• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Dissidia

Vossler

Voss da boss bitch
AKA
Nightmare,race driver,steel tormenter
I was looking into getting FF Dissidia (sp?) Can I get some opinions on how good the game is and if it's worth getting?
Sorry if this isn't in the right place. :ego:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Prepare for disappointment, the game doesn't do the concept justice and the story feels like it was farted out in 20 minutes during a corporate meeting staffed entirely by soulless robots. Avoid.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I enjoyed it. Story mode was stupid, but the actual fighting is really fun. It's best to play in short bursts, like if you're on a bus to somewhere. The game is shallow but super addicting, and because there are RPG elements it also kinda rewards you for playing more.

It's not worth full price. But it's worth 20 bucks at Gamestop now, 18 if you get a used copy. I feel that this is a fair buy. Depending on you like fighting games like these.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Well, its a fighting game. If you can overlook the stories in Soul Calibur, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat, you can overlook this one. The gameplay is fun with a lot of stuff to master. If you're a completionist though its gonna start to get tedious for you as there is a LOT to go through to get everything.

But its cheaper now, and learning each of the characters while spotting FF references can be fun,

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm usually pretty meh with fighting games but I really did enjoy Dissidia. I think my apathy to most fighting games may have predisposed me to liking it more though. I wouldn't compare it to games like Tekken or Soul Calibur (maybe storywise). I feel it's more like Super Smash Bros meets Kingdom Hearts with some RPG elements. Altogether, I did not really enjoy the story mode at all - the plot was less than meh and I hated the chess board thing. I preferred the Duel Coluesseum myself. CARDS AND TREASURE FUN :reptar:

It's a great way to kill time, but I realize it's not really everyone's cup of tea. While I personally really love the game and think it's probably one of the best handheld games out there right now, I think I can objectively say it's at the very least a solid game.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Gameplay is ok. By no means a serious fighter. Get it for fanservice and moderate entertainment value.

Mitch Connor

Its All Good Enough
AKA
Blazing782
Well, its a fighting game. If you can overlook the stories in Soul Calibur, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat, you can overlook this one. The gameplay is fun with a lot of stuff to master. If you're a completionist though its gonna start to get tedious for you as there is a LOT to go through to get everything.

But its cheaper now, and learning each of the characters while spotting FF references can be fun,

True, but I wouldn't really compare it to a legit fighting fame like MK, Sould Calibur, or Tekken, because Dissidia isn't that kind of fighting game. Its really not intricate at all. The gameplay literally boils down to just hitting the button at the right time and distance, with HP and equipment mixed in. it gets really old really quick IMO

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I didn't compare it to those really. I only compared the quality of stories. That fact that it's not a hardcore fighter (not that Soul Calibur is either) doesn't mean it isn't fighter. And fighters, as a rule, have lousy stories.

Last edited:

Mitch Connor

Its All Good Enough
AKA
Blazing782
Right, most fighters usually have at least a good fighting system to counterbalance the shitty story, but with Dissidia, the story sucked ass and IMO the battle system doesn't do enough to carry it, really. Its too shallow of a fighting system. For the first 20 hours, yes its pretty fun with all the visuals and stuff. But now every time I pick up dissidia after not playing for a while and play a quick match, I remember instantly why i put it down in the first place. Its just really kinda boring now...

But over-all: solid PSP game and worth about the 20 bucks its going for now.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I didn't compare it to those really. I only compared the quality of stories. That fact that it's not a hardcore fighter (not that Soul Calibur is either) doesn't mean it isn't fighter. And fighters, as a rule, have lousy stories.

There is no rule, Guilty Gear had a great story.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
95% of fighters having crappy stories qualify them for the phrase "as a rule," imo.

Your opinion is terrible.

The KOF games had pretty good stories too if you bothered to delve into them.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Look at my terrible opinion this way then, how many review sites/magazines/whatever consider a fighter's story as a facet of the game's score/enjoyment? None that I can think of.

Likewise, none of the reviews of Dissidia that I saw included its story as part of the review. So whether its a hardcore fighter or not, its enough of one to be reviewed like one. So, as my original point was, I don't see why a bad story would be cause to not play it.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Dissidia's main storyline problem is its constrained up the ass, due to the fact it's on the PSP. You just can't get around that.

What it does give you (if you make it past the fact its been condensed worst than canned milk), is pretty interesting and amusing. The references to the past series, FF1, etc. They did their best to include lots of nods to the original series, along with the background of Chaos, Cosmos, and FF1. All of these issues hardly detracts from the actual meat of the game itself, which is the gameplay and customization. The shit's fun to play with your friends and creating unique artifacts is some of the best shit you can do to personalize your game. There's so much you can do with the characters once you go head on into the RPG mechanics.

If you're just grinding against the CPU then yeah. The game's going to get boring as all hell. The fun will disappear. But isn't the point of ANY fighter game, to play with your friends? The CPU is no substitute for actual, skilled, human opponents.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Likewise, none of the reviews of Dissidia that I saw included its story as part of the review. So whether its a hardcore fighter or not, its enough of one to be reviewed like one. So, as my original point was, I don't see why a bad story would be cause to not play it.

A majority of the content in the game is in the story mode, which was advertised as one of the game's biggest draws, and many reviewers did consider the story.

It's a fighter, and may have been reviewed as such, but it's by no means "hardcore".

Top Bottom