• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Do you think they will ever finish the Compilation?

Z

Zealkin

I just don't think square is capable of anything except listing random stuff that they haven't done.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Not likely; they have trouble enough as it is to finish games and not go bankrupt due to a terribly ineffective development strategy (or w/e). And besides, iirc they never officially indicated how much parts there would be in the compilation. Seeing that nothing has been done with it in terms of new games or even announcements since ACC (iirc), I'm quite confident they've just abandoned the project.

The FFVII PC re-release/port is probably more of a side-project in the line of their continuous re-releases of older FF games (most notably 1/2), instead of part of the compilation.

But then who knows, crack theory, they might just make some tweaks in the story of the PC re-release to tie in with something new, :monster:.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I dunno maybe its me harking back to my teacher training days but at the moment SE just seem to be like 'the dog ate my homework Miss!' :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Well yeah I guess there are some loose ends regarding those two, but does anyone really give that much of a shit about them? Enough to warrant another game? They might do another novel I guess :/

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Just make a short OVA like Last Order in which Genesis is thinking about his plans while flying off with Weiss and gets so absorbed in his thoughts that ends up flying through Shera's propelers and he and Weiss get sliced into pieces. The End. :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Genesis and Weiss disagree.

No.

Regardless of the cliffhanger, it's fairly obvious that they never *really* planned for anything more. Even the opening movie calls it the "final chapter".

Honestly, just don't unlock the secret ending and the whole deal is done. :awesome:

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Well yeah I guess there are some loose ends regarding those two, but does anyone really give that much of a shit about them? Enough to warrant another game? They might do another novel I guess :/
Whatever they do will undoubtedly introduce new characters, whose stories will then have to be resolved in yet more games/novels. It will never end.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Genesis and Weiss disagree.

Let me just take a moment to weigh up the legitimacy of a vague Gackt promotion masquerading as a secret ending against the numerous press releases announcing what games and tie-ins that they had planned for the Compilation.

Hang on. This could take a moment.

The Compilation is done. Whatever material they had left for their great 10 year plan has been watered down and incorporated into other sources or scrapped entirely, whilst resources were probably reallocated to make way for the staggering success of the Fabula Nova Crystallis.

Any potential it might have had was ruthlessly murdered by Advent Children anyway. Why do people even want the Compilation to continue? SE proved with each instalment how unfit they are to continue using the source material or treat it with the same respect that they did with the original game.

Last edited:

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
Let me just take a moment to weigh up the legitimacy of a vague Gackt promotion masquerading as a secret ending against the numerous press releases announcing what games and tie-ins that they had planned for the Compilation.

Hang on. This could take a moment.

The Compilation is done. Whatever material they had left for their great 10 year plan has been watered down and incorporated into other sources or scrapped entirely, whilst resources were probably reallocated to make way for the staggering success of the Fabula Nova Crystallis.

Any potential it might have had was ruthlessly murdered by Advent Children anyway. Why do people even want the Compilation to continue? SE proved with each instalment how unfit they are to continue using the source material or treat it with the same respect that they did with the original game.

I just think they should finish what they started dude.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I just think they should finish what they started dude.

The point is, that there weren't any plans to make more in the first place. The secret ending might have been there as a sort of backdoor in case they wanna make more after all.

But what they set out to make are the titles we got. For all intents and purposes, the compilation is finished.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

Kinda off subject, but I really have to wonder though, why do people seriously fixate on AC as being the great offender/murderer/etc of FFVII's legacy or something?

Out of all the Compilation and its installments... do people really think AC was that bad in terms of its existence? Is it the hype? The fact its FFVII's direct sequel? The fact it just was basically a fanservice OVA? Comparatively speaking, I just don't get it. Maybe it's my taste for anime and shonen that makes me not really care and like it for what it is but...It just seems strange.

There's DoC, Before Crisis, Last Order... I can easily make a list of how each of those were way more bizarre and jarring continuation (due to being actual games of their respective generations) in terms of the original than a 90 minute CGI OVA that was done as a means of pleasing die-hard fans who just had the audacity to want to see FFVII's memorable cast again after almost 10 years of just random cameos. It was never meant to be some groundbreaking cinematic masterpiece of unparalleled artistry or beauty. It's just meant to be fun. Just like FFVII was meant to be fun. At least AC had the decency not to give any continuity contortions that makes a fan wonder if someone hijacked a goddamn Tardis and started just....unraveling the seams of temporal continuity in the universe.

When comparing it to other members of its genre, most of the other shonen OVA shit that we get from Japan and other companies, is it really that painful? If anyone had never seen AC before, and were going by the critical fans' testimonials of it, they'd probably think it was something farted out by Uwe Boll during a bender or something.

This whole diatribe was just something I've wondered about lately, that I thought I'd throw out there, to make this thread more interesting than stating the obvious "no, the Compilation's deader than Zack's bullet riddled corpse outside of Midgar." :monster:

Because sadly (or happily to some people XD ) it is. Square-Enix quite honestly fucking bit off more than it's tiny-greedy lil' jaw could chew and considering it can't even fucking handle its current ongoing projects without fucking them up sidways, they'd never try to go backwards and finish something that's not high priority. The profits and hype generated by FFVII has been cashed-in, and there would simply be too much effort and risk to warrant trying to go back and generate more. The time is simply...done. The time they could've done it conceivably has passed.

Right now, you might as well ask what the fuck happened with the Ivalice Alliance too, while you're at it. Square-Enix is too busy trying to stay fucking alive and relevant (without riding the coattails of Eidos) to worry about trying to once again bring back FFVII.

That's honestly probably for the best.

Arth

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Arthquake
Call me what you want,but since Yoichi Wada said that works for the Compilation are intended until 2017,I will wait until that point before I could say ´´The Compilation is finished.´´... but please don´t come with Yoichi derpa jokes,can´t laugh about them anymore...

Ghost X

@Il Dona: I think people view AC as a sequel to FFVII, just like they would with any other sequel and its respective franchise. If the sequel isn't on par with the previous title, especially when the previous title is pretty awesome, people ain't gonna be happy. They couldn't care less if it was a different style that was all right compared to other films of that style.

What if, for example, The Dark Knight Rises was a particularly well-made interpretive dance performance? I think people would be pretty disappointed :P.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well I don't think the distance between a JRPG and a CGI OVA is quite as wide as a comic book movie's sequel suddenly turning into an interpretive dance performance, but fair enough. :monster:

I guess AC being the first out the gate in terms of the Compilation and it being the direct sequel of the OG magnifies its shortcomings. But I guess I'm just used to sequels never quite being the same. In terms of other "sequels" (hell even in the Compilation) I'm actually quite happy it wasn't something that was like DC...which technically was the true video game sequel of FFVII.

I mean, DC being that game sequel, brings more of a sigh of disappointment and head tilt, than AC. DC for being FFVII's video game sequel should've been much more. Not to mention more fucking...consistent and in step with continuity. It was fun for its time, but its vastly wasted potential. Not to mention weak compared to what other games were at the time. I was more forgiving of it when I thought that there would be some sort of lead up to something much better in terms of quality, but the fact that THAT game is the last installment in sequence to the Compilation leaves a rancid taste in my mouth.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I think that people view AC as the great downfall of VII because it came first. DoC being lackluster probably influenced the view that AC is VII's downfall too. :trainermon:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
When comparing it to other members of its genre, most of the other shonen OVA shit that we get from Japan and other companies, is it really that painful?

Honestly, yeah.

Also don't we have like three topics asking the exact same question?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
AC is the worst because it was first. The Compilation did not continue FFVII's amazing story, it buried it under a pile of too-cool-for-school watered-down garbage. AC was the first shovel-full of it, not the worst by far, but that first smear, and for that I do not forgive it.

Mitch Connor

Its All Good Enough
AKA
Blazing782
this thread makes me sad...

Even though you are all making perfect sense, the compilation never really felt finished. I mean really, DoC is going to be the last view of the FF7 world that we get!?) I kept holding on to the smallest iota of hope that they weren't just half-assing this thing(LOL.....I know), and didn't just tack on that retarded DoC secret ending without any intention of doing a thing about it. But as the years passed, it became obvious SE is just too incompetent.

I 100% agree with Mako, in that i actually didn't mind DoC at first, but in hindsight, knowing that this is how the story ends, really just pisses me off. As if it hadn't been said enough by now, fuck you Square Enix, FFvs13 will be the last thing i ever buy from you (simply b/c I own a ps3 and I might as well use it). Im over them, I'm over waiting for a new FF, Im over waiting for KH3, Im just over you SE.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Man, you know what's horrible about the sequels? (today)

They all centre around Midgar -- the only place that has a known aftermath from the OG.

People complain that DoC had no tension because you knew that the Planet would survive, but also that Midgar was going to remain at least above ground. I agree. DoC made a good move starting out in Kalm -- we don't know what happens to Kalm 500 years from now, for all we know it could get wiped out! Unfortunately, this doesn't look a thing like Kalm (except for the gingerbread fascia, which is also in Nibelheim and any small mid-European town) so there was never any real tension for me.

If we had a whole sequel set in Junon, all bets are off. The place could have been blown to hell without any retcon at all! Spend the manpower rendering the towns as-we-know-them (CC excelled at this) and then the stakes can go as high as you want, excluding Planet-ending disaster. But continent-smashing, character-dying, town-exploding fun should have been DoC's main jam. Instead, it chickened out, retconned an Ultimate-Super-Saian-Secret-Final-Weapon and a Super-Underground-Midgar-Midgar and threw in a threat to the whole Planet and did absolutely nothing because the setting, problem, and characters were guaranteed not to change anything.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I think finishing the compilation should be Square Enix's top priority. I think it's more important than a remake. Complete compilation first, remake last.

Top Bottom