• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Deleted Concept: Ifalna's Cells Were Going To be Used In The Soldier Program Instead Of Jenova's

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Aerith_Gainsborough

Apparently it was going to be Iflana's cells that were going to be used. I wonder if it would have been in earlier scripts where jenova as a concept was a gene that everyone had. It's quite the contrast, and again it would show the Cetra to be different from regular humans if this was canon. And also still disturbing that they would use a humanoid for their pogram.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Aerith_Gainsborough

Apparently it was going to be Iflana's cells that were going to be used. I wonder if it would have been in earlier scripts where jenova as a concept was a gene that everyone had. It's quite the contrast, and again it would show the Cetra to be different from regular humans if this was canon. And also still disturbing that they would use a humanoid for their pogram.

More disturbing than using the intact remains of an alien misidentified as a human?

I'm just wondering why Ifalna's cell were never used even when she was in Shin-Ra custody. :closedmonster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Because her cells wouldn't do anything. By the time she was captured and held in Shinra custody, Hojo knew the truth about the Cetra and what Jenova was from everything she told Gast Farmis. She was captured at Icicle Inn and then brought to the Shinra Company to see if she would be able to find 'The Promised Land' and give them more Mako. That's what they had hoped to use her for.

Hojo wasn't stupid. He watched all those tapes on Jenova, the Ancients, and the Northern Crater, but held that info to himself. Jenova cells were already in use for the SOLDIER program and Hojo had no qualms about using them for said purpose. Everyone else may have been ignorant of the fact of Jenova's origin but he wasn't.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Which just basically confirms how cruel, sick and evil Hojo was, considering how he hidden the truth of Jenova from everyone else for his own goals.

Cereal for Dinner

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Sorcerologist
I don't know if this is true, unless they have a source for it. That said, would Ifalna be what Jenova was to him in this alternate scenario?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I don't know if this is true, unless they have a source for it. That said, would Ifalna be what Jenova was to him in this alternate scenario?
Yeah, I would like to see a source for this that isn't just a fan-edited wiki, and doesn't sound remarkably close to a similar-yet-still-appreciably-different unused concept brought up in the Early Material Files of the Ultimania Omega -- namely, that of Aerith's mother being "used to produce artificial Ancients like Sephiroth."

More disturbing than using the intact remains of an alien misidentified as a human?
Interestingly enough, Jenova's recovered mummy wasn't just her own cellular material but also assimilated human remains. Fans have long suspected as much, and "The Kids Are Alright" confirmed it.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Always thought the end of the game would have ran better had Lucretia appeared as a new primary jenova host.
Like the final battle against sephiroth ends, you get a bit of dialogue then walks out Lucretia talking to cloud and co before you realise from the moment she had the cells injected into her jenova had been turning her into a new host body. Would have been gut wrenching to see Vincent's reaction :P

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
this-isnt-even-my-final-form_o_1030966.jpg

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Always thought the end of the game would have ran better had Lucretia appeared as a new primary jenova host.
Like the final battle against sephiroth ends, you get a bit of dialogue then walks out Lucretia talking to cloud and co before you realise from the moment she had the cells injected into her jenova had been turning her into a new host body. Would have been gut wrenching to see Vincent's reaction :P

As if this guy didn't need more issues, but I love the idea. Like Lucretia could become the new host of Jenova. That's actually a good idea as well because it means melding Sephiroth's two mommies together.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage

Ergo isn't the hero we want, he's the hero we need. :awesome: This needs to be a thing because it means DoC would never need to happen. :monster: Fuck it, they retconned enough nonsensical shit - just give us this Squeenix!

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ergo isn't the hero we want, he's the hero we need. :awesome: This needs to be a thing because it means DoC would never need to happen. :monster: Fuck it, they retconned enough nonsensical shit - just give us this Squeenix!

This is a better concept than Dirge of Cerberus.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
What does Lucrecia bring to the table as a final bossfight? She's not particularly combat capable as far as we know, and JENOVA is perfectly capable of turning into giant monsters all on her own. Why would she go to the effort of tracking Lucrecia down just to troll Vincent, which would also mean that the JENOVA fight suddenly becomes centred on an optional character.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Jenova doesn't need to track Lucretia down, she already has jenova cells inside of her from the experiment that bore sephiroth. The reason I think it would be good is that from the little interaction you have with her in the game she is solely focused on her baby (sephiroth)
You all but admit he's still alive so a nice twist would be for the jenova cells that are keeping Lucretia in a near immortal state like Vincent may then begin to warp and start to make Lucretia move towards sephiroth in northern crater and as she finds her sons dead body she loses the last of her hope and humanity and jenova takes full control and tries to assert dominance over the endgame.

Again just my mindset of "ya know what would have been cool in ff7"
XD
I am in no way spouting this as a potential for the remake or it to be taken as canon.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jenova doesn't need to track Lucretia down, she already has jenova cells inside of her from the experiment that bore sephiroth. The reason I think it would be good is that from the little interaction you have with her in the game she is solely focused on her baby (sephiroth)
You all but admit he's still alive so a nice twist would be for the jenova cells that are keeping Lucretia in a near immortal state like Vincent may then begin to warp and start to make Lucretia move towards sephiroth in northern crater and as she finds her sons dead body she loses the last of her hope and humanity and jenova takes full control and tries to assert dominance over the endgame.

Again just my mindset of "ya know what would have been cool in ff7"
XD
I am in no way spouting this as a potential for the remake or it to be taken as canon.

Yeah, Sephiroth was cool, but I think Jenova needed some spotlight as an antagonist.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
To me jenova is the antagonist it just becomes diluted in the fact sephiroth is the main face of evil within the game.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
To me jenova is the antagonist it just becomes diluted in the fact sephiroth is the main face of evil within the game.

Sephiroth and Shinra are the antagonists in my mind. Jenova didn't make Shinra start killing the planet, wage war on Wutai, destroy Barret's hometown, kidnap Red XII and Aerith or gun down Zack, it didn't make Sephiroth decide that he is the Chosen One and that humanity is to blame for taking the planet from the Ancients and subsequently destroy Nibelheim and kill Tifa's dad and Cloud's mom. Sephiroth decided that Jenova and subsequently his true nature meant they should become akin to Gods because of knowledge he acquired travelling through the Lifestream. Throughout all of this Jenova has only been a means to an end, like Mako energy. It'd be nice if she had more agency, but the fact that Lucretia needs to be brought into the picture if Sephiroth is taken out highlights the problem with that, no one in the cast has one iota of emotional investment in dealing with Jenova, nor does Jenova herself know or care about any of AVALANCHE or even neccesarily about what happens with the Lifestream. You'd have to start way earlier and redo the plot from the ground up to make Jenova the antagonist.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
@Roger
That is very well put. Though I wonder if perhaps Sephiroth was always doomed to become what he did once he got close to Jenova (we know Hojo arranged the Nibelheim mission because he was curious to see what would happen), or if the extreme pride he had anyway is what made the difference.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
I get what your saying in regards to shinra and the war etc however in the grand scheme of things jenova was the planets original nemesis and even as the game plays out it remains so.

The biggest problem is that there isn't really enough intel on what jenova actually was. Your told that it was a shape shifting damn near immortal entity but tbh it doesn't really exert its own will in the game.

I always seen jenova as a planet killing parasite. The jenova cells infiltrate a host body and replicate and slowly degrade the host. As seen by all the clones, genesis etc.

Sephiroth becomes an almost perfect entity for jenova to thrive. He gains near godlike powers but at a cost.

The man literally exists as a killing machine and is probably the single reason why shinra won the wutai war but the moment he finds out he was born as an experiment and jenovas origins be begins to unravel mentally ultimately resulting in his first "death"

What's to say the jenova cells that infiltrate host bodies don't in fact cause the host to slowly unravel and become drones of sorts?

Again hypothesizing XD

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
@Roger
That is very well put. Though I wonder if perhaps Sephiroth was always doomed to become what he did once he got close to Jenova (we know Hojo arranged the Nibelheim mission because he was curious to see what would happen), or if the extreme pride he had anyway is what made the difference.

Hojo next to Jenova is really the source of misery in the FF7 world.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
I suppose it's a sign of good writing though that they created a universe that didn't answer a lot of questions in character design but still have enough to become hooked XD

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I suppose it's a sign of good writing though that they created a universe that didn't answer a lot of questions in character design but still have enough to become hooked XD

That is true, and Jenova is just one of the biggest mysteries of the series.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I don't think we have to decide on who the 'real' antagonist is, the vagueness is probably better storytelling.

For me, Sephiroth always made a decision. He didn't immediately break her out of the reactor, he went back to Nibelheim and read a bunch of books first. I saw JENOVA-Sephiroth as being more of a partnership than either having domination.

The issue with Lucrecia-JENOVA for me is that it might trigger Sephiroth to have a 'wait a second, you're not my real mom' moment, which is the last thing JENOVA would want.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I don't think we have to decide on who the 'real' antagonist is, the vagueness is probably better storytelling.

For me, Sephiroth always made a decision. He didn't immediately break her out of the reactor, he went back to Nibelheim and read a bunch of books first. I saw JENOVA-Sephiroth as being more of a partnership than either having domination.

The issue with Lucrecia-JENOVA for me is that it might trigger Sephiroth to have a 'wait a second, you're not my real mom' moment, which is the last thing JENOVA would want.

Or maybe he could be so deluded that he could be convinced that Lucrecia is a host that Jenova took over, instead of his biological mother.

Top Bottom