AKA
Tets
Michael Giacchino is doing the music for this

AoSOkay_zpsv84wmxce.gif

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, I'm thinking this may be where Marvel finally makes their misstep. It really shouldn't be (how hard should it be to get people interested in a movie with magic after the success of "The Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter" film series?), but both trailers have been a fuck fucking mess.

I can't tell if this is trying to be "The Matrix," "Inception," "The Prestige," "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" or all four at once. It's looking to be a harder sell than either "Guardians of the Galaxy" or "Ant-Man" were.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think that most people I know have been a fan of the fact that it is something of a weird mashup of The Matrix, Inception, & something else. What do you think makes it a harder sell?

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I think that most people I know have been a fan of the fact that it is something of a weird mashup of The Matrix, Inception, & something else.
I would be all for something like that. But I was hoping for a Doctor Strange movie.

X said:
What do you think makes it a harder sell?
In addition to the trailer failing to really give much indication of what the hell the movie's even supposed to be about, I can't but imagine the uninitiated noticing the similarities we've remarked upon and feeling that those kind of movies are played out. At any rate, a viewer's not going to come away from these trailers thinking "Sorcerer Supreme," "Master of the Mystic Arts" or anything else one would normally ascribe to a description of Doctor Strange -- or, for that matter, even feel compelled to make so much as a comparison to Harry Potter.

That, in my view, is a failure.

Even if Doctor Strange shouldn't be a harder sell than GotG or Ant-Man, he was always going to be tougher than, say, Iron Man or Captain America. Unlike GotG or Ant-Man's trailers, though, there's not really a pitch here that would draw in everyone.

I'm hoping it's an awesome movie, don't get me wrong. I don't want Marvel to drop the ball, and I love Doctor Strange. And since this is the studio that made me give a shit about Ant-Man, I Want to Believe™.

Just not feeling confident for this one based on what we've seen so far.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well I am, it looks deliciously eldritch and if it's got a Thing That Should Not Be, which is kinda likely seeing that it seems to deal with Dimensions Beyond the Human Consciousness, I'm gonna say ia ia, Cthulhu fhtagn.

er. Disregard me, I don't know comic books :monster:

(and I thought ant man was lame)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Coming from reading comics of the character for 25 years, the aesthetic choices here strike me as sterile and quite the opposite of deliciously eldritch. I'm used to the weirdness he encounters brimming with color and atmosphere, and palpable atmosphere when there isn't much color -- the transition here thus far feels like the jump from the original FFVII to Advent Children.

But yes, hopefully we shall get a Thing That Should Not Be. This thing is one of Strange's recurring adversaries, and is pretty much lifted right out of Lovecraft.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this, Tres as I know you've been really wanting the magical weirdness to be present, and so far, it's seemed to've been hidden away.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this, Tres as I know you've been really wanting the magical weirdness to be present, and so far, it's seemed to've been hidden away.
Definitely boosts my confidence in this, especially if they really do use Ditko's style as inspiration.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Looks like the next Infinity Stone to be revealed will be
the Time Stone -- set within the Eye of Agamotto of all things.

Have to admit, I was expecting this movie to go with the Soul Stone, but I guess the Time Stone isn't necessarily out of place here. In the comics, the Eye of Agamotto does offer Strange the ability to see past events -- though it also has a lot of other functions. We'll see to what effect it's used here, I guess.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Note: The internet is already full of spoilers for this, so make sure to keep away from news and such of it if you wish to remain un-spoilt.

Top Bottom