SPOILERS Crazed fan drives Kazushige Nojima to no longer discuss FFVII on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
MOD EDIT BY LEX: New thread created from posts split from LTD thread.

I was originally going to post this in the Clessie thread as I felt it might be relevant to what was recently discussed there but I’d rather not make that thread even more of a dumpster fire lol (go check out the recent posts in the Clessie thread if you want context for why I’m sharing this)

So Nojima tweeted this today and I’m not sure how to interpret it:

2C416EBE-DE45-4C12-B42F-9719A6835391.jpeg

Could this be a reference to the LTD? Or the fact that you-know-who keeps tweeting at him? Or maybe FF7 in general?

Last edited by a moderator:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Here's the DeepL translation.
I can't help but think that my personal comments, not only about ongoing work but also about post-launch stuff, could undermine the value of the product and the enjoyment of its fans. As a result, I now believe that it is appropriate to keep quiet and not speak. It's not about confidentiality, it's about how you personally interact with Twitter.
I dunno if it is in response to the dark one specifically, but it does sound like a polite response to fan questions in general. He was getting people bothering him about stupid shipping stuff in his unrelated tweets, so this could be "I'm not going to say anything about it stop asking".

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I wonder if there's anything that can be done? If Jairus really is what brought this on, this is really starting to get out of hand.

He 100% did.

He straight up sent a Japanese message to Nojima asking him to not make Cloud and Tifa end up together, because it will hurt the fee-fees of shippers in the FFVII fandom, because they have their own opinions and some other such bullshit.

Straight up sent a threatening letter to the writer of FFVII on twitter and then they post that.

I fucking hate social media. Dumbass simp for an imaginary woman, fucking up the story of FFVII through sheer force of will. This is why obsessive stans are blights in fandom spaces. They fuck shit up like this.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Here's the DeepL translation.

I dunno if it is in response to the dark one specifically, but it does sound like a polite response to fan questions in general. He was getting people bothering him about stupid shipping stuff in his unrelated tweets, so this could be "I'm not going to say anything about it stop asking".

I actually wish creators/developers didn't give out so much info anyway. With twitter/instagram/youtube/etc, there's a constant barrage of info that gets released. I miss the days of 1 or 2 trailers and maybe a few things here and there in magazines.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
He 100% did.

He straight up sent a Japanese message to Nojima asking him to not make Cloud and Tifa end up together, because it will hurt the fee-fees of shippers in the FFVII fandom, because they have their own opinions and some other such bullshit.

Straight up sent a threatening letter to the writer of FFVII on twitter and then they post that.

I fucking hate social media. Dumbass simp for an imaginary woman, fucking up the story of FFVII through sheer force of will. This is why obsessive stans are blights in fandom spaces. They fuck shit up like this.
I wouldn’t put it past him to have messaged Nojima directly at this point, he’s been translating his “polite requests” and tweeting at the Japanese FF accounts for a while now

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Surely this isn’t the first time Nojima’s been hounded by shippers, so I wonder if any of this has impacted/will impact the way the relationships are portrayed in FF7R.

Assuming this inspires any sort of adjustment to the way the romance is handled, I figure they could either try to be more vague to appease as many people as possible, or just go full scorched earth and leave little to no room for misinterpretation (which was alluded to in some quote I don’t remember, but who knows if that was a specific reference to shipping). I’ve never been much of a shipping kind of guy but I’ll admit I’m leaning hard in the direction of the latter, so long as it adds to the story.

The arrogance of somebody to claim that a creator’s work is not their own anymore is just wild. I’m sure he’d hate it if somebody spent every possible moment messaging him about how his fanfiction doesn’t give enough representation to Cloud x Zack or something.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
A long time ago, while he was still here, I used to stick up for him sometimes and think that people just weren't seeing his point of view. That position became a lot harder to maintain once his ramblings and circular arguing got severely out of hand. At this point, I almost regret ever being nice to him. Almost all of the Jessie art I ever did was for him, because it was nice to have someone else who appreciated my favorite minor character, but looking at those drawings is kind of hard now. Except this one, this one is great.

I'll admit, occasionally seeing him make an ass of himself on twitter from my nice little removed perch here on TLS was pretty amusing for a while, because there was some bitter vindication in seeing him get raked over the coals by strangers, but now I'm wishing he just faded into obscurity. He really crossed a line here, and I hope there are consequences.

Xinda

Memento Mori
I've been lurking for a long time - watching all of his stuff unfold both here (I, too, felt sympathy for him, and as a fan of Jessie - but...) and on Twitter. He's literally been harassing numerous individuals - official & non official accts. over Jessie stuff.

As a fan of Jessie, it always left a bitter taste in my mouth the more he went on -- but this? This is too far.

Coincidence? Maybe. But... The timing is too coincidental, IMO.

There's a way to report for "targeted harassment" - which is exactly what he's done on Twitter. That's the only thing that "can be done" is if Twitter saw what he did as that, and if (enough) people reported it.

Still, I don't think that'd "take back" the damage he's done. Which, to put lightly, is infuriatingly depressing.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Reposting this from the hopes for the story thread didn't realise there was a discussion already going on here, with a couple of edits

What an absolute shame that its come to this for Nojima and he doesn't feel comfortable commenting any more, and I think its disgusting he's been driven to it.

Evidence definitely suggests Jairus played a huge part in this I've seen him constantly bombard all offical FF channels to get his Jessie fix in anything remotely FF7 related including on FFBE (where Jessie is also a character now) and Dissidia Opera Omnia channels

Nojima has from what I understand has had some harassment over shipping in the past but this seemed to be the final straw and was relentless.

People need to have respect the creators and their work, and stop the harrasment and bombarding.

This is when the creators feel they have to quiet down on giving any info to their fans or feel they need to back off its crazy and disgusting.

I'm sure also anyone else who is a Jessie or Clessie fan has been left with a very bad taste in their mouth as well from Jairus, I know if I was a major fan of her or the paring I'd be put right off it by now.

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
KindofBlue said:
Surely this isn’t the first time Nojima’s been hounded by shippers, so I wonder if any of this has impacted/will impact the way the relationships are portrayed in FF7R
I've always felt some kind of uncomfortable, second hand cringe when I saw both Cloti and Clerith shippers combing through his insta profile to look for "proof" - screenshotting things like his bookshelf and his kitchen counter back in 2012/2013 because it just so happened to have an FF7 figurine in it.

I'm also glad this happened, because the corporate and brand accounts can't tell someone like Jairus to just fck off, and it had to come from an individual. Someone had to do it.

I hope this tones down the other crazies on the brand and corporate accounts too

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I am sorta annoyed that it's being generalized to "FFVII fans" and not the one who was wholesale harassing him directly, sending him translated Japanese threats, and broadcasting his results to the internet.

Jairus has been waging this Jessie bullshit for years. Generalization sorta misses the extent that they've taken it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom