Development For My Novel-In-Progress

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Hey doodz!

So, I decided to share with you guys the development of my Novel-In-Progress, which will currently span a total of 4 Story Arcs (and might just be separate books if it pans out right). Also, be advised, as it is still a work in progress, if something doesn't make sense or sounds kind of off, I prolly haven't completely ironed it out yet xD.

Anyway, the tentative title at the moment is "Kings of Fate", which is still subject to change, and the story centers around my two main characters, Kabel and Rowen, whom start out as good friends and eventually form a deep bond of brotherhood with each other, as well as forming close friendships with the wider cast over time. This story entails a lot of supernatural-type stuff, like demons, mages, etc so, it'll prolly sound a little anime-esque xD.

In the beginning, I had only really loosely created both characters out of a gathered-interest in various different things, like Final Fantasy, various anime and even some movies, though there wasn't much at the time and they weren't even properly named. It wasn't until I watched the anime, 'Kill La Kill' for the first time that inspiration literally slammed me like a mack truck and the story took off like a shot through the dark. No kidding, so many ideas and details just started falling into place and then my wider main cast of characters began to materialize. I eventually realized that I wanted the theme of the story to be about a brotherhood between men, who face their trials and tribulations together with some even testing their bond, seeing if they can overcome it.. (Yes, I know, it sounds a bit like CW's 'Supernatural' xDDD, though it IS where some of the inspiration came from LOL.)

The story also entails a bloody history prior to present time and lays down what lead to the current events. As follows, here's a rough draft/summary of said history:

In the time when humanity was still very young, demons were not too well known and the Fallen Ones, those who originally fell from Heaven following Lucifer, came to understand this quickly. In an effort to corrupt and hurt humankind, 5 of the Fallen Ones eventually came into contact with 5 humans, each one coerced into striking a bargain with a Fallen One each, and were soon dramatically transformed into the 5 Progenitors of Demonkind: Ivory, Amber, Azure, Jade, and Red.
[Side Note: This transformation given to each human permanently removes their humanity and alters them physically and mentally, becoming demons themselves, however, the only thing they could not change was their souls.]
These 5 Demons became known as the Progenitor Kings as they possessed the direct bloodlines of the Fallen Ones on the earthly plane and spawned the Earth's race of demonkind, further instilling their demonic heirarchy shared between them.

Demonkind began to populate over the millennia, only being hindered somewhat during the Great Flood that brought an end to the first of humanity, though each of the 5 Kings at the time, survived. Their numbers soon increased to such a rate that humanity began to fall under their thrall, many humans being taken as slaves, hunted down or merely being killed by proxy from collateral or for no reason. Among the humans, Mages existed as well, but though they were equipped with innate, magical ability, many of them eventually fell prey to demons, as demons were both skilled in their type of demonic magic as well as powerful, physical prowess, often fighting rather ruthlessly and savagely. Normal humans themselves lost many to the demons, with only few managing to succeed in fighting back. In a desperate attempt to hold on to hope and search for a way to stop the tyranny of the 5 current Demon Kings (Shiro, Saffron, Cerul, Edel and Carmine), the remainder of humanity prayed to Heaven, pleading for a way out..

Thus, the 1st Generation of Darkslayers came to be, dubbed the Firstborn. Darkslayers are human, like ordinary people, but are also equipped with an extra gene (later called the Berserker Gene) in their genetic makeup that grants them superhuman abilities, strength, power and innate, magical ability, much like Mages but to a somewhat lesser degree. Slayers can be considered "metahumans" for this reason. Their bodies are more reinforced with strength and their bone structures carry more density than normal, allowing them more force in combat. Beyond this, however, is a Slayer's greatest asset in battle: the ability to transform into an enhanced, armored state-of-being, later called Berserker Mode. This form allows a Slayer to utilize and/or reach their current peak in full power as well as giving them higher physical defense.

With the rise of the Darkslayers, a war between both races was ignited and, over time, demonkind was driven back into the shadows, along with 4 of the Demon Kings (2 having been moderately wounded), while the Red King, Carmine, had been slain as well as many others. Humankind finally began to flourish and repopulate the world again, especially now that the Slayers had established the Crusade Order, taking up the mantle they believed had been given to them by God, to protect others from the clutches of demons. The Berserker Gene was also found to often be hereditary, as it allowed newer generations of Slayers to be born alongside ordinary people, thus, demonkind had finally been contained..

Within the shadows of the world, the 4 remaining Kings, particularly Shiro the Ivory King, bided his time, waiting for a chance to strike back, waiting for humanity to weaken.. and for the Slayers to drop their guard...

Well, that's pretty much a rundown of how it all started. I'll go into other details in a second post as this one is REALLY long already xD.

~ Mari

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Hookay, so here I'll go into some of my characters and how the story begins in the First Arc, also detailing my main 2 male characters. Again, this isn't all completely ironed out yet and parts of it could be subject to change so, bear with me:

Kabel, my first character, is 25 yrs old, has worked at a stocking company for about 4 years and is known to have a cocky and somewhat prideful personality.. he is also aware that he is the reincarnation of Carmine, the Red King, whom had been slain in the War that took place about a thousand years prior. (He was made painfully aware of this fact 5 years ago when he was attacked by a she-demon in disguise, causing his dormant power to awaken, leading to this startling revelation though he was initially unaware that he was Carmine at first.)

Rowen, my second character and Kabel's best friend, is 24 yrs old, has been at the same stocking company for 2 years and also happens to be one of the Crusade Order's Elite Class; he holds 3rd Rank among the top 5 most skilled and powerful Slayers. Rowen's personality is a little more serious than Kabel, though he can be silly and playful when relaxed.

Kabel's identity as a demon was discovered by Rowen on accident, after fending off another and was confused at Kabel's outright refusal to hurt anyone when confronted and only wanted to protect people. After further explanation, with Kabel lamenting that he still has memory-gaps of his previous life, Rowen decides to spare him though he begins to have suspicions that Kabel might actually be the slain Red King, Carmine. Within the span of 2 years, they become good friends and begin to form a bond as Kabel offers to help Rowen against any demons that try to prey on others, while the Slayer helps Kabel strengthen himself to further control his demonic power and nature. It is also here when an old friend and former colleague of his, named Micah, comes into the story, being made aware of Kabel's odd situation and decides to stay around for a while.
[Side Note: Rowen and Micah grew up together, along with another friend, Castor during their days training to be Slayers, though the latter 2 did not possess the Berserker Gene. {{The Crusade Order does allow ordinary humans to partake in the prelimanary test to train as Slayers, but it is often difficult for them to pass, as Slayer training is very rigorous and harsh.}} the 3 eventually went their separate ways when Micah pulled out of his training to instead become an altar boy for eventual Priesthood, having revealed to his friends that he was a natural-born Light Mage. Castor quickly fell out of contact shortly after this to train himself vigorously to prove himself to his own family, whom where a long line of accomplished natural-born Slayers. He eventually manages to attain 2nd Rank, above Rowen in the Elite Class (though it was purely out of skill and barely by a narrow margin).]

The story eventually kicks off when both men are forced to confront painful and pressing issues from their respective pasts:

Kabel runs into trouble when the other 4 Kings finally reappear and is made to deal with Shiro's apparent disgust and hate for him, directly recognizing him as Carmine, but considers him trash due to his birth as a human. As he struggles with the large gaps in his memory, the problem is further complicated when a fight with a particulary sadistic demon causes Carmine's persona to suddenly resurface as a 2nd personality, often taking over in extreme combat or situations.

Rowen eventually encounters his old friend Castor after a long period of no contact, but is hurt at the shocking display of malice Castor harbors against him, further raising a very painful memory of Rowen's: the death of his apprentice, Zane, whom had been killed by collateral during Rowen's previous battle against the Amber King, Saffron, though she escaped after being badly wounded.
Startling and horrifying revelations come to light when secrets are spilled, complicating the already compounding issues and further leads to a shocking secret that binds Rowen and Kabel together, far deeper than anyone could've guessed possible.

Well, there you have it, a basic rundown of the first story arc :). I may do another post for character personalities and whatnot, but not entirely sure yet.

~ Mari

Top Bottom