Sephiroth having more early screen-time).

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
I start getting annoyed by this "If not Aerith, it will be someone else" fan' theory. Do people really think they killed off Aerith in 97 just for shock factor? Not many had cared much about Zack until his own game because we learnt his death really had weight. Everyone knew of Zack's last stand, nonetheless CC's ending is still very memorable.

There won't be 1:1 equivalent trade. No one in the party has Cetra's power, what's the point killing them?
If you were suggesting that they'd kill off Cloud so Zack could be the main character and have his Disney Ending with Aerith. It might be more believable than killing off random party' member for no reason.

Last edited:

Sephira

That Silver-haired Lady
AKA
Sephiravania
Keeping Aerith alive wouldn't be wise of Square-Enix, IMO. I mean, her death is pivotal to the story, and changing that would be--- mñeh, I dunno, as they would be changing the essence of the game, or at least that's what I think. What they could do is change the when, just like you have commented above, and even though, I think it should happen in the City of the Ancients, just like in the OG. What I've seen so far is that things are happening in the same order than in the OG, but in different ways. We have the starting point with the destruction of Mako Reactor 1 and from there things are pretty much the same, but with many small (and interesting) things in the middle, thus expanding the story.

... Aaaaaaaand I knew they wouldn't have Reno pressing the button.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I am very on the fence about Aerith remaining dead or not but my feelings about it are that recreating her death 1:1 with the original is just not going to fly with all the changes. Aerith's death happened because of a series of circumstances related to Cloud's deteriorating mental state that ultimately left her feeling completely unsafe with the group, which led to her leaving, which led to her death. But if they're pulling back on Cloud's violent tendencies when he Checks Out, we're removing a huge factor that led to her death in the first place. And then this first part of the remake ends on a note of "all bets are off anything can happen now". Just having her die cause it's ~supposed~ to happen, even if it doesn't fit in with the new narrative, would feel empty imo. and lbr, i don't think they would've introduced a sub plot that basically involves save scumming ghosts if they didn't at least consider changing what happens to her, cause this is clearly the first thing people are going to jump to and the writers all know it.

Basically I just want it to make sense (I know this is asking for a lot) and remain and emotional punch. to be perfectly honest I don't think it will ruin the game if she lives -- ff7r and ff7OG are two different games/universes as far as I'm concerned and what works for one might not work for another. But I think it would be silly to introduce this concept of changing fate only to be like "lol except for you Aerith fate's inevitable in this one case"

ALSO maybe it's just me but i don't trust modern day ff death scenes they're just so bad. a big part of what made Aerith's death so iconic was the way it was directed. The act was sudden, and then time slows as the reality sinks in and all you hear is the heartbeat slow down until her materia falls and the first note of her theme plays and continues through the boss battle...if that shit happened in Nomura 2020 it would just not hit the same

Eerie

Fire and Blood
But who's to say that Cloud is not going to be violent? I mean, he already scared Tifa in this first part, I don't expect them to back off from that scene actually. The where might change, although I think that location and how she dies are pretty iconic so...

So far, if the visions are to be t rusted, they're going to recreate it the same way though. I guess we'll see but with them reasserting that we'll have the same beats, I don't expect her death to change.

Top Bottom