• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Did you like Cait Sith?

Did you like Cait Sith?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I sense a great amount of intolerance here towards changing the script, and that seems to be the real reason for a lot of the arguing, but at the end of the day, it is no use moaning about if I am gonna do it or if I should do it, as I am doing.

This is the same argument you pulled out in the flunky debate. Why can you not grasp that the problem is you? Your demeanor drips with condescension towards anyone would dream of having a different opinion from your own.
It's your mod, you could replace all the characters with chickens if you wanted, why would we care about that? You didn't ask our damn permission, you asked if we though Cait Sith was as worthless as you do. Where does disagreement with this statement translate to us just being defensive of the game?

What isn't in question here is that Cait has a very poor story, and that for me personally, and others, he broke the suspension of disbelief.

Except that's NOT what you're saying. That would be an opinion which you insist it is not. Its your stalwart claim that you are the only damn authority on fiction and that everyone who does not feel the same simply doesn't get it.

THAT's why people are arguing with you. You asked what people thought of Cait Sith, a couple people agreed with you, others did not. You rebutted the thoughts of those that disagreed with you. In and of itself that's fine - its what we do here - its your sardonic demeanor that causes people to straight-up oppose your position.

You keep saying we're missing something so simple. THIS is simple and you have not grasped it because you have not attempted to. Nor will you, I imagine.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
Its your stalwart claim that you are the only damn authority on fiction
I am not the authority on fiction but the debate we are having is not opinion based. It isn't opinion that Cait breaks its own fiction and is a poor character or that he has a poor story. These are not opinions.

The criticisms of Cait are real and are easy to see. There really shouldnt even be anyone here arguing with them. You are free to like the character but not to tell me that the character worked in the fiction, it didn't. It is as simple as that.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I am not the authority on fiction but the debate we are having is not opinion based. It isn't opinion that Cait breaks its own fiction and is a poor character or that he has a poor story. These are not opinions.

Yes, they are.

THEY. ARE.

THEY. FUCKING. ARE.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

The criticisms of Cait are real and are easy to see. There really shouldnt even be anyone here arguing with them. You are free to like the character but not to tell me that the character worked in the fiction, it didn't. It is as simple as that.

• This thread is whether or not you personally prefer for the character (opinion).
- FACT

• Cait Sith's character wasn't as well fleshed out as the other party members in FFVII.
- FACT

• Cait Sith didn't ruin my suspension of disbelief in FFVII.
- FACT

• Cait Sith did ruin DPLB's suspension of disbelief in FFVII.
- FACT

I've quoted game material that discusses Cait Sith's existence in the FFVII universe that doesn't directly go against any pre-established rules explicitly in FFVII's world setting.

Therefore,

• Cait Sith breaks FFVII's fiction.
- MYTH BUSTED.

X :neo:

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
Yes, they are.

THEY. ARE.

THEY. FUCKING. ARE.

No they aren't. And it is time you realised it. It can be demonstrated that the dialogue is poor, and that the reasons are poor. It can be demonstrated that logically the story surrounding him does not work in the story well and that the character and motivations ARE TOO UNREALISTIC EVEN FOR THE FICTIONAL WORLD AND LAWS IN WHICH HE IS SET.

This isn't in debate. You might think it is. It isn't. I know you are used to the idea that everything in the world is not provable or that all arguments have equal weight. They don't. Your argument is weaker than mine.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It can be demonstrated that logically the story surrounding him does not work in the story well and that the character and motivations ARE TOO UNREALISTIC EVEN FOR THE FICTIONAL WORLD AND LAWS IN WHICH HE IS SET.

SO... Take examples and logically demonstrate it.

This isn't in debate. You might think it is. It isn't.

It is, that's what's happening right now. Or that's what WOULD be happening if you could provide concrete basis for your opinion. You seem to have very carefully avoided doing that.

I know you are used to the idea that everything in the world is not provable or that all arguments have equal weight. They don't. Your argument is weaker than mine.

Unless it's provable, it CAN'T BE A FACT, it's just an opinion. So that statement PROVES that you're point of view is an OPINION. THAT... is a fact.

Look, unless you seriously break down some elements of Cait Sith's character and provide evidence as to how they break FFVII's fiction, no one is going to listen to you, and you're not going to prove your point. You're just gonna keep going on and on about how what you believe is a fact with nothing to back up your claim, like you've been doing for the last several pages.

If you're actually correct, I shouldn't be able to debate your claims, because they'll be established facts. So make some already. EVERYONE'S waiting.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Scenario two, the dude somehow lives means the Ancients really didn't give two shits if someone got the equivalent of a goddamn nuke, why Sephiroth never did this himself is just baffling. If they're not going to die, what's stopping anyone from just taking it?

This, I have never had a satisfying explanation for this, why didn't Sephiroth use one of the reunion copies to do this? Or, as it seems bits of Jenova seem to be able to move independently one of these?! :huh:

There was a reunion dude right outside the fucking temple.....who just died for no fucking reason whatsover as soon as Cloud said hi to him. It would have made more sense if the reunion dude had attacked the party, forcing them to kill him.

Gah......this fuuuuuucking gaaaaaaame! I love and hate it as I love and hate myself! :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yes they are. And it is time I realized it.

Fixed

It can be demonstrated that the dialogue is poor, and that the reasons are poor. It can be demonstrated that logically the story surrounding him does not work in the story well and that the character and motivations ARE TOO UNREALISTIC EVEN FOR THE FICTIONAL WORLD AND LAWS IN WHICH HE IS SET.

This isn't in debate. You might think it is. It isn't. I know you are used to the idea that everything in the world is not provable or that all arguments have equal weight. They don't. Your argument is weaker than mine.

Then demonstrate. Give us this proof you claim you have that solves everything. I would like to see it.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
This, I have never had a satisfying explanation for this, why didn't Sephiroth use one of the reunion copies to do this? Or, as it seems bits of Jenova seem to be able to move independently one of these?! :huh:

There was a reunion dude right outside the fucking temple.....who just died for no fucking reason whatsover as soon as Cloud said hi to him. It would have made more sense if the reunion dude had attacked the party, forcing them to kill him.

Gah......this fuuuuuucking gaaaaaaame! I love and hate it as I love and hate myself! :monster:

Remember, when Sephiroth shows up it's not really Sephiroth that we are seeing. It's a bit of Jenova he is controlling.

But the whole point was that Sephiroth wanted CLOUD to get the black materia and hand it over. Sephiroth was just toying with Cloud's mind and wanted to prove that he was in charge.

I'm sure he would have used one of the other copies if he hadn't been so intent on messing with Cloud. I think Cloud even says this in the game.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Because he was dicking around with Cloud. He wanted him to get it just so he could force him to hand it over.

Now.

Daniel, what the fuck is going on here? When you first returned to this site you were respectful of different opinions and eager to show that you could be.

Lately -- and coming to a crescendo here in the past couple of days -- you've taken a celebratory stance in trying to offend everyone who disagrees with you, insulting people for even the slightest disagreements of opinion. Why the hell are you doing it?

I've spoken up for you a bit, because -- and I'm sure this is no surprise to you -- there are some folks on staff who would like to give you infractions or even outright ban you. Until lately, you hadn't really done anything that others don't do and get away with, but this constant insult fest that your post history has become? I'm going to tell you straight up that I'm fucking sick of it.

Are you just trying to irritate or something? Or is there really a genuine reason you cannot understand the meld between real physics and FICTION. There is an intertwining of the 2 in FF7. That's why Aerith died when she was stabbed. Many things require a SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF. Do you comprehend in the slightest what this means?

Literally, no. If you made FF7 into a novel are you really telling me you would add in the part about doing a squat contest for a wig.

FFVII isn't a novel, though. You're the one who has mentioned the concept of medium specificity over and over in this thread. Why are you comparing the story structure of a game to the story structure of a novel given the two different mediums?

There's a lot in FFVII's presentation that wouldn't be doable in a novel -- though, for what it's worth, a squat contest is entirely doable in prose.

Daniel said:
Use common sense. It is easy. It is all interpretation. Game elements are not always story elements. That;s obviously how a game story should be viewed or once again we get into the argument of hell House being real or Rufus firing shot gun rounds into Cloud.

For what it's worth, Rufus could fire at Cloud and miss. The two having a scuffle of some sort doesn't amount to Cloud being hit by necessity, nor does it require Rufus being struck by Cloud's sword before he escaped on the helicopter.

Obviously, neither really hit the other, but -- just as obviously -- a battle of some kind happened as Cloud references it only a moment later. And he obviously didn't stay behind just to talk to Rufus.

Daniel said:
Actually a shit load of it did, but not squats for wigs and Rufus blowing Cloud away with shot gun or collecting balloons on a great mountain.

AVALANCHE snowboarding to the Great Glacier is included in the FFVII Ultimania Omega's story-only Story Playback section -- a summary of FFVII's story. That happened. Probably without the balloons.

Daniel said:
Cait is a fiction breaker for anyone who wants a higher standard of storytelling LIKE ME.

A higher standard or a different tone? You're conflating the two.

Daniel said:
I am afraid a human being with real power in Shin-Ra would not rely on a robot cat and stuffed toy. That's absurd.

It happened.

Daniel said:
The reason FFX is a different argument is again because Blitz Ball and Underwater breathing are GAMEPLAY elements and they are not something which damages the main story arc.

Blitzball is very much part of the story. Where are you coming from with this?

And, as has been repeated around here over and over of late, they don't breathe underwater -- they train in holding their breath for long periods of time, and the high concentration of pyreflies that occurs naturally in Spira assists them in maintaining stamina underater.

Daniel said:
This is again Suspension of disbelief. I can suspend it in FFX, the whole world of Spira is different to FF7's world. The rules and laws are different and the tone is completely different.

This is verifiably untrue, man -- FFVII and FFX have the same metaphysics!:

http://thelifestream.net/final-fant...anniversary-ultimania-sources-of-power-in-ff/

Materia=spheres, mako=spirit energy=pyreflies, etc.

As for the tone, if anything, FFX's overall tone is more of a downer than VII's by a mile.

Daniel said:
I expect to see crazy illogical creatures in FF9, it is almost pure fantasy. FF7 is not. It has established rules from the very beginning based on OUR REAL PLANET. Not ALL rules, but the main ones, like normal human stabbed =dead/severely injured.

But FFVII has Red. How is he not a "crazy, illogical creature." Can't even seem to make up his mind if he wants to be more canine than feline.

If you have problems with all this stuff, a silly, fun show like "Spongebob Squarepants" must be utterly impossible for you to enjoy. And that makes me sad.

oh and btw I don't consider anything which is not the original game as canon. Canon doesn't exist. They have changed so many things, made so many retcons that the fiction fails the minute you try to incorporate the Preq/seq into the main story.

That isn't how the concept of canon works. While I think I've proven at length that I am more pissed about all the changes to continuity than anyone else in the fandom (see the "Compilation of FFVII inconsistencies" article in this document), neither I nor the copious continuity prolapses have any bearing on the meaning of the term.

Daniel said:
FF7 was designed to be 1 story. It was. It ended. Rufus is dead. Sephiroth is dead. Jenova is dead. Genesis never existed. Nor did Jango Fett. That's it. The end :P

That's not reality, dude.

It is obviously a game in a movie when you see things like Clouds Limit Break in action on Sephiroth at the end.

Limit Breaks -- identical to the Trance concept of FFIX, being a surge in an individual's spirit energy during a moment of desperation, allowing them to do really cool shit -- is a story-based element of FFVII's setting, as well as that of at least one other title that shares FFVII's metaphysics (FFIX), and was incorporated into gameplay the same way that Cloud's story-based use of a sword was.

AC/C doesn't ignore established laws of gravity in FFVII -- spirit energy had been established in the original FFVII as something that could allow one to defy gravity.

How do you think Seph flies in the first place or calls down giant meteors? Why don't you have a problem with that? All of it works within the established metaphysics of the setting, and all of it by virtue of the same explanation -- spirit energy.

Daniel said:
In AC Cloud and Sephiroth are fighting forever being flung into walls and floating about.

It is fucking SHITE. SHITE. SHIT SHITE FUCKIN SHITTY SHITE.

It lessens the entire feel of the drama. It makes Sephiroth appear too weak and Cloud appear too strong.

And that's why you remember that Sephiroth was playing with Cloud the entire fight. :monster: Just like in the original game, when he could have killed everyone at any time the way he killed Aerith.

In that AC/C fight, he even passed up the biggest opening he ever got just to gloat. Cloud was desperate to win that fight. Sephiroth was not.

Daniel said:
At the end of that scene, Sephiroth impales Cloud with his sword. Imagine if that had happened within the first 10 seconds of their confrontation. Yes. That's right.. it establishes Sephiroth is awesome and not to be messed with and it makes us genuinely fear for Cloud's safety. IT WORKS.

No, it makes the fight really short and is a disappointment to those who want to watch Sephiroth and Cloud engage in one of the stylized battles that are so common in fiction from the Land of the Rising Sun. :monster:

Daniel said:
The light saber was cool in SW because it was seldom used and used realistically.

I would wager most people thought it was cool because it was a sword that had a laser for a blade.

If you're speaking to why you believe it was effective, I wouldn't venture to disagree with the comment you made. However, it's been nearly 30 years since even the original Star Wars trilogy finished. It had its time to be effective. It succeeded.

Doesn't mean that every depiction of lightsabers thereafter must concern themselves with how much screentime they got in the original films.

For what it's worth, by the way, I think Mace Windu fought Jango Fett exactly in the manner that you say Seph and Cloud should have fought/the manner you say lightsabers should be used in battle. It was a short fight, and Windu went straight for the kill.

The fact that fights involving multiple lightsaber users last longer in the prequel trilogy is supposed to be indicative of the skill of the combatants.

As for Cait, I think I supplied enough evidence of why the character does not work well in FF7.

You provided your opinion, man. Obsidian Fire provided several reasons why Cait works extremely well in FFVII's story:

The part of me that likes analyzing plots and writing fan fiction likes him a lot. He represents a point of view that is not often explored in games/movies, the pov of the nice guy in a position of moderate power in the bad company. This serves to make Shin-Ra a more realistic company as no company is completely evil in the real world. He also serves as a foil for many events in the game, most notably Aerith's death scene. Other events/concepts he serves as a foil for are Sephiroth controlling Cloud and Cloud "betraying" the trust of the rest of the group when he give Sephiroth the Black Materia. He's the type of character that while he can be annoying, the group can't do without.

For those very reasons, Cait/Reeve has always been one of my favorite characters in the original game, well before the Compilation was a twinkle in anyone's eye.

In fact you will note that I have 1 Scottish person helping me with the retranslation project, so that we get Cait as he was originally intended.

He aint a friend :P but I think it is best I consult someone who understands the dialect because I sure as hell don't :P

Cait was written with a Kansai dialect. You know this, right?

Daniel said:
So I would say I am doing a better job already than the original translation team who couldnt care less for the sack of crap they served up.

They had him speak in a silly, informal manner. Cait actually has a strongly presented "voice" in the original English translation.

Daniel said:
I think you need to realise that I understand writing and fiction a whole lot more than you

Okay, I'm tired of reading this without you giving some qualifications. I can't speak for anyone else here (though I'd be surprised if my own qualifications exceed those of everyone else), but beyond my own lifelong interest in studying storytelling across different mediums, I've taken writing classes, film classes, have a degree in journalism, a degree in media communication (communication here referring more to a theoretical concept than a purely technological one), and have some formal education in translating Japanese from a native speaker.

Go.

Daniel said:
and I am definitely more of a fan of FF7. How I debate on forums, or how I respond to you, or the lack of respect I give certain people here, has nothing to do with my ability to retranslate the game or create Skoll Iscarit.

At the end of the day, we are all fans of FF7

=|

Given FF7 is what I would term, the greatest game ever made, I don't think so. However, unlike you, I am not a religious fanatic of FF7. I know its shortcomings and I know it can be better in many ways.

Ignoring the contradiction in those first two sentences, I think it bears pointing out that you are the only one here working on a years-long project to alter someone else's work into what you think would be better rather than focusing that energy into creating your own unique intellectual property that could be an altogether better story -- potentially with greater heuristic value to the more mordern time.

I'm not knocking your project. God knows I've wasted enough time with FFVII. Just look at that document I linked you to. What I'm knocking is all this blatant hypocrisy, man.

People go into a FF game expecting a great story and a balance of action. That did not happen in AC. It failed its own genre of being primarily storybased .

Final Fantasy is a franchise, not a genre. Within that franchise, there are multiple genres.

AC/C's genre is sci-fi -- or action sci-fi if you want to make it even more specific. Since it's a film (you remember all that medium specificity talk you did, I hope) this is the classification system you would go by.

Daniel said:
3. The character itself looks completely out of place with your party.

So do Aerith and Red, but in at least a couple of those cases, I'm sure that occured to the developers and was probably part of the point.

Daniel said:
If cloud was established as a moron with some sort of brain damage, yes.

He ... is. Not even trying to be funny here, but he is exactly that.

I also don't want a remake because I know exactly how it will end up. FF7 is done.

And yet you're changing it. :monster:

Didn't you get pissed at its creators for doing that? For inserting what they think would have been better after what already did exist had been established?

Huh? No I'm not. There will be differences although the core story of a spy will stay in tact. However, the main story of Skoll, is that he arrives in your party and thinks of you as nothing more than cutthroat terrorists. You are to him, a job.

The actual story is his change from that position to being one of turning against the Shin-Ra and realising his mistake. That is a fundamental change. Reeve has a smaller part of that theme. The dialogue is being altered completely... it is not just a 1:1 model swap.

Obviously there are going to be problems, not least how the hell I am gonna explain the temple of the Ancients. But these are things that I can overcome. Overall, the character will work better imho. But, we will see!

Skoll is part of Shin-Ra in a department which uses spies, basically allied with the Turks. That's the basic outline. I have been so busy with FMV and retranslation and menus that I have neglected work on this, but I think it can work somewhat.

Wait a minute, dude. You've not even finished writing this guy's story -- leaving unaddressed a scene that is sort of a big deal -- and you're already saying it's better than Cait's/Reeve's?

And how can you justify comments like the following when you've been focusing on FMVs and menus instead of finishing that?:

The rest of the time and budget could be spent on DIALOGUE and DECENT storytelling.

You're getting on Nomura's case for focusing on some visual shit instead of some story shit, but you're doing the same thing! You're complaining that FFVII's developers changed their minds about things in the story and only care about visuals, right? Yet you're doing this while modifying their work, calling it an improvement, and then revealing that you've not even finished altering the story elements that you say are so shitty before you start focusing on visuals yourself.

I'm at an utter loss here. Even if all of the insults you've hurled at everyone could have been justified by your endeavor, the fact that you've ignored your own principles defeats it.

This topic was hardly something to get as worked up about as you did in the first place, but if you're going to get as righteous as you have, at least stand by the convictions you claimed to have. I have nothing more to say to you.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

I would assume that the destruction of their Jenova cells for the ritual may interfere with Reunion, (if they took the place of Cait Sith), because the cells would be totally destroyed. That's a pretty broad speculation, but I can only assume that it's something like that.

It's a really good question though.

EDIT: I love you Tres.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I kinda forgot about all that stuff! :lol:

The whole idea of Sephiroth having this vendetta against Cloud just never sat well with me....He spent all that time absorbing knowledge in the Lifestream and yet hes still pissed at Cloud for chucking him off a bridge.... I just dont like my villians to be butthurt. 'Ha ha ha Cloud, I killed Aerith! Thats for making me cry! Wahh!'

Plus if he hadnt been so determined to fuck about with Cloud he probably would have suceeded in his plan and then could have had revenge on Cloud by making him his celestial bitch for all eternity!

But thats another story for another time......

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Well, Cloud was also the copy best suited to get in there, none of those half-comatose flunkies would have been able to get past the monsters. (The guardian dragon, for instance)

Which is not to say Sephiroth still couldn't have gotten around that, such as just doing it himself with the piece of Jenova masquerading as him, but having Cloud do it wasn't COMPLETELY irrational - and it happened to have the added bonus of screwing with his head.

Ariadne said:
Oh, baby, I knew you'd come home. =)

sbPropose.jpg

Last edited:
I can make an argument as to why Cait Sith joining you and the characters not blatantly accusing him of espionage, works.

Problem #1: Cait Sith forces himself into your group. Why does not Cloud object?
Answer: Cloud is a socially awkward guy. He was awkward as a kid and I perceive that he still is. When a character forces himself into the group what is Cloud to say? He just doesn't know as it is not in his nature to simply shout at the top of his lungs "FUCK OFF!".

Problem #2: Why doesn't Cloud object to Cait Sith's presence "eventually"?
Answer: Immediately after Cait Sith joins you, the shenanigans with Dyne and Corel Prison happens. Cait Sith is thrown into the same situation as Cloud & Team, being stuck in the prison, and they all have to get out of there. They all "end up on the same train" so to speak and after the Corel Prison adventure is over they've accepted Cait Sith, obviously.
Barret probably does not object to his surprising presence as Barret is too busy thinking about and tracking down Dyne. His emotional investment stops him from just grabbing Cait Sith and saying "WHODAFUCKAREYOUGETDAFUCKOUT!" Even if he did, Cloud is the leader and makes the decisions which leads to my later point...

Problem #3: Why doesn't the characters blatantly accuse Cait Sith of espionage?
Answer: In Gongaga, every party member brings up the possibility that a spy is in their midst. Cloud then says that he doesn't want to believe that there is a spy and that he trusts everyone. His stance is established and because Cloud is the leader it is his way that goes.

Problem #4: Is Cloud not acting out-of-character stupid by saying that he trusts everyone?
This answer can be divided into two parts.
Answer A: Cloud's naivety is expected.
Cloud has made a dramatic shift in personality at this point in comparison to the beginning. At first he acted like he didn't care plus he and Barret were always arguing.
But in Corel Prison, Cloud admits that if Barret were to die he would have nightmares. He cares about his group of new companions. Remember that this is a guy who has not been surrounded by a group of people he might call "friends" ever before in his life. (I admit, he *might* have had a few homies while being a Shinra grunt but that's not my impression of his character)
If you are not used to having friends, you are not used to the concept of distrust. Cloud has gone from douchébag to naive at this point.

I may add that this conclusion is partially drawn from personal experience; I never had many friends and it was only very recently, at the ripe age of 21 (which also happens to be Cloud's age in the game) that I was severely betrayed for the first time and only then learned the concept of distrust.

Answer B: Cloud is not very intelligent.

Cloud is not known for his great intellect. I point to a brief scene when you enter Junon on disc 2; the gamer can tell that the cannon is gone and Cloud turns to his party and says;
“I may be mistaken‚but…
Doesn't it feel like we're missing
something?”

This points to his lack of ability of observation. The Junon Cannon is gone...and Cloud only feels like something is missing without actually knowing what it is? Even ignoring his presence in Junon in Crisis Core, and even assuming he never was in Junon in the "original" canon, not being able to tell that such a huge landmark of a weapon is gone is just...stupid.

We may also want to trust Cid's judgement of Cloud's character; it gives us a rare insight as to how one of the characters in the team thought of Cloud.

Cid
“I want you to know
I didn't dislike him.”
“I gotta admit he was a strange dude.”
“Just when you thought he was cool,
he'd do some damn fool thing.”
“Then when you thought he was smart,
he'd show how stupid he was.”

^The above reasons are why Cait Sith joining you and him not being shoved away by the characters make sense to me. Never has there been a voice in my head that objects to him joining your party and staying there.

But probably the biggest problem remains.

Problem #5: A stuffed mog with a robot on top that is controlled by a Shinra Employee miles and miles away? Isn't that just too plain weird and inconvenient? Why not just send a human spy?

This one I admit I can't make sense of. Why is Reeve so attached to this robotic(?) cat that he feels the need to use it for this elaborate espionage scheme? Why is even Reeve, head of Urban Development, allowed this important task?
I dunno, maybe Reeve figured that the team would recognize a spy trained by Shinra. Maybe he figured that the fighting style of the stuffed moogle would not show hints of Shinra-type training, such as a human Shinra spy might. Maybe.

Something else I can't answer is why I can easily let this pass. Is it bad writing? Possibly. But all other aspects working, I don't see why I can't let this one slide.

Cloud and team consists of very weird characters. A talking red feline/canine creature. A girl with a huge rack and very sexy outfit. A guy with a gun crafted onto his arm (should it not hurt immensely to use that gun btw? Is he not feeling the entire recoil of each shot? I dunno, I'm not a physics major). Cloud himself walks around in an incomplete-SOLDIER-esque outfit carrying a huge sword. Every single individual in this group looks ridiculous to the point that they'd draw attention like a friggin' circus, although probably to the opposite effect as a circus and instead cause people to lock themselves in their houses. And this is even without the inclusion of Cait Sith.
Even if you argue that Cait Sith makes the party stand out even more at this point it really doesn't matter considering how much they already stand out.

The stuffed mog makes sense to me as I figure that Reeve wanted his spy to add even more of a mean punch to the party's fighting power. Cait Sith on his own is no more than a spy tool and he can't assist the party in fights.
The timing of the stuffed mog is also what makes it work as Mogs are the mascots of Gold Saucer, right alongside Chocobos.

Last edited:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Plus if he hadnt been so determined to fuck about with Cloud he probably would have suceeded in his plan and then could have had revenge on Cloud by making him his celestial bitch for all eternity!

Like every villian :monster:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Problem #5: A stuffed mog with a robot on top that is controlled by a Shinra Employee miles and miles away? Isn't that just too plain weird and inconvenient? Why not just send a human spy?

This one I admit I can't make sense of. Why is Reeve so attached to this robotic(?) cat that he feels the need to use it for this elaborate espionage scheme? Why is even Reeve, head of Urban Development, allowed this important task?
I dunno, maybe Reeve figured that the team would recognize a spy trained by Shinra. Maybe he figured that the fighting style of the stuffed moogle would not show hints of Shinra-type training, such as a human Shinra spy might. Maybe.

It is possible that Cait Sith already existed. Reeve was using him for other purposes. Then Shinra forced him to use Cait as a spy to infiltrate the party. And since Reeve knows Cait best, he is put in charge. idk. I totally made that up.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I envision Reeve sitting at home with a gaggle of automated dolls performing menial tasks at his convenience.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Dacon I was going to thank that but then a frigging database error got up in my face!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom