Did AVALANCHE stop using materia or not???

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
[quote author=Dacon link=topic=242.msg5838#msg5838 date=1231103447]
Black Materia is materia turned into a giant temple, since when can materia be turned into a giant structure?
[/quote]

Let's be honest, if spirit energy can turn into ghosts, people, leather clothes and swords, it can turn into fucking buildings too. :duhard:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Eh, for thousands of years?

Seems unlikely to me.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Summon monsters, and whatnot don't hang around for that long.

Which leads me to believe Cetra and their knowledge of materia production was leaps and bounds beyond what people are capable of now.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
BINGO!

That's exactly right, since they were the race that was closest to the planet and all. After all, all people in FFVII try to do now is try to copy what they were able to do anyways, thanks to materia.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Sorry, Mako, but I refuse to accept that materia misuse would not take its toll mentally on the user when they are being imbued with spiritual knowledge.

Dacon made the right example when you said how people can only study for a certain period before their minds become pickled. The same applies to materia.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=242.msg5845#msg5845 date=1231104353]
BINGO!

That's exactly right, since they were the race that was closest to the planet and all. After all, all people in FFVII try to do now is try to copy what they were able to do anyways, thanks to materia.
[/quote]

Which leads me to believe it's innately different from normal materia.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Then why is mako poisoning never connected to materia, or such a warning given? Materia is never shown to somehow neurally fry someone because such an event can't happen unless you're in a perpetual state of casting a spell which causes a prolonged contact with the knowledge inside said materia.

Materia use happens in the instant a spell or ability is cast. You don't "learn" from the materia, and the knowledge of the materia doesn't rest or stay within a person's mind. How can it flood your mind with too much knowledge unless you're wielding a materia with too much knowledge beyond your brain's capacity?

@Dacon

Yeah, it's different because it's the strongest Black Magic materia in existence. It's still a materia. It's still crystallized spirit energy from the planet, given to the Ancients.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
[quote author=Dacon link=topic=242.msg5731#msg5731 date=1231055097]
Pretty sure energy was coming from Red when he tackled Bahamut.

And DoC Yuffie wasn't who I was asking about :monster:
[/quote]

No, Barret's Big Shot hits Bahamut when Red leaps at him. You can see the blast come from the side and that's why Bahamut turns to him and why is gun is overheated.

And I meant Yuffie in Advent Children, by DoC plug, I jsut meant the part of the Bahamut battle that focuses almost entirely on Vincent.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yeah, it's different because it's the strongest Black Magic materia in existence. It's still a materia. It's still crystallized spirit energy from the planet, given to the Ancients.

My dad's car is a vehicle, but it doesn't work the same as all other vehicles, because not all vehicles are the same.

And stop italicizing stuff you patronizing twang. It's not helping you get your point across and it's annoying.

No, Barret's Big Shot hits Bahamut when Red leaps at him. You can see the blast come from the side and that's why Bahamut turns to him and why is gun is overheated.

I see that now, the way it's animated it looks like it's coming from Red, but he's just jumping through it, which I find dumb, but whatever :monster:

knowledge of the materia doesn't rest or stay within a person's mind.

And how do you know that? Why would you only have knowledge of how to use the spell the instant you're using it? That's stupid!You can't use a spell unless you already know how to use it, you don't just all of a sudden know how.

You know when you have the materia equipped. How else can the spells evolve and the characters know how the use the more powerful spells?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I am not a twang!!! And while your dad's car isn't the same, it still runs on wheels, and needs gas.

And well since you need the materia to tap the knowledge and when you take the materia off you lose said knowledge, it looks like you don't keep or "learn" anything from the materia. You can't cast the spell.

A normal person can't use magic without materia. When the materia's equipped, they can cast and use whatever magic is inside it, and with use, the materia grows and evolves, because it's learning and gaining energy from the person. That's how the more powerful spells appear.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=242.msg5864#msg5864 date=1231108894]
I am not a twang!!!

And well since you need the materia to tap the knowledge and when you take the materia off you lose said knowledge, it looks like you don't keep or "learn" anything from the materia. You can't cast the spell.

A normal person can't use magic without materia. When the materia's equipped, they can cast and use whatever magic is inside it, and with use, the materia grows and evolves, because it's learning and gaining energy from the person. That's how the more powerful spells appear.
[/quote]

Yes, but you have the knowledge in your head when you have the materia equipped you cunt. When you unequip materia, you lose the knowledge because you brain doesn't work that way, you can't just download information into your head.

You couldn't cast spells if you only had knowledge of them the moment you casted them

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
What knowledge fucker?

I mean, we know you can't cast magic without materia because the knowledge of the Ancients is only known through materia. So you have the knowledge while equipped and not using it?

No, you gotta use it first. You gotta actually tap into it. You can't just gain the knowledge by holding it.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=242.msg5876#msg5876 date=1231113062]
What knowledge fucker?

I mean, we know you can't cast magic without materia because the knowledge of the Ancients is only known through materia. So you have the knowledge while equipped and not using it?

No, you gotta use it first. You gotta actually tap into it. You can't just gain the knowledge by holding it.
[/quote]

That is retarded. You don't just all of a sudden know how to use magic the moment you're doing it.

That doesn't make any freaking sense. You have have the materia equipped to know how to use magic, that's the only way it would make any lick of sense.

You don't just magically use spells without knowing what the fuck you're doing. When you have Materia equipped on your person, you must know how to use the magic in some way, you don't just all of sudden know how to use magic only at the moment you're using it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
So the minute you hold a materia, you know how to use magic? That's retarded too! You gotta actually use it to know it. When you use materia, you're linking yourself with the knowledge and THEN know how to cast magic. That's why there's the whole casting animation and shit.

If all it took was just holding or equipping materia to learn how to cast magic, then they'd just figure out how to use the magic without the materia, if its in your mind and you know how to use magic just by having it on you.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
So the minute you hold a materia, you know how to use magic? That's retarded too! You gotta actually use it to know it.

No it isn't, not if you link your spirit energy to it, you DON'T JUST SUDDENLY LEARN HOW TO USE MAGIC AS YOU'RE DOING IT.
If all it took was just holding or equipping materia to learn how to cast magic, then they'd just figure out how to use the magic without the materia, if its in your mind and you know how to use magic just by having it on you.

I didn't say that was all there was to it fgt, but they sure as hell don't suddenly know how to do it the minute they use it! that just makes no sense.

You make it sound like they're learning how to use the spell as they do it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Okay, that actually makes sense then. :monster:

I think we actually are thinking the same thing but I worded it wrong. I agree when you link your spirit energy to it, that's when you tap into it and thus know it. And that's when you can tap it and start casting magic.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Good, don't make me slap you.

Top Bottom