Dragon Ball Super

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah the framerate was a rough but I imagine it'll look better in the actual movie. The actual details of the CG looked really good, this is just a teaser and all.

I can't imagine what this plot would be about. But here's to hoping the anime will come back soon too.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
CG will never be a replacement for CG in my opinion, I wish they weren't even trying to mimic 2D at all if they're going CG. The choppy framerate just looks terrible imo.
CG is just a tool, just like pens are and the rules/foundations of animation are not specific to one of the other.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It's CG trying to be 2D, that's what I don't like. I don't hate CG on principle or anything, but it has its own ways of looking good that are different from 2D. The fun with anime for me is seeing different artists have their own crack at the characters, that's how you end up with distinct cuts that can be easily attributed to one studio or even just one person. There's a reason Naotoshi Shida was everyone's hero after super episode 130. With CG, the individual traits that make animators distinct are far more limited as everyone is working off the same models. It's more consistent, but there's less artistry in it in my opinion. If they're using CG, they should just let it be CG.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Character designs for movie.

ULB5BeK.jpg
ydcWxAi.jpg
zd9wtjt.jpg
FsRn0WZ.jpg

Piccolo's house.
Glk7jXJ.jpg

HA23fK5.jpg

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Is there an official confirmation that the movie is gonna be all cg? The character designs at least don't look like it to me
*after showing the teaser*

Sascha: "So, this isn't a scene from the movie?"
Akio Iyoku: "Yeah, that's right. We wanted to show what Goku will look like, his movement and feeling. It's not actually a scene in the movie, but we hope you look forward to it."
(...)
Akio Iyoku: "We only saw for a brief moment but the actual visual expression of goku's moves and such...incorporate quite a lot of ingenuity using different tecnologies."

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
He's exactly who I was thinking of when I was complaining earlier lol. He makes the point I was trying to make about the lack of artistic flexibility with 3D compared to 2D towards the end of the video.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
3D by itself is not inherently less artistic flexible than 2D, if they wanted they could make individual tailored made models of each character for each animator's own art sensibility but that would take too much time for something to be made on schedule.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I honestly think that Into the Spider-Verse is what proved that 3D can be considered within the exact same scope of traditional animation.

While anime has been using 2D and 3D interconnected elements for ages, it's mostly done in order to save on pencil mileage, to allow animators greater flexibility on the things that require more types of dynamic action. Corridor Crew does a decent job of going over some of those things for Western animation & anime:

The other thing is that using smear frames and other things in 3D animation is something that's been done more and more.

And then the obvious bit is how ALL of those things are used in Dragon Ball FighterZ, to maintain the 24fps LOOK of the animated show, which is important for how we're used to visually recognizing the anime, and they started playing around with the technology in Dragon Ball Super Broly, so it seems like a really natural move for them to go in with this film, and I think that if there's any property that's big enough to make a really significant impact with it, it's Dragon Ball.

Hopefully this will help out the industry in the long run, so that when they DO end up utilizing CGI to try to create something that would be functionally impossible otherwise like BLAME!, that you don't end up with the sorts of mediocre mistakes and things that plague things like the 2016 Berserk anime.

All-in-all – excited for this, and also the manga has been SO good lately. I like how they're intentionally pushing the envelope with Vegeta openly calling out that the "strongest" is only true in the one moment, and that balance can always shift, especially for a Saiyan, since that's what keeps him pushing forward all the time.

X :neo:

X :neo:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
DBS manga #76

Up until the last few pages, most everything in the current arc was good. I especially liked Granolah's horror at finally realizing he has become what he hates. I've been waiting for that and then the ending...is. exactly. the worst thing that could have been done and exactly what I have been fearing since 2014. This has the potential to undo any good will I had towards this arc. I will wait and see where it goes, but it'd need to be the best thing ever to justify this.

This trend of whitewashing Barduck's character has to stopped, making him anything close to a good/decent guys only makes Barduck too special and by extension, it makes Goku less special. Goku ending up as the antithesis to a brutish race of Saiyans is a great story, but it's killed dead when his father was also a kindhearted exception.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Bardock literally had no history until 2014.

That Toei TV special was never canon, it was an anime studio exclusive tv special. The only "truth" of that depiction is what was reused by Toriyama's choice now, which was Bardock leading a rebellion against Frieza right before the destruction of planet Vegeta.

Everything else is now different. Bardock's real canon history has been written since the appearance of Gine in Dragonball Minus. That's the real story Toriyama wanted to tell about Bardock and his family.

Thinking any of that previous DBZ Bardock anime studio history has any bearing on the Toriyama and Toyatoru written backstory that's being written now is like expecting the DBZ Broly movies of the 90s to be canon except in Dragon Ball Heroes. It's simply not. It's not informing the direction at all of the main series.

I don't know why Bardock having a heart and not being a mindless murderous ape like literally 99% of the Saiyans is a big deal, Bardock was never gonna be some average Joe Saiyan the minute he was drawn with Goku's face :monster:

It's like people who were upset when there was another Legendary Super Saiyan or something. Goku is special because he is Goku. Pretty sure Bardock not being a total monster doesn't magically make him Goku, either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom