• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Doctor Who!!~

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm willing to try the audio dramas, though I confess to finding the concept odd. They seem way more popular in the UK and Japan than over here, so maybe it's a cultural thing.

Anyway, what is listening to them like? Just characters talking with sound effects?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Where do I find the audio dramas online? I'd have started listening to them ages ago if not for the fact that I have no idea where to find them :/

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
IAnyway, what is listening to them like? Just characters talking with sound effects?

Pretty much, yeah - it's like watching an episode with your eyes closed :monster: except the episodes are all ~3 hours long.

Where do I find the audio dramas online? I'd have started listening to them ages ago if not for the fact that I have no idea where to find them :/

http://www.bigfinish.com/hubs/v/doctor-who

There are like a billion different audio dramas, starring a whole variety of classic Doctors and companions, so if you want to start with Eight, here's his first one. Here's a full list of all the Eighth Doctor materials, which includes download links but I encourage you to pay for them - the audio dramas are only 3$ a pop.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah, but
I'd be more surprised if Eccleston did come back. What we'll probably get is an out-of-frame death/regeneration.

They could pull off Hurt ----> Eccleston the same way they pulled off McGann ----> Hurt. The Doctor starts to light up, falls off screen, then we just see a silhouette, or a reflection of an image.

I've thought
for a while now that The Doctor's emotional state at the time of regeneration influenced the subsequent form, and this would seem to confirm that, as well as explain it.

The Eighth became The War Doctor while wishing to become a warrior. Following the Time War, The War Doctor regenerates into the bitter and broken Ninth Doctor, who "learns to love again" thanks to Rose and becomes the more youthful and chipper Tenth. The Tenth, in turn, states "I don't want to go" before becoming the Eleventh, who he has more similarities to than the Ninth.

I actually really am a huge fan of this theory. I feel like there really is a lot of credence to it, as well. Such as, when you think about how Eleven basically imprinted upon the first person he met like a baby duck. Ten was lonely and distraught when he regenerated, it makes sense that the first thing his next incarnation would want to do is find a friend and never let them go.

All the feels, right there...

also, realized i forgot to post this:

done entirely by ear, so any fuckups are mine alone. did do up sheet music, if anyone wants it i can put up a link

That was really good! I would be interested in sheet music, please. :)

Official Version is out now:

You have no idea how much it tickles me that
Ten put the fez on.
:awesome:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
They could pull off Hurt ----> Eccleston the same way they pulled off McGann ----> Hurt. The Doctor starts to light up, falls off screen, then we just see a silhouette, or a reflection of an image.

That's more or less what I mean. They probably won't talk Eccleston into coming back and will have to go with Hurt going all glow worm, then we catch sight of a hand sticking out of a leather jacket or something along those lines.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Based on an interview I read with him once, I think he left to begin with because he felt that some people on the crew were being mistreated. Whether it's been long enough/anything has changed enough that he would change his mind, I don't know.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
• It's WAY heavier looking back at some quotes from earlier in 11's run now.
• The Eighth Doctor was trying to carry on just being The Doctor during the Time War before he regenerated.
• Eight Regenerated into The War Doctor.
• The Eighth Doctor’s audio companions are canon.
• The Doctor can potentially control his regenerations more than he could prior to Eight after taking the Elixer of Life made from the Sisterhood of Karn's Sacred Flame. This might also explain how he can regenerate more than 12 times, why all his post-eight regenerations are always using glowy energy when they occur, and may also come into play in Twelve's appearance - since they've mentioned that they're addressing why he'll look like Peter Capaldi's other Doctor Who characters).
• Becoming the War Doctor was a choice, and something that started his motivation through a full regeneration.
• The War Doctor looked young when he began, which suggests there are some utterly HELLISH things that happened to him during the time war.

1.) I don't think he can control every regeneration. I think that the elixir only affected this particular one. However, I do think that Moffat just gave us a work-around for breaking the regeneration limit. I also think that Moffat is setting up for a female Doctor. I was hoping that it would be an outside influence that made the change happen, and it appears that it will (hopefully) be. :)

2.) I don't know if the elixir is what caused the glowy regerations considering that both The Master and River had glowy regenerations as well. Unless, of course, the Sisterhood of Karn was involved in both The Master's resurrection as well as the experiments that the Silence performed on River. Which, you never know, maybe they were. :awesomonster:

3.) I seriously would like to have the the specifics of Time Lords aging explained. Do they age in their incarnations? Why did Eleven hop around for 200 years and not age?

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Rose Tyler said:
However, I do think that Moffat just gave us a work-around for breaking the regeneration limit.

Wasn't that already worked around by a) the Time Lords being out of the picture and b) The Doctor absorbing River's remaining regens?

Whatever the case, it will probably be brought up soon since Capaldi is the twelfth regeneration/thirteenth incarnation.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
The idea that the Time Lords simply being gone is an automatic work around is only speculation by people who have nothing to do with writing the show. Until I hear word from RTD, Moffat, or whomever takes over when Moffat leaves, I'll continue to believe that there is still a limit.

There has also never been any confirmation that River using her regeneration energy to save the Doctor was a work around, either. It easily could be, but just in case it isn't, we have the Sisterhood of Karn to fall back on. Basically, we just have our bases covered. :monster:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
The Time Lords gave the Master an extra regeneration cycle which pretty strongly implies the twelve regenerations limit was something they imposed rather than a biological limit of their species. However there's no telling how Moffat or whoever will handle it until it actually happens.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
True, true. I'd swear, though, that the twelve regenerations thing was a limit imposed by the Time Lords, and something that could be circumvented in The Master's case at their own choosing. Even an FAQ from the BBC said, "Now that his people are gone, who knows? Time Lords used to have 13 lives."

As for the thing with River, we know in The Master's case, he has attempted to absorb The Doctor's remaining regenerations before in order to extend his life, and The Valeyard wanted to do so as well. So, based on what's gone before, absorbing regenerations provides more incarnations.

As you said, the bases are well covered. I don't think the Sisterhood of Karn is necessary to explain this particular plot point, and if their intention was to assist Time Lords through "difficult regenerations," it stands to reason they probably weren't circumventing the intended cycle of 13 lifetimes, or the Time Lord leaders would have probably put a stop to it just because.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Is there a reason why Eccleston won't come back?
Based on an interview I read with him once, I think he left to begin with because he felt that some people on the crew were being mistreated. Whether it's been long enough/anything has changed enough that he would change his mind, I don't know.
Directly after it was announced he was leaving, both he and RTD stated he'd only signed on for one season in the first place. Behind the scenes gossip was that he thought it was a stupid little kiddy show and had only agreed to do it as a favour to RTD.

I do know however that he refused to attend the BFI's celebration of the fiftieth anniversary because he didn't want to speak to either the fans or his former colleagues. I've also heard that he formally accepted his role in Thor: The Dark World only after Moffat and the BBC failing to meet the salary/rider he wanted for appearing in the anniversary episode.

So, it's unlikely we'll learn the truth behind it.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
@Tenny: sheet music :>

So it looks like Rose is wearing a wedding ring

rcastle_WAHT_zps96426f3e.gif

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
The Time Lords gave the Master an extra regeneration cycle which pretty strongly implies the twelve regenerations limit was something they imposed rather than a biological limit of their species. However there's no telling how Moffat or whoever will handle it until it actually happens.

The Master has gone through THREE separate cycles of regenerations.

In fact, the very idea of limited regenerations was introduced in the serial where the Master got around it for the first time.

So, yes, he's going to get more.

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
My girlfriend is doing a Dr.Who themed burlesque show on the day of. I am so pissed I will miss it. Stupid army life

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Well that's just the thing,
it was imposed, yes. But what, exactly, do they have to go through to get the limit lifted? The Time Lords being gone, is that all that needed to happen? Or is there a process?

It doesn't really matter to me how they do it, I just noticed Moffat keeps throwing all these different scenarios at us that could all easily explain the Doctor getting more regenerations.
We'll all set to go and good in the 'hood, that's all that matters. :monster:

True, true. I'd swear, though, that the twelve regenerations thing was a limit imposed by the Time Lords, and something that could be circumvented in The Master's case at their own choosing. Even an FAQ from the BBC said, "Now that his people are gone, who knows? Time Lords used to have 13 lives."

As for the thing with River, we know in The Master's case, he has attempted to absorb The Doctor's remaining regenerations before in order to extend his life, and The Valeyard wanted to do so as well. So, based on what's gone before, absorbing regenerations provides more incarnations.

As you said, the bases are well covered. I don't think the Sisterhood of Karn is necessary to explain this particular plot point, and if their intention was to assist Time Lords through "difficult regenerations," it stands to reason they probably weren't circumventing the intended cycle of 13 lifetimes, or the Time Lord leaders would have probably put a stop to it just because.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Perhaps the Time Lord up and ups didn't realize what the Sisterhood was up to, going around and giving magical potions to help circumvent regeneration limits.

That, or, they put the Sisterhood up to it to help keep their ranks up during the war.

As for the absorbing regenerations thing, that could so easily be the case with what happened with River, and that could be how The Doctor gets more regenerations. It's just odd that none of the people in charge of the show have jumped on that. When Moffat was asked about getting past the limit, that could have been his answer, but it wasn't.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
So, listening to the McGann big finish dramas, since the companions from them got mentioned in the mini-sode.

I really do like that Moffat is trying to bring Quasi-canon material into continuity, like McGann's adventures and the Brig's Daughter from Downtime.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Great interview. Honestly, seeing the Eighth Doctor on-screen again for this minisode and seeing his regeneration was already treat enough for the 50th, so, after this, it's all just gravy to me.

Top Bottom