Death Battle: Goku vs Superman

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Alright, this is the big one. This fight is scheduled to be out sometime this month. Originally it was going to be on December 21st, but the animation is taking longer than the guys at Screwattack expected.

The full episode is supposed to be about thirty minutes in length, but for now we have a lovely little preview video. I'd watch it quickly as these previews seem t be getting taken down.

ASmilingMalice

I'm kind of a big deal
AKA
Marilyn Manson-Looking Fuck (no really)
Agh, come on, Death Battle! I've been waiting long enough! I want to see it!

Although something about Superman vs. Goku debates bothered me. I never really thought those two would have a reason to want to fight each other. If anything I think they'd probably be really good friends.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Supes and Spider-man never had much cause to fight in their crossovers either, but it still happened :monster:

Ghost X

Can't superman travel faster than light? Sure, Goku can teleport, and seems to have precognition powers, but not all the time. On that argument alone, Goku = dead.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Depends on which version of Superman we're talking. Silver age Superman could move faster than pretty much anyone not hooked into the Speed Force and casually juggle planets. If its THAT Superman, yeah Goku is pretty screwed. But there are more reasonable versions where it'd be a solid fight.

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
After seeing this thread I watched every single episode of Death Battle last night, it's actually really good stuff and this Superman vs Goku is their most advanced animation by far!

ASmilingMalice

I'm kind of a big deal
AKA
Marilyn Manson-Looking Fuck (no really)
After seeing this thread I watched every single episode of Death Battle last night, it's actually really good stuff and this Superman vs Goku is their most advanced animation by far!

Is it out already? I can't find it on their Youtube.

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
Oh no it's not, I meant the preview clip! The rest of their animations are pretty shitty really compared to this.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Am I the only one here who thinks that if these two ever met, they would totally be best awkward friends and have an epic bromance rather than try and kill each other? Hell, even if they were on opposite teams, they would probably sit down and talk.

I mean, really, why the VS? Team them up and see them PLUMMER ALL THE VILLAINS (this turned into the meme without me knowing).

BTW, the video is down.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Am I the only one here who thinks that if these two ever met, they would totally be best awkward friends and have an epic bromance rather than try and kill each other? Hell, even if they were on opposite teams, they would probably sit down and talk.

I mean, really, why the VS? Team them up and see them PLUMMER ALL THE VILLAINS (this turned into the meme without me knowing).

BTW, the video is down.

Have you watched of ItsJustSomeRandomGuy's (Superman's voice actor for the Death Battle) promos for the Death Battle? They hilarious lampshade that likelihood.
You can see his videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/ItsJustSomeRandomGuy/videos?flow=grid&view=0

One of the rules for each death battle is it's always a fight to the death, regardless of any character traits. For example spider-man vs batman. Neither would kill, but the winner does. Brutally too.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad

BTW, the video is down.

Well yeah, in character thats what they'd do. But Death Battle isn't worried so much about that sort of thing. It asks "If two dudes fought to the death, who would win?"

Thats the premise of the show.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Well, to be honest thats about how I thought it'd go.

The fight was very well done, and the animation was extremely good for the duration. The calculations of the characters strength and abilities generally made sense.

I do think the conclusions they reached regarding Goku's physical strength is a little low. They do have a manga source to back it up though.

Still, a great fight between two of the greatest heroes of all time.

Ghost X

Gotta love it.

"I heard he's an alien"
"An alien? It's only a matter of time before he destroys the planet!"

And pretty much all Superman's "WTF?" comments.

I enjoyed it. Didn't feel a half hour long which is always a sign of a good video.

Kinda reinforces why I dont enjoy supes tho. He's perfect.

Good fight tho and their reasonings were vaild. And wtf at measuring a spike on snake way and comparing it to gokus height in order to determine the distance. I know they put alot of effort into these, but jesus.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Entertaining fight and sound reasoning -- though what they ultimately proved is that in a battle between Goku and Superman, everyone loses. :monster:

It'd be like pitting Chuck Norris, Indiana Jones and MacGyver against each other on a T-Rex's back. Only the fedora is walking away.

Ghost X

Because he has a gun? :awesome:. Do you know that famous scene where he shoots the guy swinging his sword about was only filmed that way because Ford was ill irl.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I did not know that. Interesting how the most memorable movie scenes were rarely planned.

But, actually, I just see the hat itself surviving. :monster:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Interesting to point out that they actually didn't use Goku at his prime for this fight. If memory serves the manga chapter they used where Goku lifted forty tons was from the Buu saga. So basicly they took Buu saga Goku and slapped SSJ4 on him.

Now, Goku in GT was absurdly strong by comparison. For example, General Rildo is stated by Goku himself to be stronger than Majin Buu, yet Goku has no trouble fighting him in base form. What that means is Goku in GT is at least as powerful in his base form, as his SSJ3 form was against Buu.

So at his absolute maximum as a SSJ4 in GT Goku would be about 4000x stronger than he was as an SSJ3 against Buu.

However, I'm not arguing Goku should have won based on that. I'm just fine with them sticking to the level of power shown in Z . The utterly ridiculous power increase Goku is shown to have in GT despite being reduced to child form is one of the reasons GT is so hated. At least thats one of my reasons.

I don't mind them using SSJ4 for the video though, as SSJ4 was by far the best thing about GT, and the way its achieved actually makes some sense.

So yeah, canon Goku with SSJ4 can't beat Superman. Just thought that was interesting.

Also, fuck GT.

EDIT: And now that I'm thinking about it the whole 40 tons thing is bugging me. I know thats what it said in the manga, but it seems to be horribly inconsistent with the actual power Goku has demonstrated throughout DB and DBZ. Hell his own body weight would have been several tons when training under 100X gravity on his way to Namek, and by the time he fought Frieza he was vastly more powerful. And thats not even taking his weighted clothes into account. Although, he might not have still been using weighted clothes at that point. Memory fails me here.

I know Power levels are unreliable, but this should give you an idea of what I mean.

Goku VS Ginyu Force-90,000

Goku vs Frieza-3,000,000

So if Goku at 90,000 can move around in 100X gravity, then by the time he fought Frieza I would say 40 tons wouldn't be that much to him. I guess I'd just chalk it up to a mistake on Toriyama's part. Not that it really matters to the DBZ storyline.

It just bugs me.

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
I'm going to shamelessly hack this thread for the sake of self promotion, and ask you all to watch me fight Raiden to the death.

We should totally make this a general DEATHBATTLE thread, FGJ.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Raiden, you cool and all man but you are so completely fucked it hurts. It hurts like a hammer to the face, specifically.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Interesting to point out that they actually didn't use Goku at his prime for this fight. If memory serves the manga chapter they used where Goku lifted forty tons was from the Buu saga. So basicly they took Buu saga Goku and slapped SSJ4 on him.

Now, Goku in GT was absurdly strong by comparison. For example, General Rildo is stated by Goku himself to be stronger than Majin Buu, yet Goku has no trouble fighting him in base form. What that means is Goku in GT is at least as powerful in his base form, as his SSJ3 form was against Buu.

So at his absolute maximum as a SSJ4 in GT Goku would be about 4000x stronger than he was as an SSJ3 against Buu.

However, I'm not arguing Goku should have won based on that. I'm just fine with them sticking to the level of power shown in Z . The utterly ridiculous power increase Goku is shown to have in GT despite being reduced to child form is one of the reasons GT is so hated. At least thats one of my reasons.

I don't mind them using SSJ4 for the video though, as SSJ4 was by far the best thing about GT, and the way its achieved actually makes some sense.

So yeah, canon Goku with SSJ4 can't beat Superman. Just thought that was interesting.

Also, fuck GT.

EDIT: And now that I'm thinking about it the whole 40 tons thing is bugging me. I know thats what it said in the manga, but it seems to be horribly inconsistent with the actual power Goku has demonstrated throughout DB and DBZ. Hell his own body weight would have been several tons when training under 100X gravity on his way to Namek, and by the time he fought Frieza he was vastly more powerful. And thats not even taking his weighted clothes into account. Although, he might not have still been using weighted clothes at that point. Memory fails me here.

I know Power levels are unreliable, but this should give you an idea of what I mean.

Goku VS Ginyu Force-90,000

Goku vs Frieza-3,000,000

So if Goku at 90,000 can move around in 100X gravity, then by the time he fought Frieza I would say 40 tons wouldn't be that much to him. I guess I'd just chalk it up to a mistake on Toriyama's part. Not that it really matters to the DBZ storyline.

It just bugs me.

Toriyama is terribly inconsistent when it comes to the science behind the characters and there feats.
IIRC it took Goku seconds to fly from one side of Namek to another, and this planet is a few times larger then Earth.

Later on it took Gotenks minutes to fly around the Earth.
Even later on it took Pan seconds to fly around the Earth, and she was never near the level of Namek era Goku, much less Gotenks.

I'd say Toriyama didnt put much thought into there other feats of strength either :monster:

Top Bottom