• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Cut Scenes and Unused Text from FFVII

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
I wonder how Barret would say about Cloud wearing Marlene's panties.

These are fantastic. Thanks for sharing them, despite the article snafu. I was really pleased to see Kwedge!

Last edited:
While making recordings for my "Unused FFVII Scenes" YouTube playlist, I discovered some stuff that will be edited into the first part in my slow-going article series.

Readers may recall that, originally, the designers intended to re-use the Mako Reactor #1 maps for Reactor #5. When the change was made an Reactor #5 received its own maps, the two reactors ended up with pieces of each others' script.

You can trigger the Reactor #5 scene in the first reactor as well. When you trigger the Reactor #1 version of the scene with Cloud having another episode, the game will freeze because it does not have the command to jump to the Nibelheim reactor flashback field.

However, while making the recording for the Japanese version of that unused scene I noticed that the game DID transport you back to Nibelheim! To my astonishment, both Japanese games have the command to jump to NVMKIN1, but both English PSX and PC game do NOT have it.
A very small and odd difference.

I have been keeping a secret from the majority of TLS members. The field "ROOTMAP", where Jessie shows Cloud Midgar's railway system, does in fact use hi-res versions of Jessie and Cloud. This fact is normally obscured from the player. Fast forward to 01:25 if you want to see these in-game.

2ygH8.png

dWrPU.png

V8wWa.png

zVU20.png

VBZPJ.png

These are THE most exotic unused field models in the entire game. There are no other examples of hi-res versions of characters. Although invisible field models are scattered throughout the game, none other fills the criteria of being a completely unseen type.

Another one of my dream projects is to make a comprehensible list of hidden field models, but the project is stumped by the fact that I haven't been able to find a PSX field model viewer.
Makou Reactor can view the PC models in a limited format, but not good enough. Plus, Cloud's model is very screwed up in the PC port.

eiboc.png

He has a walking animation, yes, but his leg is entirely misplaced.

So yes, Vincent's screwed up animation after the death of Aeris isn't the only example of the PC port ruining the field models. There are at least a dozen examples.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I noticed that PSX ROOTMAP Cloud also has the same messed up walking animation with the misplaced leg. Heh.

Oh, and in ROOTMAP Jessie has no hands or legs.

NFVKJ.png

I am trying to make a video where I will show off ROOTMAP Cloud and Jessie more in detail. Having some difficulties with moving around them both the way I want, but soon enough I should succeed.

Again, this will be added to the Part 1 article eventually.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Thats amazing Shademp, I'm really curious to see Jessies hi-res face close-up. Do you think that there are/were other instances in the game where hi res models are used? Off the top of my head I am thinking of the Chocobo nest scene on the road to Corel?

LOL @ Vincent and the 'Ministry of Silly Walks'....perhaps he thought humour was the best way to overcome grief?

Thats amazing Shademp, I'm really curious to see Jessies hi-res face close-up. Do you think that there are/were other instances in the game where hi res models are used? Off the top of my head I am thinking of the Chocobo nest scene on the road to Corel?

These are THE most exotic unused field models in the entire game. There are no other examples of hi-res versions of characters. Although invisible field models are scattered throughout the game, none other fills the criteria of being a completely unseen type.

To repeat, there are no other instances. I have scoured through all the PC field models, so as far as the PC version goes there are no other instances. I can't say for certain about the other versions though.

When searching through the battle models (there is good software for that) I found nothing exotic. But I don't know if anyone has created the software to view the 3D models of the minigames. Maybe there is something hidden there.

We know from GarlandTheGreat's video about some unused sea structure model, but that's it as far as "world map" models go.
http://i.imgur.com/07uaj.png

EDIT: Ok, the emulator REALLY hates when I take free control of Cloud... Everything just...
DlyJw.png

Although not instantly. The texture gradually degrades into a bloody mess.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Ahh, sorry. I got over excited and didn't read it properly.

I suppose there is a possibility of the mini games having something, but I was under the impression that the development was rushed back then. So from that point of view it would kind of make sense that an early part of the game contained hi res models and then they did away with it to save time?

Do the models of Cloud and Sephiroth in the final final battle count as hi res?

Sorry if I'm talking jibberish here, I'm just not familiar with the terminology :monster:

Do the models of Cloud and Sephiroth in the final final battle count as hi res?
Sorry if I'm talking jibberish here, I'm just not familiar with the terminology :monster:

Don't worry, I'm not using some "hacker approved" terminology. I'm not even sure if "high resolution field model" is a proper term. Maybe "high(er) polygon count field model" is better; at least it is more descriptive than hi-res.

I am more amateurish in my work than most people might think. :awesome:

Although I hope that someday I'll have the motivation to take a few courses in programming and math logic so it might get easier for me to look around FFVII. But that would take months, nay, YEARS of work.

I figure that the hi-polygon field models in ROOTMAP were created as a way to bridge the gap between lego-Cloud and CG-Cloud. Sure, the battle models are more realistic, but the battles aren't really involved in cutscenes.

But had they decided to create and use more of these, the event designers would have had a much greater work toll. The idea was neat, but ultimately too time consuming.

For those of you who just played through the Shinra HQ section in the "Let's Play FFVII" thread, this is a fitting video for you all to watch. :monster:

"The Secrets of Shinra HQ"

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
So, given that the final game always gives you 3 batteries, Cloud's dialogue suggests that the batteries could have been sold separately... Or obtained by some other means.

:lol: Why didn't they have the helicopter off to one side instead? :huh:

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
That is one hideous helicopter. I also think that if they kept it there, it would've taken away from Rufus's dramatic escape.

I wish they kept Barret's line, though.

So, given that the final game always gives you 3 batteries, Cloud's dialogue suggests that the batteries could have been sold separately... Or obtained by some other means.
One line of unflagged text by the guy in the weapon shop confirms that, yes, each battery was sold separately.

“Great!
How 'bout another one?”

Homura Akemi

Just a lurker now ;3
AKA
Black★Rock Shooter, Hatsune Miku, Rin, Rin Okumura, Zack Fair.
Btw Shademp I'm loving all your stuff :awesome: (mainly the honey bee inn stuff)
There is so much Hidden and Unused Text in this game, Thanks for revealing it for us <3

This is nice - hope more is on the way!

I hope that Part 3 will be arriving soon...

You mean Part 4. :P

I am terribly sorry for the long-ass wait. Unfortunately some stuff came up so GlitterBerri hasn't been able to make the finishing touches to the article. She has gotten back to it now, but I can't make any promises on just how soon it will be done.

Just know that the wait is due to real-life issues, not that we are lacking in passion in this project. =)

Just posted a video of a more boring sort but one that still had to be made.
"Midgar Train, Extended Sequence" (will be embedded in the Part 3 article)

I have noticed that the annotations are only displayed properly when viewed on my channel, so follow this link instead.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Shademp?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/wI5nG35hE64

This was one of the most difficult parts to mod back. There are so many pieces of unflagged text (without preset dialogue window size or placement) and so many uncertanities as to the general choreography. In order to give time for the annotations, showing the unflagged text, I included the code "Wait x frames".
However I noticed that this time I input too few frames, meaning that some annotations will pass by in the blink of an eye. You'll just have to pause the video when that happens. I am in no mood to re-mod and re-record. :P

koolaidman

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Awesome! Part 4 is up! :)

Very very well put together for a article. It's a shame that there's still some kanji that can't be translated because of the old format that was once used. However, I'm curious if it's possible to just use the old font files or whatever from the prerelease demo version of FF7 and see if that might work? From what you describe, if there is a font file, it should be smaller in size in comparison to the font file used in the final version. So this means that it should be easy to replace, since the file size would be smaller than the file size of the file we would replace. Although, I don't know if this is what needs to be done or if there's something else. I don't even know where the font is kept...

But anyway, keep up the good work! :)

e.suna

little nerdling
Yyyess!! I was 9 when I first encountered the Honey Bee Inn scene, and I remember being confused and a little traumatized. It's such a bizarre, mysterious part of the game, so it kind of makes sense that developers had a lot of ideas and struggled to figure it out.

Seeing how it might have turned out if Toriyama hadn't been censored is interesting. The part where Cloud goes through different ways to ask the showgirl for her underwear is hilarious!

Endlessly fascinating stuff. I can't imagine the amount of time and energy you guys put into this project, but I'm so glad you do it.

Blue

Rookie Adventurer
What happened to glitterberri's site? It's gone down. Hope someone archived all that info.

What happened to glitterberri's site? It's gone down. Hope someone archived all that info.

I don't know why it happened, but GlitterBerri tells me that she has it all archived. So even IF she has to create a new website it will all be online again, eventually.

koolaidman

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Hey Shademp and Glitterberri.

I went ahead and transferred the WINDOW.BIN (where the font data is stored) from the preview demo over to the final version and talked to the Shinra Manager (the Palmer scene) with a few lines from Palmer. As you can see, it seems to change things but the Kanji that GlitterBerri chose is still different from what's displayed here. But maybe this is the actual kanji that was used? The characters that displayed correctly in the original unpatched version remain the same, but the corrupt ones are different this time.

You can take a look at what changed in this gallery (you have to find the picture with the dialog from when you speak to the manager for the first time and then work your way from there):
http://imgur.com/a/sum6N#2P4Ea

I skipped a few lines of dialog because they were exactly the same as the other lines of dialog, and were correct. I didn't bother to do all the lines of dialog, as that would take me all day. Just let me know if these make any sense still.

Also as a little fun fact, comparing the dialog box and from the preview demo's WINDOW.BIN and the final version's dialog boxes are a bit different from each other. You won't notice them until you put them side by side.

Hope this helps in some way...

EDIT: Here's a quick IPS patch for a .bin/cue rip of the original NTSC-J version that will replace the original WINDOW.BIN with the one from the prerelease demo. I don't know if this works, so keep a backup of your original bin/cue just in case.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38216/ff7ntscj-prereleasefontpatch.ips

Last edited:

GlitterBerri

&#36196;&#27225;&#40644;&#32209;&#38738;&#32058;&#
I'm afraid that still doesn't make any sense, but thanks for trying it out! It was a good guess!

My site got screwed up by a friend who tried to update it for me, and as far as I know he's working on the issue. I archived all the information before the update, so everything's still intact, though not online right now. My email's down too, unfortunately, but hopefully things will be good to go in the next week or so.

Ok, umm... This never happened to me before.
zIcCs.png

I just started using the pSX emulator. While exchanging memory cards, I did something wrong (obviously).
So when picking SLOT 1, this message appeared. After choosing "Yes", a pink window appeared that said "Formatted!" (did not get screenshot of this).

However the memory card was clean from save files after this. :P

Edit: To think I find unseen text even when I'm not even looking for it EL OH EL.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I use the exact same emulator (love it; so easy to use!) and get the same thing. It seems to happen every time you make a new "memory card", put it in a slot, and try to save on it the first time. After that it never happens again. I think it's normal.

I use the exact same emulator (love it; so easy to use!) and get the same thing. It seems to happen every time you make a new "memory card", put it in a slot, and try to save on it the first time. After that it never happens again. I think it's normal.

I've been switcing between PCSX and ePSXe. The latter is good but doesn't run perfectly on my computer (I can't use the fast-forward function WTF).
The plugins improve the graphics of the game, but unfortunately the "best" plugin increases the pitch of the music hence why you might have noticed in some of my recordings that the music hurts the ears.

So far the great clarity from smooth textures and field models have helped make my Unused Scenes videos look better but I'm tempted to record pSX gameplay instead. It displays after all how the game is supposed to look if you played it on an actual console. Need to test this out first...

What's annoying is that no emulator, with or without plugins, I've tried have so far have been able to replicate the sfx perfectly. The sound of Cloud's Omnislash is still WAY off, not sounding nearly as awesome. Each sword strike sounds so wimpy, instead of this awesomeness:

*end of PSX emulator rant ftm*

Kashkabald

eu fiz cocó no teu tabuleiro
So, uh, hey. I'd like to add something to the table...

In the train scene when Jessie explains the Midgar map to Cloud, you posted a little tidbit about the 'Voluntary Restraint' note and something immediately sprung up on my head. I am fairly sure that I remember having read somewhere (I have a feeling it was on Glitterberri's old site, but I'm not sure) that 'Voluntary Restraint' is actually an euphemism for self-censorship due to sensitive themes. I distinctely remember having read the explanation on the term mentioning Cowboy Bebop and it's usage of the term after having to cancel the airing of one of it's episodes due to the violent content (because something happened at the time that resembled what happened on the episode, so it was deemed too sensitive to not offend sensibilities). Sadly, I've tried to find the supposed source: to no avail.

As for the content deemed worthy of a 'voluntary restraint', I'd take a wild guess and point at something that may have mentioned the Sarin Gas attack on the Tokyo subway. Happened during the game's development, too. Considering FF7 deals with terrorism and the particular scene was on a train... it's just speculation, but this seems to make sense in my head.:whistle:

(and if you don't know what happened, just look on Wikipedia for the article about the attacks. I can't post links.)

So, uh, hey. I'd like to add something to the table...

In the train scene when Jessie explains the Midgar map to Cloud, you posted a little tidbit about the 'Voluntary Restraint' note and something immediately sprung up on my head. I am fairly sure that I remember having read somewhere (I have a feeling it was on Glitterberri's old site, but I'm not sure) that 'Voluntary Restraint' is actually an euphemism for self-censorship due to sensitive themes. I distinctely remember having read the explanation on the term mentioning Cowboy Bebop and it's usage of the term after having to cancel the airing of one of it's episodes due to the violent content (because something happened at the time that resembled what happened on the episode, so it was deemed too sensitive to not offend sensibilities). Sadly, I've tried to find the supposed source: to no avail.

As for the content deemed worthy of a 'voluntary restraint', I'd take a wild guess and point at something that may have mentioned the Sarin Gas attack on the Tokyo subway. Happened during the game's development, too. Considering FF7 deals with terrorism and the particular scene was on a train... it's just speculation, but this seems to make sense in my head.:whistle:

(and if you don't know what happened, just look on Wikipedia for the article about the attacks. I can't post links.)

Welcome to the forums! You will be able to post links, send private messages and edit your posts after having made a total of 10 posts on TLS. =)

Ah yes, I remember that too, now that you mention it. GlitterBerri did have a comment about that euphemism. I must have forgotten about it while writing the article. Thanks a ton for pointing it out! :awesome:
I will edit that observation into Part 1 soon enough. Don't be afraid if there is anything else you'd like to comment or question.

Top Bottom