• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Comfort Listening

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Similar to the comfort gaming thread. What albums do you put on when you're in need of solace?

My list is nowhere near exhaustive, but some of my top picks include:

Yes - Close to the Edge & Relayer
Genesis - Foxtrot & Selling England by the Pound
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Panopticon - Roads to the North
Shiina Ringo (& Neko Saito) - Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana & Heisei Fūzoku
Yasunori Mitsuda et al. - Chrono Trigger
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VI
Hiroki Kikuta - Secret of Mana

Don't consider this a definitive top ten because it isn't. It just represents ten artists who popped into mind quickly when I came up with the concept of this thread.

Let's hear your choices.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Most likely for me

Billy Talent - Billy Talent 1 (with a few tracks from 2 and 3 mixed in).
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo , I'm Burning Star IV
Explosions in the Sky - Take care, Take care, Take care.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I can't say I have a comfort listening album at the moment, but Futures by Jimmy Eat World definitely held that spot for me in the past. While it's not going to appear on any list of all-time greatest albums, it had just the right balance of empathy and optimism to comfort me in the most difficult time of my life, when I was hospitalised for almost a year with depression. Some years later I would blurt that out to Jim Adkins, the band's frontman, after a concert. He didn't really know what to say, so it was pretty awkward, but I felt like I had to thank him. I still listen to it a few times a year.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Lots of KLaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream and other spacey Krautrock electonica.

Beautiful female voices ofthen comfort my soul, like Sandy Denny (Solo, Fairport, Strawbs, Fotheringay) Jex Thoth (especially her last album) Chelsea Wolfe, Kate Bush, Dead Can Dance etc.

There's some shoegaze stuff I find very comforting, especially Slowdive and The Angelic Process.

Lots of jazz, too. Coltrane, Mingus, some Davis works, Bill Evans, etc etc. and newer "Doom Jazz"bands like Bohren, Kilimanjaro Doomjazz etc.

I'm just listening to 40 Watt Sun, very comforting and not so bleak as Warning (which I love even more, though)

Top Bottom