Doctor Strange

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Now I wonder if Bandersnatch Cambershaft could pull off a House-like character. I guess Sherlock came close enough. Equal amounts of nerdness and douchebaggery :monster:

Sherlock episodes are tl;dr though, more like movies than a series.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Just got back from the movie theater.

So the movie certainly is good time. You got Cumberbatch being the arrogant genius hero, a LOT of great CGI. Like a LOT. And Mikkelsen playing the villain. Even Ejiofor was essentially just the Operative again, but on the right side of the conflict. I dunno if it was able to become more then the sum of it's parts though, said parts were still great though.

Like most non-CA Marvel movies, it doesn't take itself too seriously.

midcredits scene was good, just putting us on notice that Strange will be in Thor Ragnarok.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Back. It was...fine?

To my ignorant foreigner ears, Cumberbatch does a good American accent.

I was expecting the magic to be more magicy than martial arty, but this works too.

On the whole, I kind of felt this was rushed, he's not like Spiderman where the origin goes without saying. Strange came into his power too quickly, unravelling the cosmic nature of the universe should take a bit more time than this. Also didn't want the Ancient One dead this quickly.

Laughed out loud when one of the mystical shield things was in New York, because of course it is. Climax didn't take place there, though, which was somewhat unexpected.

I'm griping more than I mean to, there was a lot of good material here, but I would have loved to see more depth and complication to his powers than we got, see him grow into his power more.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Saw it. Liked it. Typical Marvel stuff with a few trippy visuals. Björneborg Cloosterföok was good. Mads Mikkelsen felt a bit wasted like most Marvel villains.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Saw it, since it's out in Murrika now and quite enjoyed it.

I thought they did a good job with his turn from self-absorbed elitist into a hero, and showing why he takes up that mantle despite not being focused in that way. I was quite a big fan of all of the conflicting ideologies about how magic should or shouldn't be used being the primary source of the conflict.

I felt like his training was well-covered, especially given his prodigy, but it didn't really give a good sense of how LONG it took. If anything, I'd've liked to've known when it took place in the MCU between his accident and the incident, but all we know is that the Avengers Tower was in the skyline. I was a really big fan of him being intentionally humorous and making efforts to be (especially because of Wong who is also amazing). I think that it makes a contrast to how he and Stark are both very similar and very different, and I'm really hoping that there's an, "awesome facial hair bros" moment at some point in Phase 3.

Explaining spells like programs was an interesting analogy and one that makesnit fit solidly into the MCU combining the weird with the scientific and grounded. Also, having his first Avengers contact as Thor also gave it that little something extra to tie it in to the realms.

Quite loved the trippy visuals and confrontation with Dormammu, as well as how all the Mirror Dimension stuff was done and why that sort of thing worked how it did. Also a massive fan of the Cloak of Levitation as an awkward but helpful companion (some bits reminds me of Stark's robots' humor in the first Iron Man). Quite liked the Bleeker Street Mansion as a whole, though I'm really looking forward to it becoming his home and Wong taking up residence there with him.

And while the aftercredit was inevitable (especially for those who knew based on his name alone), I think that it did a good job of setting the stage for a sequel in a way that feels connected and personal.

X :neo:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
If anything, I'd've liked to've known when it took place in the MCU between his accident and the incident, but all we know is that the Avengers Tower was in the skyline.

He had awards dated 2016 apparently so seemingly he went through several surgeries, extensive physical therapy and magical training within...a few months?
Yeah, movie's stretching my suspension of disbelief here. :P

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
If anything, I'd've liked to've known when it took place in the MCU between his accident and the incident, but all we know is that the Avengers Tower was in the skyline.

He had awards dated 2016 apparently so seemingly he went through several surgeries, extensive physical therapy and magical training within...a few months?
Yeah, movie's stretching my suspension of disbelief here. :P

Actually, there IS a bit of a timeline now that I think back on it:
Right before his accident, Rhodey is one of the patients that he declines to treat, so we're post-Civil War before his accident. Additionally, Thor knows that Loki is alive again, which he DIDN'T last we saw him, so it's really just however long it is between Civil War and Ragnarök. I don't think that we really know how long it'll be until that comes out.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Right before his accident, Rhodey is one of the patients that he declines to treat, so we're post-Civil War before his accident.

That wasn't a reference to Rhodey though, just some dude we don't know.

The scene with Thor is taken straight from Ragnarok, like the Civil War teaser in Ant-Man.

So that's really like a flash-forward a year ahead from this movie I think.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Right before his accident, Rhodey is one of the patients that he declines to treat, so we're post-Civil War before his accident.

That wasn't a reference to Rhodey though, just some dude we don't know.

The scene with Thor is taken straight from Ragnarok, like the Civil War teaser in Ant-Man.

So that's really like a flash-forward a year ahead from this movie I think.

That was 100% most certainly a description of Rhodey & his injury:

"I've got a 35 year old Marine Colonel, crushed his lower spine in some kind of experimental armor."

War Machine got paralyzed from the waist down after Vision accidentally shorted out his power armor in Civil War, and his lower spine got crushed, which is why he needed the bionic legs to walk at the end of the film.

There's no way that wasn't our intentional timestamp for the film's opening.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

"I've got a 35 year old Marine Colonel, crushed his lower spine in some kind of experimental armor."

War Machine got paralyzed from the waist down after Vision accidentally shorted out his power armor in Civil War, and his lower spine got crushed, which is why he needed the bionic legs to walk at the end of the film.

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstud...ding_through_everything_will/d8mxv6y/#spoiler

Derrickson confirmed it's not. Also, Rhodey's not 35, he's gotta be at least ten, fifteen years older if Cheadle's age is anything to go by.
Also, he's Air Force.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstud...ding_through_everything_will/d8mxv6y/#spoiler

Derrickson confirmed it's not. Also, Rhodey's not 35, he's gotta be at least ten, fifteen years older if Cheadle's age is anything to go by.
Also, he's Air Force.

Well, colour me totally surprised! :O

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Woo I watched it too. Visually impressive, I'd say; lots of fractal and kaleidoscope wtfery in the CGI department. I'd really like to read / see a making of that goes into detail about how they managed to do that.

I do wonder about er, "power levels" and shit now though. I mean most of the Marvel characters are regular humans + some powers, but they're still just mortals and their powers have limits. There's even a god in there, Thor, but even he's limited in a lot of ways to just being kinda strong and having a hammer, relying on existing technology (?) to do shit like teleport across worlds.

This guy though, and these people, they aren't limited by that kinda shit. I mean Strange could just stop time, revert it until baby Thor is born, then kill his mum. or something. For example. Or open a portal to the mirror or whatever dimension when Thor tosses his hammer, exiling it. Or him. Or do something that undoes that entire reality or timeline. I really wonder if, and if so how, they're going to mix him into the rest of the Marvel omniverse.

also hands hands hands hands hands hands hands

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Funny thing is, it opens with Wong's line from the No Way Home trailer "Don't cast that spell"...except they used a different line in the actual movie :wacky:

Anyway, looks good. Looking forward to the inevitable Bruce Campbell cameo :P

Top Bottom