• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Concept art from art gallery

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I know this was asked earlier on in the thread but has anyone come across a higher res version of the Sector 7 Plate yet?

I’m just so ... starved ...

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
After a hiatus for personal reasons and almost a year later than originally planned, I finally managed to finish our video analysis of those 8 artworks.

Apologies for the massive delay!

And huge thanks to ChipNoir for the collaboration and all of you guys for your contribution and high-resolution images!

EDIT: Chip beat me to it in a new thread. Damn you! xD
Ah well, I'm keeping this post here nonetheless.

It's such an awful office to work in, though. I can't believe he doesn't have a button on that desk that lowers his chair down into something a lot cosier and more pleasant, maybe with a fireplace and a tiger skin rug. Then when the sensors indicate that someone is approaching his office he rapidly scoots up into his desk again. The cosy office can double as a bombshelter.

PS That office is really sort of... art-deco-ish.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
It's such an awful office to work in, though. I can't believe he doesn't have a button on that desk that lowers his chair down into something a lot cosier and more pleasant, maybe with a fireplace and a tiger skin rug. Then when the sensors indicate that someone is approaching his office he rapidly scoots up into his desk again. The cosy office can double as a bombshelter.

PS That office is really sort of... art-deco-ish.
It strikes me as more of a purposefully pompous audience chamber to intimidate his subjects with. Though I wouldn't put it past him to endure the uncosiness (is that even a word?) in exchange of remaining on the top floor above everyone else while monitoring the entirety of his empire from there.

@hian: aren't those the already available hi-res images just in an upscaled and filtered (Median or Remove Dust and Scratches) form? Most details seem, while smoother, to lack in detail.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I'm sure it's a display of power for meetings, and he has his own more luxury private apartments.

This IS the same man that enjoys roleplaying as a king in his spare time at the Honey Bee Inn. He probably thinks of this as his equivalent of a throne room.

Speaking of which, that means their's a Mrs.ShinRa we never see or really think about IIRC. They mention having to keep the "Meetings" a secret from her.

The president at the HoneyBee Inn isn't President Shinra; he's the president of some other company who's come into town on business and has an appointment with the [real] President sometime later:
"
First Speaker: Psst...... (Hey, shouldn't we stop him soon?)
Second Speaker: ..whisper... whisper... (We have a luncheon with President Shinra...)
First Speaker: Psst...... (You tell him......)
Second Speaker: Psst...... (I can't tell him......)
First Speaker: Psst...... (Come on!! Oh, well......) A legend has been passed on through generations...
Second Speaker: Psst...... (I'm so disgusted with the President.) ......the sought after Promised Land......
First Speaker: Psst...... (It's like this every time we have a business trip to Midgar.)......One with Blue Eyes...
First Speaker: (We come all the way to Midgar, just for this...)

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Aaaah TIL!

Still. I do stand by thoughts that this is the cold image that the President wants to promote. He seems to try to be detatched and uncaring in all his interactions. He never gets angry, never loses his cool, and controls every conversation we see him in. This kind of an office suits him perfectly.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
That doesn't seem to be the chair. I think that it's supposed to be an artistic representation of the (asymmetrical) ShinRa HQ Tower that's behind where he sits as a way to serve as a visual representation to visually identify who he is immediately.

This old write-up about the game's use of map design and camera angles brings up a bunch of interesting points that're interesting to see reflected in one form or another about this art: https://normallyrascal.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/final-fantasy-vii-camera-and-composition-part-1/

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The office looks like awful 90s office decor taken to the extreme, and for that reason I love it. Anything that speaks to the time period of the original game is a good look in my book.

As we see in Episode:Shin-Ra, though, he doesn't want his desk to lead to anything like a bomb shelter. He did install one, but for Rufus's use. He refused to use it.

It was actually this that added a number of dimensions to his character. The fact that he installed it in the first place; the password to its door (Rufus's birthday -- described as a common password for the President to use, and a day he would never forget); the biting commentary of "'L' for 'Loser'"; and perhaps most of all: the fact he didn't try using the escape hatch to get away from Sephiroth.

That last one in particular sheds interesting light on the character.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Maybe I should have clarified that bit in the video. I also didn't think it was physically an extension of his chair, but rather a device for conveying the illusion of a throne for visitors, increasing the intimidation factor and solidifying his status as virtually an emperor.

Top Bottom