Do we have a translation for the text at the beginning of this video anywhere?

Interesting how the beta video reads "εra" instead of "εуλ".

For what it's worth, here are transcriptions.

PP07FFE[0][0109].jpg

[ μ ] – εra 1959/9/23
神羅カンパニー 新世代エネルギー魔晄を発見

[ μ ] – εra 1968/1/9
発電施設魔晄炉建設 以後、各地に普及

PP07FFE[0][0229].jpg

[ μ ] – εra 1976/6/24
世界最大の魔晄都市ミッドガルを建設
本社ビルを構える

[ ν ] – εra 0001/2/30
神羅反対組織アバランチとの対立が深刻化

PP07FFE[0][0349].jpg

[ ν ] – εra 0007/10/5
アバランチのリーダー暗殺

[ ν ] – εra 0007/11/3
神羅カンパニーと
アバランチが一触即発の状態に

PP07FFE[0][0453].jpg

[ ν ] – εra 0007 12/9

With a select few exceptions I followed the transcriptions found on this JP ff7 twitter bot.
- Tweet #1
- Tweet #2

Tangent:
The year numbering in FF7, even without the odd use of Greek letters, strikes me as one of those weird peripheral aspects of canon that almost feel like it doesn't belong because the characters themselves almost never mention a year by its number. The date system is there in the background and sometimes announced on the screen, but the actual dialogue sticks to speaking in relative time (X years/months/days ago).

The primary exception to this is Before Crisis - Special Episode Legend where both the specific years and the Greek letters are used by the in-game individuals. It doesn't just happen once, but a whopping ten times!

FF710AURE_p159_crop.jpg

Legend: …​
Do you remember what happened back in [ μ ] - εγλ 1997?​

Makes you wonder how this line would have been read out in an audio version. "Do you remember what happened in mu dash epsilon gamma lambda 1997?" :wacky: Or did he simply say "muegela 1997"?

The other exception, as far as mentioning a specific year number in script, is Special Episode Reno when the titular character has to enter the year when mako was discovered.

Reno: I’m running out of time,​
so here goes nothing.​
Lesse, Mako was discovered…​
Choice:​
>1. 19590923​
2. 19680109​
3. 19760624​

Somebody tell me if there are more cases like this. And no, I don't count the moment where Sephiroth binge reads in the manor because the year is only represented by an X.

Sephiroth​
“X Year, X Month, X Day.​
Jenova confirmed to be an Ancient…”​

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Interesting stuff. What's the project you are into Ody?
I need to write a plot recap for an FF7 book I'm working on.
story.jpg
I thought it would be a fun deep-cut reference to use that text from the demo, as well as the text from the intro to the Tobal No.1 demo
I didn't actually need to do any of this, the whole thing was just a set-up for the image on the next page, which is this
why_is_there_no_cid_yet_vii_by_obstinatemelon_d2ymryv-fullview.jpg
Yes, I wrote a 1,200 word plot summary as a set-up for a joke. I'm kind of an idiot, you see.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's not an exaggeration to say that the info from this International Version bonus disc were the first hints of the Compilation. The seed for the history lore and expanded universe of FFVII lies in these fixed dates and information that set up Before Crisis and Crisis Core. The writers clearly had a framework in mind and an overarching story to tell. Sorta like with how they did with FFX.

Last edited:
Top Bottom