• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Crisis Core is all virtual ?

S.L.Kerrigan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
molosev
Hello all,

I'm back here with a new kerrig-esque question.

Starting from the fact that the adventure begins in virtual reality, could it be that in the end the entire game takes place in this alternative reality? Well yeah as a video game it is by definition virtual... but

In the simulation Sephiroth breaks Zack's sword and when the simulation ends the sword is still broken. Could it be that Zack never left this virtuality ?

Another thing reminds me of this possibility, the annoying sentences that launch before and after each fight (whether in this initial virtual mission or during the rest of the game):
"Activating combat mode" and then "Conflict resolved" (Extract from one of 4-8 productions videos)
These sentences seem to be taken from an irritating endless tutorial/training session...
Why would they have decided to inflict us this message (announced by this atrocious robotic voice) on each fight if not to give us a clue (a shouting clue)?

In Dirge of Cerberus Hojo and Shelke say they can travel through a virtual neural network (artificial intelligence).

What do you think ? Does the question deserves to be asked?

Last edited:

S.L.Kerrigan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
molosev
This remark also came to my mind, but I ended up thinking that it dosen't necessarily have to be the case.
But still, virtual reality is a cyberpunk theme since early on so yeah maybe the whole compilation is meant to be seen as virtual.

I wonder what could justify the broken sword paradox. What is the screenwriter trying to tell us with this bit?

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You're missing the implication, entirely.

The projections created by the Virtual Training System are solid visions. Meaning, with a high enough setting they can injure or even kill you.

During Chapter 4 when Zack is promoted to 1st Class, Zack meets Hojo in the SOLDIER training facility. Hojo purposefully asks Zack to test against one of his experimental data subjects and the other scientists implore him to refuse because it's a program that is capable of killing. Zack doesn't realize that Hojo wanted him to die so he could study his body and prove his genius.

The training program can easily kill of tuned to that purpose.

It's akin to the Holodeck from Star Trek TNG when it malfunctions or is turned all the way up. It can hurt you.

S.L.Kerrigan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
molosev
The projections created by the Virtual Training System are solid visions. Meaning, with a high enough setting they can injure or even kill you.
Thanks for the insight. Is this proved by an Ultimania line ?

During Chapter 4 when Zack is promoted to 1st Class, Zack meets Hojo in the SOLDIER training facility. Hojo purposefully asks Zack to test against one of his experimental data subjects and the other scientists implore him to refuse because it's a program that is capable of killing. Zack doesn't realize that Hojo wanted him to die so he could study his body and prove his genius.
They would have broke the sword in order to justify this battle ? If so then yeah I understand how I missed the implication, too subtle for me.

Maybe the Sephiroth / Genesis confrontation that ends with Genesis' injury is a better reason...
But does the possibility of this injury need to be supported/introduced ? I can read that.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't understand what you're asking.

There doesn't need to be an Ultimania line. The scientists in the game literally say it when Hojo asks you to try out his special program. It's right there in Chapter 4, just go to the Training Room after Zack puts on his SOLDIER 1st Class uniform.

S.L.Kerrigan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
molosev
I understand your argument, and I find it interesting but not satisfying enough.

I mean we are told later in front of the Jenova Room (CC - Nibelheim reactor) that Hojo wants to use Zack as a test subject (the revelation is done there). Would they really need to emphasize this fact by connecting it intricately throughout the game with these two scenes (sword event - Hojo's special program)? Maybe.
Crisis Core extrapolates on the story of Zack which will be used in a certain way to compose the memory of Cloud in the original game, OG that is (at least to me) the primary mystery. Maybe they would rather have used their energy (the visual power of these cutscenes) to tell us something more interesting about it. Maybe not. But still there is a strong virtual reality theme right at the start of the game, and if what you're saying is the reason for it, then I have doubts on the scriptwriting team's creativity strength. I think it'd be a waste.

Not being able to figure out if we're in or out of a virtual reality is a fairly classic trick of productions that speak of this theme (books, movies,...).
It can also be interesting to note that when the simulation unloads the "unloading pixels" are green (Lifestream) and that the Lifestream is also Spiritual energy. It is therefore a substance that can potentially interact with the mind, the perception. It is said that the planet could talk to the Cetra (in a difficult to explain manner).
So I guess I found my own personal answer regarding the possible interest to raise the question.
Maybe the next question should be : "Why did they add a virtual reality theme in CC ?"
And the answer could be: to introduce the idea that reality is not always what we think it is. That what has been presented to us as the reality of the adventure (OG) is only a kind of illusion or a manipulation.

I don't see Zack as being a possible true hero (read from post #15), I guess that's why I'm looking for an other answer...

We all have observed inconsistencies between the original game and the other titles of the compilation, titles that are all considered as non canon by the community (I do not know if there is an official claim). I think they are not true to life prequels and sequels but rather mainly intended to shed light on the original game from different perspectives.

Another observation, Zack seems to have to use special glasses to apprehend the virtual content, but Angeal dosen't. Is there an explanation (official or personal) about this fact ?

About this virtual episode, I also find it intriguing that Angeal's face comes to replace that of Sephiroth's avatar (during the simulations' unloading). Not to mention the scene of the train which recalls the opening of FF7 with no obvious/clearly stated meaning it seems to me...

Last edited:
Top Bottom