Do You Think They Will Explain The Reason For Remake's Final Battle?

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
After the Harbinger was destroyed and Sephiroth appeared, why didn't he just drag Cloud to the Edge of Creation right away? Why did he feel the need to fight the party? Do you think they will explain that, or just handwave it?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Who knows, haha.
I mean the current understanding is that he needed the party to kill the whispers, which was the purpose of the fight, right? There were clearly still some around even after Harbinger's destruction. Why he couldn't kill the whispers himself when he could apparently absorb them is beyond me, though, lol.

Reactions: Ite

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Who knows, haha.
I mean the current understanding is that he needed the party to kill the whispers, which was the purpose of the fight, right? There were clearly still some around even after Harbinger's destruction. Why he couldn't kill the whispers himself when he could apparently absorb them is beyond me, though, lol.

This is the only sense I’ve been able to make of it as well but I think we both know that we’re putting a hundred times more thought into this than they did.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
let sephiroth have his blofeld moment!

fr tho this is the same game that has this guy prancing around in a children's playground in broad daylight, he can be a lil silly sometimes!

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
https://game8.co/games/Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake/archives/286914
Nomura: At one point Naoki Hamaguchi (Co-director) came to me in a strange way and said he wanted to talk. He said “I want to have a fight with Sephiroth in Midgar,” but because Sephiroth's first true appearance in the original is in a different location I thought players might not be too happy. Apparently he had prepared things to convince me but I just said “Sure” and went with it (laughs).

So there's a Powerpoint floating around somewhere with a superb explanation. However Mr. Respect-The-Original did not need convincing to know a Sephiroth battle on top of Jenova AND Harbinger was the key to ensuring a delicate balance between original and new elements.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Future titles might not directly address your question. However, we may be able to infer a few things from Remake's script.

I don't think Sephiroth needed the party specifically to destroy the Whispers after Harbinger's defeat. Instead, I think he continued to fight them so that he may test their strength. Consider these lines:

Chapter 2
Sephiroth: “You are too weak to save anyone."

Chapter 8
Sephiroth: “Oh, Cloud. There's still so much to be done.”

Chapter 13
Sephiroth: “You have failed again, I see. But through suffering, you will grow strong.”

Chapter 18
Sephiroth: “Cloud, lend me your strength. Let us defy destiny… together.”

By absorbing the Whispers, Sephiroth is effectively absorbing the concept of "destiny". He then battles the party and, after being overwhelmed by them at least once, pulls Cloud away to offer an alliance. It would appear as though the test was passed. Whatever Sephiroth is planning, he apparently needs Cloud in top form.

I'd say that from Remake's final battle, Sephiroth recognizes that Cloud's will has grown. It's possibly the strongest in the world, strong enough to defy destiny itself.

Last edited:

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
After the Harbinger was destroyed and Sephiroth appeared, why didn't he just drag Cloud to the Edge of Creation right away? Why did he feel the need to fight the party? Do you think they will explain that, or just handwave it?
They made the entire thing up as they went along. I doubt it.

I'm not sure how they are going to top fighting at the "edge of creation" in the next one? 😂

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
I've been seeing people speculating that Sephiroth is going to be using the whispers that he absorbed going forward in Rebirth. I have a different interpretation of the ending of Remake and it also explains why we fought Sephiroth at the end.

Cloud and party fight the Harbinger/ Viridi / Croceo / Rubrum. Afterwords we find ourselves in what appears to be the lifestream

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.17.00 PM.png

We have weaken them to the point that Sephiroth absorbs them in that CGI scene. This most of us agree upon.

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.19.12 PM.png

Great! Sephiroth has absorbed the whispers so he'll be using their powers in Rebirth, right?

Well then, why did we fight him?

I think Sephiroth that comes down to fight us right afterwords is a lifestream manifestation of himself that has now embodied the whispers inside of himself. His intention is for us to fight him and win and fully eradicate the whispers from the lifestream.

As we defeat this manifestation of Sephiroth, whispers fly out of him. He throws them at the party....

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.31.41 PM.png

We see slow motion shots of Red XIII flipping and swiping and Tifa punching etc. As they attack each whispers they disappear because they are almost completely at the point of being erased from their existence within the lifestream right before Cloud lands the final blow....

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.33.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.34.26 PM.png

As Cloud comes down with his sword overhead, the moment Cloud hits Sephiroth whispers fly out of him.

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.37.05 PM.png

This is because the Sephiroth that we were fighting this whole time was a lifestream manifestation of himself that had embodied the last of the whispers. It's similar to how when we finally beat Jenova in the fight earlier, they transform back into what it really was all along which was a Jenova clone manifestation as Jenova.

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.40.04 PM.png

So after Cloud lands this hit and all the whispers shoot out of this Seph manifestation, they all get sucked into a single point and explode into a white light. This is the final eradication of them inside the lifestream which is exactly what Sephiroth wanted the whole time and the whole point of us fighting him.

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.42.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.43.44 PM.png

Cloud gets instantly transported to the edge of creation where time has completely stopped. So from the party watching Cloud land this final hit, they don't wait for Cloud to be done at the Edge of Creation because they don't experience any time go by. They most likely all find themselves at the outskirts of Midgar where Barret is like "I though you beat him?"

So switch over to Zack, the whisper Dome explodes in white light, this is correlating directly to us exploding the whispers within the lifestream. I believe it's implied that these explosion are basically happening at the same time relative to each other. Remember the edge of creation scene time has stopped as it's in the blink of an instance to anything else that is going on.

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 12.46.56 PM.png

Sephiroth just wanted the whispers gone from existence so he can defy Destiny, I don't think he need to use them, he just need them to be gone.

I'm sure the whispers will show up in some way in Rebirth as the devs have confirmed that, but we don't know exactly in what way that will be yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom