Cids swearing

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I never got why people made such a big deal about swearing. These days, stuff like fuck and shit are basically a typical way to place emphasis on what you're saying in a casual setting.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Lol... maybe they'll just have Cid vaping. Or using Shinra brand e-Cigarettes.

Actually that second one might actually be what they do.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
It's not a big deal about swearing, it's a big deal about faithful representation, artistic expression and realism. If it happened in the original, is being culled to stop hurting feelings, isn't in situations it would be irl, that's pretty inferior imho.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Why the hell would Shinra bother making e-cigarettes when they clearly don't give a damn about the environment or even the population's well-being?

It's not a big deal about swearing, it's a big deal about faithful representation, artistic expression and realism. If it happened in the original, is being culled to stop hurting feelings, isn't in situations it would be irl, that's pretty inferior imho.

This reminds of how I never really got over the changes they made to Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. While I can understand the stuff about religious symbolism, changing the one and only instance of blood from red to green will always bug me.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
^Because they can put heroin in them and get people hooked :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
^ Or just they would be running on batteries powered by Mako, and what does Shinra produce? Aside from everything... Mako?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
tl;dr I'm not all that worried, because there's a big difference between censorship of content in what appears in Video Games vs. what appears in Film & how they're rated -- especially internationally.

I highly doubt that they'd change his character's smoking or swearing, but how they decide to flavour his language in the translation from Japanese to English does make me curious.

X :neo:

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
If they did allow swearing in particular in the way he speaks to Shera I think SE would have to have one or more of the other characters pointedly tell him off for it or defend her in some way for it to be acceptable.

Yes, I cannot imagine Aerith standing there letting him speak to Shera like that.

Zef

Rookie Adventurer
So many things might get watered down without an M rating, which I am really hoping for. The Jenova incident at the Shin-Ra building without gore all over the floor would be sad. Jenova's eye boob. Cid and his domestic abuse don't stand a chance.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Don't forget yet another bloodless rendition of the Nibelheim incident, not seeing Sephiroth stab Aerith during the death scene, nor the masamune sticking out of President Shinra. I don't think sector 7's in as much danger of censorship.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Cid was smoking in DoC, I don't see why they'd remove that. As for his language, they did a bit better in DoC as well with having him cuss more. I'd like to see him either say everything like the original game except without sensors, or bleep out the worst of what he says.
And I think it'd a good chance the remake might get a M rating; I'm hoping for that, as it means we won't get shortchanged out of any of the original scenes in glorious HD. I want to see Sephiroth's scene with Aerith to be sort of brutal and shocking and have blood on his sword, and I want to see the bloody hallway in the Shinra building (with that creepy-ass music), and Cid being a jerk to Shera. And much more.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
Some things are too important to be removed. Removing Aerith death scene would probably probably see a huge spike in single flights to Japan, booked by incredibly angry fan boys looking to tear down SE...Myself included!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The swearing also kinda comes down to the localization, as Japanese is short on actual cuss words. He just speaks rudely and the localization staff ran with it. As stated, he had flashes of the old Cid in Dirge of Cerberus.

Mako Victim

Mister Monster
Temple_of_the_ancients_interior.jpg

That is all.

Literally lol'd! Cid's awsome

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Must keep both swearing and smoking, while to an outsider they might just seem like irrelevant window dressing that only obsessives would care about maintaining, they are central clues to his character. They emphasize his jaded, salty, reckless, uncaring, and unhealthy nature (Especially when we meet him). Particularly the abuse of Shera with expletives sticks out and shows how his character is when we first encounter him, and further dramatizes the way he changes later on. The smoking is more like, damn we've seen a lot of fucked up characters up til this point in the game, but even Don Corneo didn't smoke. In classic FF fashion, Cid is an obsessed SPACE pilot, but his characterization is more of the traditional boat pilot...he's a pirate ; )

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I still sometimes wonder how Cid manages to deal with the fire hazard smoking presents when on an airship or in the rocket. It makes me wonder if it might've been what set off the faulty oxygen tank to blow up when he was next to it.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Sorry, I know this is super delayed (and bumping up a thread that's done) but dah!! Ya got me!! Does he have a visible little pixel-cigar in the more clear PC versions, ala President Shinra?

Top Bottom