• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Do we know how old Elena is?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
AFAIK she isnt given a canon age, but is there any indication given anywhere?

Fangu

Great Old One
Hmm, I don't even know how long before VII BC happens... I always deliberately avoided the whole age thing and just wrote her like very early twenties, considering she's all teenagy pigtails in BC.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Yeah thats what I figured. hmmm. Not wanting to start shit but i read a thing on tumblr about her being 'uncomfortably' young (compared to Tseng) but i thought we figured out Tseng was mid 30s in the og so I dont get it. I mean its a bit creepy with Aerith because he knew her as a child (even tho shes 22 in og) but if you didnt know someone as a kid a 15 year age gap is no big deal to me. hmmmm

0h, I know which post you mean. Personally once people have reached the age of consent I don't think there's anything inherently creepy in a big age gap; it depends on the individuals. Plenty of very happy and long-lasting partnerships have been made between people with an age gap way bigger than ten years. Only the other day I was listening to an elderly ex-ballet dancer (like, 88 years old) talking on the radio about her design career and how she'd met her husband when she was around 50 and he was 30, and there there were nearly forty years later, still together, still happy.

Anyway, to get back on topic, Elena is just about to graduate school at the end of BC, which I guess would make her in the 17-19 age range. BC ends roughly six weeks or so before FFVII begins. I could check my files but CBA. I'd say Tseng's at most 13 years older than her.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Yeah, plus she likes him (she really likes him) so its not even like shes being pressured or anything. Plus I was 14/15 when i first liked Tseng so :monster:

Cabaret

Donator
In addition, young 20 something women often do develop crushes on 30-40 yr old men because they are more mature than their 20 something counterparts and represent more of a father figure - creepy as it is, it's often the way women are wired. And let's face it,Tseng is one heck of a father figure! I think it's very plausible that a 22 yr old would fancy a 35/37 yr old, especially if they tend not to show their age in their appearance too much.

I have a problem with the Turks being recruited at early 20's age because on the one hand they would question less so would be more willing to do less than moral shit, fine. But on the other hand you rarely see anyone in that kind of job at that age. They need a few years to get the emotional, mental and even physical maturity that would be needed for such a job.... I imagine. But I tend to flip back and forth on the pros and cons here.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'd place Tseng at being at least 15 years older than Elena. If she is about 17-ish when she graduates and 18 or so when she joins the Turks, then we have Tseng who must be at least ten years older than Aerith (and that's a conservative estimate seeing as he was responsible for Aerith and Ifalna when Aerith was 7) -- so, yeah, I'm going to say at least 15 years.

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
I think the age gap is part of what makes it interesting, to be honest. The more, the better. :wacky:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
She could be younger. Cloud left his hometown to work at 14, and so did all the boys, according to Tifa at the well.

On Tseng being responsible for Aerith, he could easily just be the spokesperson because he was, say ten, and therefore she'd relate to him more that Veld.

I think the age gap is part of what makes it interesting, to be honest. The more, the better. :wacky:
Age gaps won't stop FFVII, especially the Turks who are eternally young (except for Veld) :monster:. Look also at the age gap between Vincent and Shelke; that didn't stop the game from hinting at...things. ;)

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
She could be younger. Cloud left his hometown to work at 14, and so did all the boys, according to Tifa at the well.

On Tseng being responsible for Aerith, he could easily just be the spokesperson because he was, say ten, and therefore she'd relate to him more that Veld.

I think it was said somewhere that Cissnei was the youngest person ever recruited to the Turks at 14 iirc - cant find a link atm.

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
LA is correct that Elena is recruited direct from the Shinra Academy. She is also a barmaid at Wall Market at the time. This could mean different things to different people. Being from the UK, I would automatically assume her to be 18 (legal drinking age). This would in turn suggest 21 for an American fan. However, all that said, Marlene was left in charge of Seventh Heaven when she was 4 years old so rules clearly don't apply.

I would agree with the late teens estimate.

On another note, my research has placed Tseng around the 30 years old mark. His special episode mission in BC takes place somewhere between 1995 and 1997 when he has not been with the Turks long. I would disagree to an extent with Tres that he has been watching Aerith for 15 years. While she escaped in 1992, it is never explicitly stated that the Turks monitored her the whole time or that it was only Tseng who did so. There is plenty of wiggle room for head canon. In addition, Cissnei was recruited very young from the orphanage (ie the youngest-ever recruit) which would have been 14-16 so Tres' point may very well be completely accurate/

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
S and G said:
I would disagree to an extent with Tres that he has been watching Aerith for 15 years. While she escaped in 1992, it is never explicitly stated that the Turks monitored her the whole time or that it was only Tseng who did so.

He was responsible for her hefore the escape even. Recall that he blames himself for Ifalna's death and that it apparently made him a more moral person. He's been with the Turks at least since Aerith was 7.

Reactions: Ite

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
He was responsible for her hefore the escape even. Recall that he blames himself for Ifalna's death and that it apparently made him a more moral person. He's been with the Turks at least since Aerith was 7.

Are you referring to this line in Case of Shinra?

Once he had tried to control Aerith's mother by force and lost her as a consequence.

I found this to be a bit ambiguous. Did Pixel and Hito clarify the translation as 'biological mother'? The context could also refer to Elmyra who he had once taken into custody but who somehow comes to be in Kalm a short time later. However, the change of principals, wouldn't make much sense. I'm not suggesting you are wrong, merely seeking clarity.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'll check the Japanese later tonight after work, but I'm confident the text would have specified "adoptive mother" if it meant Elmyra. Besides, it's referring to the past and explaining why he took a nonaggressive approach to how he handled Aerith all those years.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I always assumed Elena was 18, because of the just graduated thing and that those who attend the military academy do so from 14 to 18 (so it's a choice between joining the military or doing military school, sort of like the difference between signing up with the army after high school or going to West Point for 4 years). I assumed Tseng was in his early thirties, so 14 year age gap.

To me, the issue here isn't so much that she likes him (he's attractive, skilled, powerful, witty) as whether or not he encourages the behavior. Not only because of the age difference (I'm sure some 18 year olds are mature, and in any case she's an adult), but because she's his subordinate. He's director of the department, and she's a rookie recruit, doing anything with her would be a major breach of acceptable professional conduct, and ill advised.

Also, is it stated anywhere in canon how old Cissnei was in Crisis Core and how old she was when she joined the Turks? 14 seems like it would be a normal age to recruit people, since the army takes people young. Then again, Veld seems to take people who all ready have experience he needs, where as the army takes anyone and trains them. Since Turks have had to acquire these skills/somehow come to Veld's attention before they join, it makes sense for some might be older.

Fangu

Great Old One
But we don't know that Elena was taken straight from graduation to the Turks... do we? (I have no idea...) I always assumed Tseng just took her out of his 'rookie backlog', but I might be remembering this wrong.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It had to be pretty much straight after graduation. Elena was still a schoolgirl only two months before FFVII began.

I'll check the Japanese later tonight after work, but I'm confident the text would have specified "adoptive mother" if it meant Elmyra. Besides, it's referring to the past and explaining why he took a nonaggressive approach to how he handled Aerith all those years.

I checked into this, by the way, and it's unmistakably talking about Ifalna. It says "Aerith's real mother" (実母).

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
My headcanon was that she served in the army for a while prior to the Turks. It was a military school, so maybe work placement?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
To me, the issue here isn't so much that she likes him (he's attractive, skilled, powerful, witty) as whether or not he encourages the behavior. Not only because of the age difference (I'm sure some 18 year olds are mature, and in any case she's an adult), but because she's his subordinate. He's director of the department, and she's a rookie recruit, doing anything with her would be a major breach of acceptable professional conduct, and ill advised.

I think Tseng began his career wanting to do everything by the book, but by the time of the OG he no longer gives a shit. As for professional conduct - that ship sailed when he developed his crush on Aerith and let that influence his decisions - he was told to bring her in, all the nicey pie 'persuasion' was him trying to delay the inevitable.

I feel like by the time he asks Elena to dinner hes thinking 'I've fucked up completely with one woman - this might be my only chance at happiness' Plus, I dont know how Turks are supposed to maintain relationships with civilians given the demands of the job. Is any job worth being lonely and miserable for?

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
It had to be pretty much straight after graduation. Elena was still a schoolgirl only two months before FFVII began.

Well when are graduations usually held? It's December at the beginning of FFVII and she was working at a bar during the fall. Maybe she graduated at the end of the spring semester and then started working in the bar. Maybe she wore her school girl uniform while doing so because she got tips from guys into that sort of thing. She chose to make the school uniform her work uniform and keep her hair in pig tails because the school girl looked worked for her, and if any customer got too handsy she knew she could break their face.

In Re-Tseng's age, my head canon has him as 10 years older than Aerith, so he was 17 when she escaped at age 7. Which makes Tseng 32.

I think with age difference the "creepy" factor depends on circumstances. A 32 year old seeking out an 18 year old because they are 18 in order to prey on their inexperience is predatory and wrong. A 32 year old who happens to meet someone who happens to be 18, and likes them despite the age gap is different. An substantial age gap, especially when the younger partner is very young, can certainly be a sign of a predatory relationship, but I don't think that's always the case as long as the younger partner is old enough to consent.

Elena is an adult by our world's standards, and possibly more-so by her world's standards. Considering you can join the army at 14 in this world, 18 is probably considered well into adulthood.

@ Octo

I suppose part of the reason boss/employee relationships seem particularly problematic to me is that my profession demands ethics training and one of the points emphasized is do not get into personal relationships with clients or colleagues. (Basically, the big rules, do not reveal confidential information, do not act against your employer's interests, do not mix professional relationships with personal relationships).

The reason an employee/boss could be problematic in general is the boss is in a position to take advantage of the employee. Of course, that's not an issue here since Tseng isn't going to sexually harass her or demand she exchange sexual favors for advancement or continued employment. I also think Tseng could compartmentalize enough to treat her professionally, so he shouldn't favor her or let his feelings for her cloud his judgement.

However, it's still a complicated, questionably ethical relationship because as her superior it's Tseng's job to guide her, and discipline her as a Turk. Having personal feelings could cloud or compromise Elena's judgement which puts her as risk. Essentially, it's Tseng's job to take care of Elena and he should consider whether dating her is in her best interests.

Not that I dislike the relationship. I ship it. I just think that Tseng has difficulty separating his personal feelings from his professional responsibilities.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
To be fair, Ill advised crushes are practically a Turk trademark. Rude/Tifa, Rude/Chelsea, Tseng /Aerith, arguably Zack/Cissnei...

Lord Kesharq

Late night user(coffee!)
AKA
Lostlord, Lewisito
To be fair, Ill advised crushes are practically a Turk trademark. Rude/Tifa, Rude/Chelsea, Tseng /Aerith, arguably Zack/Cissnei...

This! :monster:

(he has a good point there, pretty much all the Turks are in or have Ill advised crushes lol)

Pixel

The Pixie King
Are you referring to this line in Case of Shinra?

I found this to be a bit ambiguous. Did Pixel and Hito clarify the translation as 'biological mother'? The context could also refer to Elmyra who he had once taken into custody but who somehow comes to be in Kalm a short time later. However, the change of principals, wouldn't make much sense. I'm not suggesting you are wrong, merely seeking clarity.

I translated that as "Previously, they had tried to control Aerith’s biological mother with force, but unfortunately this led to her death. This new approach was clearly a consequence of this earlier failure. Tseng's guilt made him reflect heavily on his own actions."

Rather than Tseng himself controling her, I guess it refers to the past actions of the company. Tseng doesnt want to repeat their mistakes

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I need to check the text of that whole paragraph to verify whether it's talking about Tseng as party to what happened with Ifalna. When I looked at it the other night, I was only checking for the "biological mother" thing.

Top Bottom