• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Do you think that Cloud is closet bisexual?

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HoYay/FinalFantasy

We know that Cloud and Sephiorth are the biggest yaoi bait in this franchise. However, some deleted dialogue from the games could shed more light on Cloud's budding sexuality. Apparently in some original dialogue he mentioned how he was so obsessed with Sephiroth he dreamed about him every night and it was even to the point his mother gave up on on him. It does probably hint that Cloud was supposed to have than an admiration for Sephiorth, but as an actual crush. That really does put a lot of subtext of their relationship into text.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I mean there are subtle clues...

:heave:

dt4ts6K.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Well, saying there are subtle 'clues' means it was the deliberate intention of the makers that players can 'solve' the mystery of Cloud's sexuality if they - the players - are clever enough. I really don't think SE intended Cloud to be bisexual. However, it's true that some of the scenes/information we're given can be seen as ambiguous. They are not open to interpretation in a canon way, but certainly open when it comes to headcanons and fanon.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I mean, it's up to the player to decide how miserable Cloud is in there. And really, those choices seem to be a choice between stoic endurance and open discomfort. I actually kind of dislike how lampshaded that whole scene is. It's not exactly nice to think about anyone being that sexually aggressive towards anyone else.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Well, saying there are subtle 'clues' means it was the deliberate intention of the makers that players can 'solve' the mystery of Cloud's sexuality if they - the players - are clever enough. I really don't think SE intended Cloud to be bisexual. However, it's true that some of the scenes/information we're given can be seen as ambiguous. They are not open to interpretation in a canon way, but certainly open when it comes to headcanons and fanon.

Yeah, I just think Cloud being bisexual would add another layer to him and his relationship with Sephiroth.

Is that a theme of the game? I mean, Cloud could only be true to himself by being bisexual if he actually was bisexual, which, as we've shown, is not established or even clearly hinted at.

I have to be honest with you. Personally, I am repulsed by any suggestion of a romantic and/or sexual relationship between Cloud and Sephiroth. It seems contrary to the whole spirit of FFVII. However, I respect that other people take something completely different away from their relationship.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I mean he didn't put much resistance to cross dressing, you can go on a date with Barrett, also this:

don-corneo-hits-on-cloud.jpg

But joking aside it's like the love triangle with Tifa or Aeries/Aerith, it's down to player interpredation. I don't see any Cloud/Sept going off, other than some hero worship when Cloud was young.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
If anything, Sephiroth is the bisexual one. He's the one who's obsessed with Cloud and is leading Cloud and Co. around everywhere. And then uses his obsession with Cloud to come back in ACC. Cloud would never be concerned with going after Sephiroth (to stop/kill him) if Sephiroth hadn't been interested in Cloud. Only Sephiroth is kinda more concerned with killing off the Planet then anything else.

Cloud, once he gets his memories back, is interested in Tifa and Tifa only. And she's portrayed as being interested in him. To the point the game gives them a rather blatent "fade to black" sex scene.

That said, most shipping seems to be based on any mutual interaction that exists in canon regardless of what the context is. And the context for Cloud and Sephiroths interactions always centers around them hating each other guts. Cloud doesn't want the world he lives in to be destroyed and Sephiroth wants to destroy the world. They have very few meaningful interactions with each other in canon outside of that context.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Could he be? Sure.

But.

Fanfic shipping tends to take every strong relationship as romance. Personally I feel this kind of ends up diminishing the value of non romantic relationships. I'm not fond of Clack because it sets me wondering 'Would Zack have left Cloud to rot in Nibelheim if they hadn't been in love.'

Sometimes murderous hate is just murderous hate. Sometimes respect is just respect, and admiration isn't necessarily romantic. An ice pick to the face isn't necessarily a gesture of affection.

I think the dynamic almost always works better as a non romantic bond, be it L/Light, Sherlock/Watson, Reno/Rude, Squall/Seifer and so on.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Is that a theme of the game? I mean, Cloud could only be true to himself by being bisexual if he actually was bisexual, which, as we've shown, is not established or even clearly hinted at.

I have to be honest with you. Personally, I am repulsed by any suggestion of a romantic and/or sexual relationship between Cloud and Sephiroth. It seems contrary to the whole spirit of FFVII. However, I respect that other people take something completely different away from their relationship.

In the canon, Cloud is rightfully hateful of Sephiroth. But in the past, he was a huge fan and some of the cut dialogue imply much more deeper feelings. I think I have just come to interpret that Cloud is very closeted about himself, due to having image problems.

Top Bottom