Do we really...

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Need that "What are you listening to" topic in General Chat? I didn't want to just close it and all, but all it is, is just people posting titles and shit.

It's kinda ending up like the chit-chat thread except with music.

I dunno, it just seems kinda spammy and I know we said we weren't having a spam section and all.

So yeah :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I dunno, what do the People themselves think? Moved to Feedback / Suggestions, fgj :monster:.

And before people ask, no I slash we aren't considering a spam section.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
It's hardly a spam thread, and actually quite valid. Usually such threads go into a music section, but we don't have one. We post songs we're currently listening to, and it's up to the reader to listen to posted titles. I've actually discovered some great bands via "What are you listening to" threads, on different forums.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
personally I think it should be like ACF's, where users wererequired to review what they were listening to.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
[quote author=V link=topic=327.msg7916#msg7916 date=1231885393]
personally I think it should be like ACF's, where users were required to review what they were listening to.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was gonna suggest the same.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'd much prefer them actually discussing/reviewing what they're listening to rather than it just be a listing of whatever happens to be in your ears while you post :monster:

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Definitely needs more content in the posts. How about having to post the lyrics? Or as suggested, give a review (say a line or two at least)? Music discussion is valid, but it's also one awesome and lame way to boost your postcount.

Of course that all depends on what you're aiming for, hence the whole awesome AND lame. xD

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Well, here's the thing...what are you going for? As a staff, as a site? Is your main concen getting as many posts as possible? Is it getting the longest posts as possible? Somewhere in between? Will you sacrifice activity for quality (of a nature) or vice versa?

If there's one thing I've learned of over ten years on the net (yes, that is a sad, sad admission) is that every forum works differently. What you need to do is decide what you want to work for you site/forum. And once you do, you stick by it, even if it's not in best interest later, or it's inconvenient to you at some people. You want to mainatin crediblity to create and retain a large memeberbase (if that's the aim of this).

So frankly anti-tl:dr, decide what you want and stick with it, IMO.

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer
I don't like the idea of having to post lyrics in it... Some of the music I listen to I just like the sound of, not the meaning, really...

So I'm for regular discussion?

I was surprised to find such a simple topic on this forum.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I've actually discovered some great bands via "What are you listening to" threads, on different forums.
This.

And given the fact its next to impossible for it to happen unless the ACF discussion rule is implemented in the topic, I'd much rather see it happening thar.

Plus it's moar interesting anyhoo.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
[quote author=Cookie Monster link=topic=327.msg7915#msg7915 date=1231884987]
It's hardly a spam thread, and actually quite valid. Usually such threads go into a music section, but we don't have one. We post songs we're currently listening to, and it's up to the reader to listen to posted titles. I've actually discovered some great bands via "What are you listening to" threads, on different forums.
[/quote]

i always make a point of looking up aarons bands if i havent listened to them before. the guys got a great taste in music akin to soul reapers.

I love the thread , if you need us to not spam in it we can easily start reviewing the song were heaing.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'd personally say to just encourage people to poast more than just the title / artist, but also either a mini-review or responses to other people's poasts.

Just to clarify, what kind of a review exactly? I mean I'm going to assume people aren't going to post songs that they hate because why would they be listening to it? :monster: Do you just want

Song Title/Who Sings it/x/5 stars or what we like about it? I mean I don't think it should be too in depth or people won't want to post in it.

I know I joined a forum back in July that's incredibly lax on spam, basically there is not a "no spam" rule. If you wanna reply to someone with just an emote or a youtube video you can. It doesn't have many members but it's one of the most busy forums I've been to. I'm not saying you guys should be like that but if things get too strict, people won't want to post. I know if I have to post an essay review of a song I'm listening to, that'd discourage me from posting in there. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I believe in forums encouraging posting because isn't that what forums are for?

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
By mini-review, just a brief description of what genre the music is and your reaction to it is probably fine. I've been posting stuff more or less comparable to what I expected out of members when I modded Midgar at ACF.

I do agree that worrying too much about spam is pretty pointless, though.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
As I said it all depends on what type of forum they want to create here.Posts veruses content argument. I personally perfer something with a bit of meat to it, but it's not a necessity to me, nor to a forum's success It just has to do with what vision you have for this place. As a decent medium, what Aaron said is a really good recommendation. Post not only the artist/title, but also a quick sentence or two (or more if you want to) detailing why you lked it or not.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Yeah, thats all that it really requires really. Makes it a bit more interesting to read and gives you an indication if you yourself will actually like the band or not if you're after new music.

I remember back when I first joined ACF I took it a bit too far in regards to this ule and actually ended up writing far more than was really necessary, which is the other extreme and a bit too cumbersome for what should be a less demanding thread. Just a few sentences detailing your opinion should be enough to compromise.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
As long as a post isn't pointless, a post for the sake of poasting, or just not funnay, it's unwanted, otherwise I don't really care, :monster:.

Edit: Also, if a topic's topic is something about being the last person to post to get half a second of fame, I'll ban whoever's posted in it and ban whoever's started it twice. This goes for all 'tarded spam games, fyi.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
That post be seen to be implying that there are some spam games that aren't retarded, which is false prophecy :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=327.msg8590#msg8590 date=1232052432]
As long as a post isn't pointless, a post for the sake of poasting, or just not funnay, it's unwanted, otherwise I don't really care, :monster:.
[/quote]Don't you mean "As long as a post IS pointless etc."? Otherwise it doesn't make sense :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
'The Person With the Last Post Wins' was the worst idea for a topic ever. Like a 'tard magnet.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
[quote author=Axel link=topic=327.msg8858#msg8858 date=1232112514]
I like this no spam games idea , it was by far the stupidest thing ever.
[/quote]+1

[quote author=Ashes link=topic=327.msg8865#msg8865 date=1232118250]
'The Person With the Last Post Wins' was the worst idea for a topic ever. Like a 'tard magnet.
[/quote]
How does this even work? Did the topic get locked at some point?

Top Bottom