Digimon Adventure 15th Anniversary Blu-ray Box

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Up for pre-order!

• 54 chapters of anime remastered in HD.
  • Opening and endings without credit and promotional trailers.
  • Special Drama CD (exclusive of the first run).
  • Digipack special box.
  • Original illustration 3-side art box
  • Original illustration digistakck case x 2 types
  • Picture label
  • Special booklet*
    *Special booklet is reedited version of 2 booklets ("Memories of your DIGIMON ADVENTURE" "natsuyasumi bouken nisshi") that were included in 2007 Dec. released DVD-BOX "digimon chronicle box 04 digimon adventure".

AmiAmi (http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=MED-DVD2-25501) has it at 15% off for 50,300JPY+shipping, however they require payment when you place the order.

Amazon JP (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00M7RJ8AC) it's 54,800JPY+shipping, but don't have to pay until the March 2015 release date.

For my order on Amazon JP:

Product: ¥ 54,800
Shipping and handling: ¥ 1,100
Order total: ¥ 55,900

Also coming to blu-ray, the 8 Digimon movies!
The set will contain all movies on four discs, as well as a bonus disc containing additional content. All the films will be outputted at 1080p with support for 5.1 Dolby TrueHD sound. The bonus disc itself will contain information about the prominent directors of the film, namely Mamoru Hosoda who directed the first three Digimon films (and went on to direct The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children). The disc also contains other special content that hasn’t been revealed yet. It will also be available in 3D. Additional content with the box set includes the soundtrack to Digimon: Our War Game!
  • Digimon Adventure (Film)- 1999
  • Digimon Adventure: Our War Game! – 2000
  • Digimon Adventure 02: Digimon Hurricane Touchdown - Supreme Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals - 2000
  • Digimon Adventure 02: Diablomon Strikes Back – 2001
  • Digimon Tamers: The Adventurers’ Battle – 2001
  • Digimon Tamers: Runaway Digimon Express – 2002
  • Digimon Frontier: Revival of the Ancient Digimon – 2002
  • Digimon Savers: Ultimate Power! Activate Burst Mode!! – 2006

I've only seen the movie set up on Amazon Japan, http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00M1LHOSC

Subtotal of items: ¥ 25,000
Shipping and handling charges: ¥ 1,100

Order total: ¥ 26,100

Last edited:

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
My initial reaction was "Hell to the yeah!" Then I saw the price.

Am I doing my math wrong or is that over US$500?

About $550. Too rich for my blood.

Indeed.... DVDs and even more-so, Blu-rays in Japan are very expensive (so says the person who plunked down $300+ for Advent Pieces). I've yet to find the exact reasoning why (once heard it was due to people preferring rentals to not take up limited housing space).... but a typical blu-ray is $60, with DVDs being only $20 less.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, I'm going to have to wait for a U.S. version (which there probably won't be). This is cool as shit, though.

I wonder how they manage to make a profit on stuff like this over there?

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Also I'm not paying any money for anything involving Digimon Adventure 02.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
I know it sounds like a lot (and it is!) but considering the aftermarket prices for the 1st season box set go for $700-2,000 depending on the condition... (and the 02, tamers, and frontier boxes all go for a lot more than the original selling price)...and that's going to have lower video quality..... makes sense to spend half the inflated price on a blu-ray remaster.

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
I occasionally play the trading card video game on the playstation. never gets old!

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
after minor research, possible reasons for dvds/blurays being expensive might be to recoup the production costs (especially for things that are shown late at night that might not get corporate sponsors like primetime shows) plus paying royalties and making profits so they can make the next series, and with anime there's a limited consumer base who will be buying them (though when you have discs with 2 episodes for like 4-5000 yen a pop that's limiting it even more) so unlike bigger things like a new ghibli film you get higher prices. to go on with anime, the foreign version has less costs overall because they aren't recouping the production expenses. distribution and translation/dubbing and buying the rights, and that's it. so you can buy a whole series for less than it costs you to get one disc in japan. plus videos aren't the sole means for them to make money back in japan (merchandising and the like).

in the past things were a lot more expensive (like 8000-12000 yen for a single tape) so it was something you rented rather than bought. it wasn't until patlabor came out for 4800 yen which was half of what a tape costs back then that it changed the market to one where people actually bought things. films are probably better price-wise since they had ticket sales to make a profit as well as home media and related goods.

the rental market is also bigger in japan than in say the us (some numbers i saw had america's rental market being half its sales market, whereas in japan the figures were even/slightly higher on the rental side). there's lots of rental stores and some bigger chains offer rentals as well so it's not like you have to travel very far, and there's a lot less space in japan which would make a big dvd collection a problem. the culture just seems more prone to renting than buying. sales of dvd recorders/recording stuff and keeping it on tape/dvd might be more common with japanese viewer as well? (so they might not buy the dvd when it's out) that's probably changed over the last few years. but with niche stuff like anime, people can just tape it when it's on tv and burn it to a dvd. there just seems to be a different culture around buying things like this.

sometimes they try to tempt people by adding something to the video release (fixing animation or removing censorship on violence or nudity) but that's the kind of stuff that only really appeals to the core customers. like jojo's bizarre adventure, the more gory parts were blacked out in the tv broadcast which looked a bit silly at times (though dramatic in others), but you still get the story and enjoyment from it. there's no need to spend like 7000 yen on one disc just to see some gore. depending on your preferences 7000 yen might be a fair price to see some animated titties, but that's probably not a wide market. (those shows probably aren't going for a wider market than that, though)

older series have other costs even if they've already made back their initial expenses (remastering the video and audio, possibly getting the rights from a previous owner).

most anime (and possibly other media but i can't remember now) is made using a 'committee' structure made up a bunch of different partners. so even if one party is like 'let's sell the whole series for 10000 yen' the others might not agree to that. plus if you went from 6000 yen per 2-episode disc to 1000 yen, you would need to sell 6 times as much to make the same profits. which anime isn't really that big enough of a market to manage. even making it half the price doesn't guarantee you double the sales. plus if you have to give more people a cut of the profits, then that might push the prices up to make extra.

big hollywood films tend to be relatively cheap (compared to other japanese dvds, they are still more expensive than in other countries), but they get the income from all the other avenues that hollywood films get but native japanese media won't get. a blockbuster might sell millions in japan and in the us and all over the world, but japan's biggest film of the year will not sell nearly as much outside of japan. but tv boxsets (foreign and japanese) are usually a lot more expensive. making them cheaper won't necessarily get the costs back, since it's still a limited audience who will be buying them. you could make cheaper discs with more episodes and if it's something beloved or popular more people might buy them, but the latest late night anime show isn't going to get that. so you get things prices at what the company things will cover its costs and make a profit given how much they expect to sell. japanese films also tend to be more expensive than an american film.

and japanese companies can be slow to change things up and just stick with the same old methods they have used in the past (which you can see with game companies). you get trapped in the traditions of the past and it's hard and risky to change. and there is customer base (anime otaku) who will buy stuff at the prices they set. these are the kind of people who will buy hundreds of copies of the same cd (which they then sell off or just throw away) just to get a ticket that lets them shake the hand of their favourite member of an idol group. maybe if they expand the genres of anime they made to appeal to more people it might open up the market, but as it is a lot of it looks like a very limited set of the same old genres.

plus things just cost different amounts in different countries. i remember dvds and games coming out cheaper in the us than they did in england (because what was being sold for $40 was sold for £40 which would translate to costing more competitively). so it might just be a fundamental difference in the markets.

japan also has a 'resale price maintenance' law which might affect costs? it's too late for me to be reading about law right now.

and that's what i learnt about business today.

there's been stuff i wanted to buy, but i end up giving up on the idea when i see the prices.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Thanks for all that info.

I'm genuinely shocked by all this. I thought anime was fucking huge in Japan? Or is there just so much of it that none of it commands a large enough market share the way anime have in western countries, trickling over one or two at a time as they did for so many years?

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
I'd possibly spend 550 on that if i could see actual images of what it looks like 8U

I hope that unlike the Gundam Wing remaster, the preview videos (or screenshots) aren't presented in crappy video quality. I never did find a single source that had anything better than the Amazon JP listing for it (....which seems to be gone, but the PV is available here, and I think the same quality was on the official Gundam Wing site, though I couldn't view it due to it being restricted to Japan IPs only and the proxy allowed but 5sec of video before endless buffering). What's the point of an HD remaster on blu-ray, if all the promos are in sub-standard quality, as if you're streaming on a crap connection?

Hopefully though, they don't introduce too much film grain. That was one of my two issues (the second being terribly boring menus) with the GW set, the film grain noise is too apparent on the skin/faces of the characters. Uploaded an example of that here, but it's best to download it to see it as it doesn't really appear on the web-player.

Last edited:

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
So a few days ago, there was a promotional commercial. I've yet to find it online... but the official twitter posted what I think are screencaps from it (albeit not in full resolution...).

https://twitter.com/Digi_advntr15th/status/516066407033753600

EHUARZW.png

4oprnFx.png

7ewXXOd.png

I think they're better than the DVDs... though I don't have any direct DVD screencaps to compare.

Last edited:
Top Bottom