Digimon

Lex

Administrator
Tell me some of you watched this when you were younger, I used to love it. Really quite surprised there's not a thread on here. Or is this one of those weird things everyone's supposed to hate so it just goes unmentioned forever and ever?

Anyway, the movie is all over YouTube, so I'm going to watch it in bed <3.

I don't think I've ever seen any of it beyond the second season. I remember the third season being all meta and weird when I was younger and it was just too much for my fragile little mind to handle.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
You know the funny thing is I actually watched more of the third season than the first two. It was actually when I was in middle school that I watched all of season one.

I watched the first season with great interest. The series was a huge refresher after watching so much Pokémon, which had pretty much nothing when it came to character development and overarching stories. Digimon was the drama with-monsters-on-the-side that I had been yearning for.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I watched the first season with great interest. The series was a huge refresher after watching so much Pokémon, which had pretty much nothing when it came to character development and overarching stories. Digimon was the drama with-monsters-on-the-side that I had been yearning for.

Oh, yeah that was the problem with Pokémon when it came to the anime which is it uses the same character over again without any real character development in the long run.

In Digimon, everything is refreshed with each new season. Although the last season I heard was really lacking and had no major female characters at all. I one day hope they have a female main protagonist character who leads the team but since this is a boy based franchise I think it won't happen.

Splintered

unsavory tart
This was my shit, I was obsessed. Not even going to pretend it doesn't have a wonderful place in my heart.

Not too long ago, I downloaded all the seasons and showed them to my niece and nephew. As far as kid shows go I still think it's up there, it's imaginative, and energetic, good villains and well developed characters, you know, for a 90s kid show.

The only season I opted not to show them is season 3, because holy crap that shit is dark for little kids. Apparently it's written by the same guy who wrote Serial Experiments Lain, and that explains a lot. It's actually my other favorite season just because it's older and I'm embarrassed to say I was pretty sure I was in highschool when it aired. But you know, young at heart...

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
God, I love this show. One of my all-time favorites.

First season was probably the best, but the third was really strong too. The second was the weakest of the three, but still great stuff.

I'm not kidding when I say I was obsessed with this show once upon a time. I watched the movie every Monday for probably a year (was my little ritual), and I still occasionally do. Which is funny considering that what we know of as "Digimon: The Movie" was like three separate Digimon movies spliced together into a single storyline. The voice actors actually had to be paid the same as voice actors for original works because it was altered so heavily.

Never did watch the fourth because college and work got in the way too much, and then I heard that it sucked and so I just never bothered going back. The fifth and six series I didn't bother with because I never watched the fourth. :monster:

But, goddamn, I do love me some "Digimon." People used to call it the poor man's Pokémon, and if that's the case, I'm proud to be poor.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I watched most of all of the first three seasons and then recently revisited Adventure and Tamers a while back. I also seen half of Data Squad/Savers. IMO Tamers is the strongest season of the bunch (it got really dark in parts) and probably has some of the strongest dubbing.

If anyone who likes watching internet reviews, JesuOtaku (part of ThatGuyWithTheGlasses) has been doing a Digimon retrospective (she's finished both Adventure and Adventure 02 and part of Tamers) that is pretty cool to watch: http://www.jesuotaku.com/retrospective/

Splintered

unsavory tart
I love her retrospective, I wish she would finish the damned thing, and it did good to explain to me why 02 became a clusterfuck. Granted, a clusterfuck that I greatly enjoyed back in the day, but still a clusterfuck.

I don't think back in the day I ever raged so hard at an ending as I did with 02's. I wanted to punch a hole in my television screen. Who the fuck was drunk enough to write that crap? Who was drunk enough to approve it? I still have rage issues about it years later. wat

Season 4 was okay, I watched a good amount and it had the adventure, kids developing, interesting villains, strong plot thing going for it. But I felt it was kind of missing something the earlier seasons had.

Season 5, I got four episodes in before wanting to punch myself in the face. I don't know if it's because I got older and the nostalgia magic isn't there. But no I think it's just shit. Weirdly, besides season 1, my niece and nephew liked the fifth season the best. No accounting for taste really. I wanted to try season 6 and did a bit, but it was the "not the same feeling" thing happening again.

It wasn't as bad as Savers but... rather than a group of characters saving the world, it's more like one kid as a messiah figure or whatever.

Yeah, that was embarrassingly nerdy of me, but I really was pretty much in love with the show back then, I still am, and it's hard to shake off old shows like that.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Season 5, I got four episodes in before wanting to punch myself in the face. I don't know if it's because I got older and the nostalgia magic isn't there. But no I think it's just shit. Weirdly, besides season 1, my niece and nephew liked the fifth season the best. No accounting for taste really. I wanted to try season 6 and did a bit, but it was the "not the same feeling" thing happening again.

It wasn't as bad as Savers but... rather than a group of characters saving the world, it's more like one kid as a messiah figure or whatever.

Yeah, that was embarrassingly nerdy of me, but I really was pretty much in love with the show back then, I still am, and it's hard to shake off old shows like that.

Huh, I personally quite enjoyed Savers (I saw about 2/3 of the subbed before I got side tracked by something else). The animation kinda reminded me of the Zatch Bell! anime. I also liked how all the team members were able to reach Mega (and beyond) levels (of what I know about Frontier, the main two Red/Blue Oni characters outlapping the rest of team power wise was a bit of problem if I recall correctly).

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I love this series. Metal WarGreymon is always and will be my favourite strongest final form Digimon in this series, none can replace him. <3

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Also anyone who loves digimon definitely needs to see Summer Wars, it is essentially Mamoru Hosoda redoing the Our War Game movie better.

Lex

Administrator
I really need to watch the rest of Digimon, expecially the third season. I did watch 1 and 2 again not too long ago but I just vaguely remember 3 being weird when I was younger so I never got into it. Oddly I associate Digimon with other strange cartoons that aired on the old Fox Kids channel on Sky (hasn't existed for about 10 years now). They also aired the Jackie Chan cartoons which I also unashamadely enjoyed. Something about collecting Talismans or something :monster:

One of the problems I remember having with Digimon is that they evolve differently as the seasons go on. You've got the Digivice and Talisman things in 1, then some other sideways stuff in 2, then I have no idea what happens in 3 but is 3 not like AU or something?

Splintered

unsavory tart
One of the problems I remember having with Digimon is that they evolve differently as the seasons go on. You've got the Digivice and Talisman things in 1, then some other sideways stuff in 2, then I have no idea what happens in 3 but is 3 not like AU or something?
Besides season 1 and 2, they all are completely different universes. Like the FF sequels. 3 has modding through cards but digivolving isn't different except near end game (the entire show is more scifi while the rest are adventure fantasy), but by season 4 you got kids turning into digimon. Season 5 goes back to basics, from what I know of. Season 6 resembles more pokemon, but with plot (one character and two tagalongs, a lot of digimon).
Huh, I personally quite enjoyed Savers (I saw about 2/3 of the subbed before I got side tracked by something else). The animation kinda reminded me of the Zatch Bell! anime. I also liked how all the team members were able to reach Mega (and beyond) levels (of what I know about Frontier, the main two Red/Blue Oni characters outlapping the rest of team power wise was a bit of problem if I recall correctly).
I think it was the main character that made me back away quickly. Granted I didn't like 2's protagonist much better, but nothing in Savers seemed interesting to me, also the main character punches digimon I didn't understand.

) levels (of what I know about Frontier, the main two Red/Blue Oni characters outlapping the rest of team power wise was a bit of problem if I recall correctly
One of the things that always irritated me about the series is that they'll build a team, and then completely OP two or three characters. what's the fucking point assholes.

Jackie Chan
oh my god, right in the childhoods

tumblr_lq047xyZNN1qixjvmo1_500.jpg

i can still hear it in his voice :,)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I really need to watch the rest of Digimon, expecially the third season. I did watch 1 and 2 again not too long ago but I just vaguely remember 3 being weird when I was younger so I never got into it. Oddly I associate Digimon with other strange cartoons that aired on the old Fox Kids channel on Sky (hasn't existed for about 10 years now). They also aired the Jackie Chan cartoons which I also unashamadely enjoyed. Something about collecting Talismans or something :monster:

Tamers started the tradition of doing a new universe each season. Tamers does have a few connections to the two Adventure seasons though, they are actual shows within the Tamers universe (the digimon card and video games also exist within the Tamers universe). Chiaki J. Konaka was tasked with integrating the card game, video games and pocket devices into the show and did it really cleverly.

Digivolving in Tamers is initially powered by card swiping (Digi-modifying) but it follows the same level system as Adventure (Rookie-Champion/Adult-Ultimate/Perfect-Mega/Ultimate)

Tamers also has one other Adventure connection involving Ryo Akiyama from the story canon Wonderswan games but it is kinda confusing and I recommend watching JesuOtaku's story recap of Tamers for an explanation.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think it was the main character that made me back away quickly. Granted I didn't like 2's protagonist much better, but nothing in Savers seemed interesting to me, also the main character punches digimon I didn't understand.

The main character was a street fighter (a very Japanese specific character trope) who punched Digimon to get digivolving "energy", it makes as much sense as Spyral energy does in Gurren Lagann.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I thought the Tamers-Adventure connection with Ryo was awesome because of how it makes Adventure more than "just a show" in the Tamers universe. Granted, it's some heady meta shit, but it's cool.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I liked Digimon far more than Pokemon because Digimon actually had a plot and character development, instead of applying the same template to each episode.

Anyway, I stopped watching it because College happened and I wasn't at home when it aired :( I kinda miss it.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I fucking loved Digimon growing up, I religiously watched it every Saturday morning when it aired on ABC Family (I may be wrong about the network it was on). The first series is always going to be one of my all time favorite anime and I rented the first movie about 20 times (they didn't sell it anywhere here so I couldn't buy it :( ). I absolutely loathe series 2 to the point were I pretend it doesn't exist. Tamers was a lot better than a lot people gave it credit, it was more mature, darker and definitely not meant for the younger audiences it was being targeted at. I watched a bit of Frontier but I thought it was crap and I didn't bother with any other series after that one.

Did anyone play Digimon World on the PS1? I have very fond memories of that game.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Never watched the TV show (fuck that shit), but at one point my friend did get his hands on a rom or a copy of the PS1 game, which was awesome, :awesome:. It was basically Tamagotchi with a monster that would change appearance and traits and whatnot depending on how you raised it. It's got a bit of a weird concept of evolution and shit though, seeing how you could grow it into a T-rex or a little alien in a UFO, :wacky:. But still.

Lex

Administrator
I don't think I ever played Digimon world, but one of the reasons I ended up watching the movie again last night was because I was on a ROM site beforehand combatting boredom and Digimon world was one of the most popular titles on there. I remember the game (I think a few of my friends had it) and they all enjoyed it, so it might be worth trying out on an emulator or something.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
Digimon, in one word; superb, that is for the first season. It's Everything that a good anime should be and heaps better than Pokemon (not that I hate it though, it's still awesome).

Speaking of JesuOtaku, I actually laughed when
she cried about the whole Taiora thing during the Nostalgia Critic review of the Digimon movie.
:awesome:

But good God, just imagine how kick-ass a Pokemon vs. Digimon movie would be like? Though I HIGHLY doubt Nintendo and Toei would be willing to work together on such an immense project.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Tell me some of you watched this when you were younger, I used to love it. Really quite surprised there's not a thread on here. Or is this one of those weird things everyone's supposed to hate so it just goes unmentioned forever and ever?

Anyway, the movie is all over YouTube, so I'm going to watch it in bed <3.

I don't think I've ever seen any of it beyond the second season. I remember the third season being all meta and weird when I was younger and it was just too much for my fragile little mind to handle.

So I am now watching the entire thing.... thanks Lex, thanks a lot :monster:

Also I did have season 1 and 2 which were the best seasons. God I've missed this show, think I'll get it again.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the recent Digimon movie (Digimon Savers) meant to be sort of a crossover with the other Digimon series? If that's true, then I'm dying to see it.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the recent Digimon movie (Digimon Savers) meant to be sort of a crossover with the other Digimon series? If that's true, then I'm dying to see it.

Do you mean the most recent series? Because Because the Digimon Savers movie (Digimon Savers: Ultimate Power! Activate Burst Mode!!) did not have any cross over in it. The most recent series Digimon: Xros Wars/Fusion, had the protagonists of the previous series briefly appear in guest roles in the last couple episodes of its series.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
Do you mean the most recent series? Because Because the Digimon Savers movie (Digimon Savers: Ultimate Power! Activate Burst Mode!!) did not have any cross over in it. The most recent series Digimon: Xros Wars/Fusion, had the protagonists of the previous series briefly appear in guest roles in the last couple episodes of its series.

Yes, I think that was it. What's that all about them appearing in Fusion? Is THAT meant to be canon?

Top Bottom