Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I like them both

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • They can both suck my Buster Sword

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Alright, this is something I've had on my mind ever since Crisis Core came out and Zack was given a real personality-- one that was very interesting no less. If this has been asked before, I apologize, but my searching attempts turned up nothing.

Which character do you prefer? Cloud or Zack?

This is purely opinion, not who's better, just who do you personally like more. It can be based on whatever you like, looks, actions, gameplay, whatever. Only limitation is that your opinion be rooted in the Compilation itself, no 'I hated Cloud in Kingdom Hearts', or 'Zack was ballin' in Ergheiz' please.

So, vote in the poll and explain why if you want. I'd love to hear some opinions!

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
In B4 shitstorm between fanboys.

I prefer Cloud but CC made me really feel for Zack, and really, they're both up there. But Cloud is just a tiny bit more. Nevertheless I chose both.

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
Aw, Cannon, why'd you put "both"? :P Zack and Cloud have qualities that annoy me, and qualities I admire - but you've saved me from having to think hard enough to pick between them by giving us that option. :monster:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Zack or Cloud - cannot decide, haven't played CC that much so I can't judge Zack fairly, he seems pretty cool though.

Now, if you mean "Zack or Cloud - who's on top in an Aerith sandwich", easily Zack, Cloud is younger and has less experience, with him on the bottom there's less pressure on him, he can lay back and enjoy it, let Zack be on top so he has chances to make it fun for Aerith in ways Cloud wouldn't know about.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
Well, I really liked the 'no-nonsense, don't-give-a-rats-ass-about-anyone-but-myself' attitude that Cloud had at the beginning of the game, but when he started to go all haywire with his personality, that's when I lost interest.

In the end, I choose Zack. He's just too damn cute and endearing not to like.

Isabella

Your Mom
I voted for both but if I had it to do over I'd probably vote for Cloud. In some ways I like Zack better, in the sense that if I met these two in real life Zack would be easier to get along with and more fun to be around. But when it comes to stories I prefer more complex protagonists whose motives aren't always clear. Zack is the puppy; what you see is what you get. So Zack = fun friend, Cloud = more compelling character.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, you really shouldn't have put the "both" option. :monster:

Well, I really liked the 'no-nonsense, don't-give-a-rats-ass-about-anyone-but-myself' attitude that Cloud had at the beginning of the game, but when he started to go all haywire with his personality, that's when I lost interest.

What about after he was done going haywire? His "real" self in the second half of FF7 and Dirge? (Just curious of your opinion of the "real" Cloud as you specify losing interest in his identity crisis.

Yes, I too dilly-dallied and finally went the wishy-washy 'both' option (like Aerith, really). Forced to choose, I'd choose Cloud.

Crisis Core presented a Zack who was much nicer and more charming, i think, than he was originally intended to be. Since we all knew right from the start of the game that he was going to die, they had to make him so damned loveable that we couldn't resist getting emotionally involved.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
What about after he was done going haywire? His "real" self in the second half of FF7 and Dirge? (Just curious of your opinion of the "real" Cloud as you specify losing interest in his identity crisis.

It wasn't anything that sparked my interest. I have a weird sort of adoration of the characters who just don't give a shit, are assholes or have hot tempers. It kind of reminds me of myself. :3

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Aw, Cannon, why'd you put "both"? :P

Yeah, you really shouldn't have put the "both" option. :monster:

I learn something new everyday :monster:
In my (weak) defence, I was just trying to ensure the conversation was somewhat pleasant and did not turn into yet another...

shitstorm between fanboys.

But that's something else entirely...

I think I've noticed a trend that Zack would be the better person to know, but Cloud's a more interesting character. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but it's not too far off. Honestly, I was expecting Zack to
(have his way with)
Cloud, but I guess I was
That's reserved for yaoi fangirls...

I personally prefer Cloud, as I have always liked complex characters and lovable dorks, so having them both rolled into one is perfect for me. :awesome:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'm glad there is a both option, because I honestly like them both and think they are both great characters for vastly different reasons.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Why is this thing saying I voted?... No I didn't >_>

But I would pick Cloud, but maybe my stance would be different if I had played CC. He's just so... easy and fun to abuse :joy:

NoenGaruth

That Guy With The Midgar Model
AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada
They can both suck my Buster Sword :awesome:

J/k, but I was the one who voted that, tho seriously I like them both, of course most of my liking towards Zack comes from Crisis Core, before that he was just sorta just there and not paid much attention to.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
I voted Zack. I like Cloud a lot, don't get me wrong, but after CC I found Zack to be a more interesting character. As the game went on and everything started happening around him, I kept expecting him to crack up and loose it, especially when Nibelheim happened. But he kept his head on straight, and whether it was because of his personality or he was just too determined to not let things get to him, Zack is proof that a character doesn't have to fall apart or go into angst-phase to be believable -- and relatable.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I picked Cloud, as he's so real and so unlike typical heroes in stories.

I think I've noticed a trend that Zack would be the better person to know, but Cloud's a more interesting character. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but it's not too far off.

I don't quite agree with this. Zack would be the more fun friend, for sure, but Cloud is probably the kind of person that doesn't let many people get close -- but for those who are lucky enough to be let into his circle, you couldn't imagine a better friend.

You'd still probably feel the same about Zack, but Cloud's the one you'd call when your boyfriend/girlfriend just dumped you.

LicoriceAllsorts said:
Crisis Core presented a Zack who was much nicer and more charming, i think, than he was originally intended to be. Since we all knew right from the start of the game that he was going to die, they had to make him so damned loveable that we couldn't resist getting emotionally involved.

That's possible, but even his original artwork seemed to present him as the cheerful type. Plus, we've got Aerith's description of him as a ladies man and the fact that he dragged Cloud's comatose ass across the whole planet -- and got killed protecting him when he could have run away and saved his own ass.

That's not even including his talk with an unresponsive Cloud in the back of the yellow pickup truck.

All of that was in the original game, so I think he was always presented with the traits depicted in CC. The game just allowed them to be fleshed out.

I voted Zack. I like Cloud a lot, don't get me wrong, but after CC I found Zack to be a more interesting character. As the game went on and everything started happening around him, I kept expecting him to crack up and loose it, especially when Nibelheim happened. But he kept his head on straight, and whether it was because of his personality or he was just too determined to not let things get to him, Zack is proof that a character doesn't have to fall apart or go into angst-phase to be believable -- and relatable.

Great post.

Homura Akemi

Just a lurker now ;3
AKA
Black★Rock Shooter, Hatsune Miku, Rin, Rin Okumura, Zack Fair.
I like them both...the only thing that lets me down on cloud is that he is slimly emo (nothing new here peps) zack on the other hand...^_^

I like them both...the only thing that lets me down on cloud is that he is slimly emo (nothing new here peps) zack on the other hand...^_^

edit the slimly lol..a bit emo...I try not to double post:puppy: it just looked odd

Last edited by a moderator:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I don't quite agree with this. Zack would be the more fun friend, for sure, but Cloud is probably the kind of person that doesn't let many people get close -- but for those who are lucky enough to be let into his circle, you couldn't imagine a better friend.

You'd still probably feel the same about Zack, but Cloud's the one you'd call when your boyfriend/girlfriend just dumped you.

Me: That bitch dumped me!
Cloud: Not interested.

Seriously, I never thought of it like that. Good point. To be honest though, I'd probably call a person like Zack first, he'd probably have kick ass ways to blow off steam. Either works? :awesome:

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
I picked Cloud, as he's so real and so unlike typical heroes in stories.

^ This. I totally agree completely. I initially like both of them for different reasons, but Cloud is just so different from most Hero-peeps and it makes him very interesting. In retrospect, I still like Zack, regardless too, but Cloud's my fave ^^.

"Emo"... will not go into that >_>

I thanked you Tres :joy:

~ SoS

Last edited:

Isabella

Your Mom
I'm curious why you think so. Even for Tifa, the person he's closest to, he's a challenge because he has such a tough time communicating.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Just cause he has a problem communicating his feelings, doesn't mean he's a bad listener or can't talk about things involving you. :monster:

The guy's just shy.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Squall = stand-offish and aloof.

Cloud = quiet and sorta shy

:monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I like both. Zack because he's full of style, charm, charisma, and fills the desperately needed, even if it was for a short time, true 'hero' role that the world of FFVII needed. He was a real cool cat, to me.

I liked Cloud for an entirely different reason, though. Cloud is, by social definitions, a loser. Big time. Awkward, unpopular, and a dork (and even NPCs notices it too, with taguy in Wall Market telling him flat out he's a 'dweeb'), but he gets shit done. He's a good guy underneath, and it's charming to see him silently taking care of business and being more than able to.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And more able than Zack, even. (That's not a slight at Zack, just a marvel at Cloud). It really is funny he never made it in SOLDIER, given that he ended up being the most powerful person on the Planet.

Top Bottom