Does this bear any relevance to the remake?

hian

Purist
First, I have a quick question since you probably know the answer to this; What's the difference between a producer and a director?

The producer is the overseer and final authority over the project - he/she delegates work-tasks, assesses creative input/output, and gives good-to-go/no-goes in response to pitches, and serves as the primary go-between between the dev team and the executive producer and any/all company higher-ups/publishers.

The director on the other hand, directs the game - he/she takes the script and creates the cinematography, the visual representation of the scenes found within the script.
The script might say "Cloud high-jacks motorcycle and escapes Shinra", but it is the director that translates that into an actual scene within the game - whether Cloud does a triple back-flip unto the bike and drives it out a window unto the road below, or whether he calmly walks over to it, sits down and drives it down a staircase and out the front-door etc.
The directors decides the camera angles and everything else associated with the scenes.

Sometimes the director has a hands-on role to the extent that they even write the plot for the game, whilst the writer fleshes it out and turns it into an actual story.

And then, on to what you've mentioned here (I'm not quoting the entire thing to make this shorter lol). I agree that Sakaguchi, being the producer, for sure had a big impact on the way VII turned out and was created. However, he wasn't the man who thought of Aerith's death. Nomura was. Here's the source: http://thelifestream.net/weekly-famitsu-issue-no-1224-tetsuya-nomura-interview/

You're right. I got that wrong (don't let anyone say I can't admit a mistake eh).
Sakaguchi had already planned the death of a character in the game from the get-go though, as the game was creatively driven by the death of his mother, and was supposed to be a detective story centered around that theme - but the person who picked the character after the re-write was Nomura, which is natural, since he is the one who designed all the characters to begin with.
Aerith and Tifa did not exist in the original script by Sakaguchi.

But reading that interview, it comes across as, instead of this all being thought of by Sakaguchi, that it was more of a team effort and creation. Perhaps Sakaguchi did oversee everything and green-light everything, but not all the stuff in the game was thought of by him and just everyone else worked on it, if that's what you were implying.

I don't know how you came out with that idea from above. As I said - The game was produced by Sakaguchi and that makes him the primary creative censor of the game - it does not mean he came up with everything, not even by a long-shot. Sakaguchi has stated that his primary involvement creatively was in terms of the battle system, and not much else.

My point here is that, in terms of creating a game - Nojima, Kitase and Nomura might have bounced 10 or so ideas off of Sakaguchi for each 1 he decided they should go with for all we know, and if he hadn't been there to make that call, it's also quite possible that they would have had other ideas they would rather have gone with.

To exemplify -
The cross-dressing scene might have been entirely envisioned by Nojima or Kitase for instance, but it might have been envisioned as a direct result of having Sakaguchi ask for a scene to that effect (a comedic infiltration scene centered around Cloud dressing up etc.) and then working his best within the constraints of the task given to him.
Had he not received that instruction though, or had not Sakaguchi spent time overlooking the work, we might very well not have gotten that scene or something else entirely.

I'm not saying that happened in this case - but I am saying that this is how fundamentally influential the role of a closely participating producer has on a game's development, and when you put that into context of how much has changed with the other products in the compilation, and indeed in the series as a whole, after he stepped away, I think it's pretty obvious that most of these guys would have made a completely different FF7 if he had not been there when the game was first made - which is also why I'm pretty sure the remake will be radically different as well.

Nomura for instance radically changed his aesthetic in the very next title released only one and half year after VII - into an aesthetic that he has pretty much stuck with in almost ever product ever since, with the exception of Kingdom Hearts (for obvious reasons, it being a Disney hybrid product).
I really can't wrap my mind around the thought that he changed that much in less than 2 years into a new consistent style that he's pretty much stuck to ever since - rather than say, that the style he made for FF7 was specifically requested by people like Sakaguchi for that particular title, much like KH demanded a specific style uncharacteristic for Nomura as well.

You're very right that FF7 was a team effort - as is almost every game. However, every team effort usually has a team-leader, and the team-leader will almost always have a large and distinct role in shaping the direction and performance of his or her team.

Now, Sakaguchi is probably a much more level producer than say Hideo Kojima who meticulously micro-manages everything in his productions - but still, a producer is a producer.

I completely appreciate that you would feel the directors' influence on the game, and that the game ends up as a combination of creative processes which had gone through multiple feedback loops. That being said, for something like environment design, I wouldn't assume much micro-management: by the way given the size of the task I'm under the impression that a few details have eluded a reviewing process (example: inconsistencies between interior and exterior of the same building, like the Church).

Naturally, the environments would be designed by those who had that specific task. However, they too were working off of concepts.
Case in point, Midgar already existed on the concept stage in the first original script by Sakaguchi.
Furthermore, directives for style and tone would certainly be in the DD passed on to the designers.

Everything cannot be micro-managed, but it can be managed. It's very unlikely that any of the environments wouldn't be presented to the producer prior to implementation - how much of a care he took when looking at them, or how strict he was about the design phase however is uncertain, but probably quite low since any designer worth his or her salt would be striving to keep their designs consistent with one another based on the first scenes designed and deemed acceptable by the producer.

Last bit on environment design: the relative lack of color in AC is actually the result of post-processing technique (I guess it simply went through a desaturation pass), a bit like when a movie director applies color-grading to a footage. This step is done after modelling and rendering. I don't remember the details, but I would believe ACC to have made a better use of post-processing methods than AC did.

That's a moot point though, since they could very well have chosen a different post-processing technique, or used any number of filtering techniques to balance the color-levels to look more vibrant in post-production.
If AC has lower color saturation, that's a design choice - not an accident.
And, as the previous poster pointed out - this reduced color vibrancy is consistent with the rest of the design, were pretty much every character in the game has taken on a more subdued look compared to their original counter-parts.

Back to the role of Sakagushi: what I'm wondering, like Flare, is about what was the extent of his influence on FF7 because he was not the director, Kitase was. Then I would think that the large role you have described would have been fulfilled by Kitase, not Sakagushi.

The role I described to Sakaguchi is not done by the director. The director (usually, although it changes a lot from genre to genre) directs cinematography - story scenes, not literally the direction of the game as a whole. Traditionally, back in the days before "cinematic gaming", on the SNES and the NES, there was less of a distinction perhaps, but with the advent of 3D gaming where actual directing, in the same sense as with the movies, became a necessity the roles have become more distinct.

There is a lot of overlap though, in Japanese dev teams, if the two people are close in seniority and friendship, which Kitase and Sakaguchi were.

Sakaguchi readily admits that Kitase was indeed director in the major sense and that he was responsible for pretty much all of the finished story (which is strange considering Nojima being the writer - which probably means that Nojima was only responsible for writing/fleshing out scenes already decided by Kitase).
(Sakaguchi on Kitase's role from interview : "I’ve left all the in-game event scripting in his hands.")

My point is not to say that the rest of the primary team didn't contribute or do creative leg-work - but that their creative leg-work would be, although to what degree is uncertain, shaped by whatever Sakaguchi set them to work with, whilst having to take into account what he, as creative head, would want for the final product.
The biggest reason I stand by the opinion that his influence must have been significant, is because the style of FF7 is consistent in many ways with the earlier games and later projects by Sakaguchi, whilst the projects of the rest of the team have much more drastic differences in style.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The director on the other hand, directs the game - he/she takes the script and creates the cinematography, the visual representation of the scenes found within the script.
The script might say "Cloud high-jacks motorcycle and escapes Shinra", but it is the director that translates that into an actual scene within the game - whether Cloud does a triple back-flip unto the bike and drives it out a window unto the road below, or whether he calmly walks over to it, sits down and drives it down a staircase and out the front-door etc.
The directors decides the camera angles and everything else associated with the scenes.

You're describing either a movie director or a cutscene director. Both are different from the role of game director.

The role I described to Sakaguchi is not done by the director. The director (usually, although it changes a lot from genre to genre) directs cinematography - story scenes, not literally the direction of the game as a whole.

This is not correct. A game director IS the director of the entire project. Cutscene directors are a separate position.

Last edited:

hian

Purist
You're describing either a movie director or a cutscene director. Both are different from the role of game director.

Nope, because in terms of direction, the parts of a game that require direction in this sense is not just movies or cut-scenes.
There is much more to direct in a game than that - every single scripted even in a game is directed -

Every single scripted scene is not the game though - it is the presentation of the events in the game.

This is not correct. A game director IS the director of the entire project. Cutscene directors are a separate position.

Nope. See above.
Directors do not direct the work-flow, they do not direct battle mechanics or other game-play mechanics, they do not direct data base management, and the list keeps on going.

Directors can direct a great many things, even the things I just said they don't generally direct, depending on their relationship with the producer (sometimes they are the producer as well, such as Kojima), and their involvement in the concept stage.

However, you do not apply to the position as game director at SE for instance and expect to be the primary creative driving force in an entirely new project.

For a very long time, you'll be handed projects that have already entered concept stage, or be asked to brainstorm for a new concept, and then you'll be working under a producer who you will have to answer to on a regular basis.

Sure, if you're a 40-50 something person with 2-3 decades of experience in a Japanese company, and you sit down with three co-workers, come up with a concept and decide to direct it - things look quite different - but on a general basis though - no I am not wrong.

Although I'm loath to use Wikipedia for anything, in this case it's accurate -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_producer

• Negotiating contracts, including licensing deals
  • Acting as a liaison between the development staff and the upper stakeholders (publisher or executive staff)
  • Developing and maintaining schedules and budgets
  • Overseeing creative (art and design) and technical development (game programming) of the game
  • Ensuring timely delivery of deliverables (such as milestones)
  • Scheduling timely quality assurance (testing)
  • Arranging for beta testing and focus groups, if applicable
  • Arranging for localization
  • Pitching game ideas to publishers

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The Wikipedia article lumps game directors and producers together. Searching for game director literally just redirects you to producer. =/
The confusion may come from the term not being clearly defined. I think some devs do call their project leads producer but in the case of Square Enix or other Japanese companies the director is the one in charge of the game's overall direction. That is their synonym for the project lead.
Producers in this case are more often the guys in charge of business and management stuff and beating up the director so they don't go over schedule and budget and stay more hands-off with creative stuff.

You get battle directors, you get event and/or cutscene directors (like Takeshi Nozue) etc etc. All these people are in charge of their respective thing and all of them answer to the game director as the creative lead on the project.

When people like Nomura or Kitase or Tabata are listed as "Director" it has nothing to do with being in charge of "cinematography".
And Sakaguchi being producer most certainly meant he became less of a driving force than when he was director and let others take the reins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom