Dragon Ball Super

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
This was a fantastic episode. The animation, choreography, and tactics employed by the characters were all superb, and resulted in one of the most entertaining episodes of the tournament thus far.

I liked Hit well enough already, but this episode definitely bumped him up a few levels for me. Dude is so cool under pressure its awesome.

I also liked Goku's use of SSG in this episode. Not only did it make for more intertesting visuals in the fight, but it also definitively disproved the idea that Goku's base form post BOG is supposed to be equal to SSG in terms of power, which is an idea I've always disliked.

So yeah, more of this please.

Ghost X

Something I didn't think too much about was how the tournament ends in a certain amount of time and whoever is left with the most survivors wins. There seems to be a lot of foreshadowing of Jiren, and his universe only has three people left, so I'm expecting there to be a severe reduction in numbers of Universe 6 and 7 by the time this saga nears its end for there to be a point to that build up, re: them posing a threat. Still trying to guess who will be the main villain of the saga. I'm rounding it down to Frieza, Hit, and Jiren. Frieza is probably gonna do something dodgy that he has yet to do, I think Hit will sacrifice himself in battle to save someone else or something cliché like that, and Jiren just doesn't come across as a big bad kind of character, still too mysterious for me to care about to be the "final boss", but I'm guessing he'll be there near the end.

Hello, to my future self. How wrong was I? :P.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah I think you're right.
Hit isn't a bad guy, more like idk, lawful evil? If that?
Frieza and Frost are chaotic evil and just dicks, they'll probably end up in the later tiers and be dicks. Jiren's all right, just hecking powerful and he'll probably end up being the final boss. Pretty sure it'll end with a one-on-one, instead of an X amount of people / universes still left and it being decided by default. Could be they do a 3 vs 3 or something past the deadline if there's equal numbers remaining. I mean they're omnipotent gods,
they don't give a fuck about the rules :monster:

Ghost X

Don't know if I called it at some stage, but a prediction of mine was that Frieza could possibly betray Frost, and waddyaknow :P. That doesn't mean much,
if Frieza can get a wish by staying to the end, like the episode kept saying. That seems like new information?

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Episode 108 wasn't quite the Gohan centric battle episode I was hoping for, but they put Freeza in the spotlight, and Freeza has been great in this arc, so I still had a good time with it.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Ok lads, lets take a moment to discuss how absurdly broken Jiren is. This guy went up against a SSBKKX20 Goku and proceeded to demolish him with roughly the same level of effort it takes me to belch after a particularly satisfying drink of beer. And by all accounts he wasn't using anything close to his full power when he did it. Like, do you have any idea how insane that is? SSB is greatly stronger than SSG right from the start, and Goku has strengthened both forms a lot since he fought Beerus, and then he slapped a X20 multiplier on it, and was still powerless. Jiren fought a guy tens of times stronger than the Goku who fought Beerus, and wrecked him with ease. Its no damn wonder Whis thinks this guy is beyond a god of destruction.

This two parter was stupidly fun to watch. The animation, choreography, and especially the music were all top notch. There was a real sense of tension and suspense that I haven't really felt from this arc before.

I'm curious about what the relationship between Jiren and Belmot is, there is definitely some kind of history between these two.

Next week we have Hit vs Jiren, which should be amazingly badass, though I fear for Hit.

I have two questions after the end of these episodes. First, what exactly is the form Goku took. Yes we know about the Ultra Instinct thing, and the power from the spirit bomb that fueled it, but is that all? Is this something Goku will be able to use at will later on, or something that can only be triggered under specific circumstances like it was this time?

My second question is if Jiren is this ridiculously strong, why is Toppo the one who was being trained as a god of destruction?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Goku getting yet another over 9000 transformation powar level that supposedly is beyond anything done before was ultimately completely useless for some reason, so IDK why they even bothered to add it. Breaks from the formula at least. Does mean that to beat Jiren they'll need idk, either something even more ridiculous, oooor there will be a stoopid plot point where idk, he just quits or gets erased or something.

Also not buying the whole god of destruction thing anymore. They're really hecking up the power level tier thing here. Actually they already did after the Beerus arc and Goku/Vegetable training with Whis - which didn't seem to have any notable effect either.
Not when transforming / changing hair colors outweigh any kind of training.

Ghost X

Welp, Episode 111 upended my earlier theory completely :P.
Hit being knocked out and all. I'm going to guess the next episodes will just be about other fights until Goku attains some amount of power to knock Jiren out, unless someone has some fancy non-power-level-related skill that takes everyone by surprise :P.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I enjoy how different the Universe's destruction's are handled. 9 goes out desperate, pleading and begging for some sort of hope to cling too. 10s is a somber erasure, after a brief glimmer of optimism they grow alone with regret and silently accept their fate.
Universe 2 go out spreading their love to their universe, content. And universe 6 goes out with a bit of fond reflection, they did all that they could, and they're okay with that; with even Champa making sure to go out having one last sibling moment with Beerus.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
May want to spoiler tag that one because it's the latest episode and not everyone watches that the minute it's out, tyvm.

Also it's fucking dark for DBZ, it's like, trillions of lives are winked out of existence because some fucking child gods put them at stake over some bet. I wonder if there'll be some reveal at the end of this (very, very long) arc where it's like "jk we didn't actually unexist them lol everyone be frens now".

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Also it's fucking dark for DBZ, it's like, trillions of lives are winked out of existence because some fucking child gods put them at stake over some bet.
It's pretty disturbing how the biggest Eldritch Cosmic Abomination in all creation is a colorful innocent kiddy.
I wonder if there'll be some reveal at the end of this (very, very long) arc where it's like "jk we didn't actually unexist them lol everyone be frens now".
I'm predicting something like this will happen:

Goku: "Did you have fun Zen-chan?"
Zen-chans: "YEEAH!"
Goku: "Want to have another tournament in the future?"
Zen-chans: "YEEAH!"
Goku: "Unfortunately there aren't enough Universes now to have a tournament".
Zen-chans: "I can fix that"

**Universes are brough back**

Zen-chans: "Everyone! See you next year!"

**The cycle of never ending cosmic tragedy has been repeating ever since**

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I just figured some morally good character would 'win' the dragon balls and obviously wish everyone back. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Are the dragonballs moar powerful than Zen-Oh. Zen-ae? Zenii? Wait that's the currency. Wait am I on to something here?

Also DBZ needs moar eldritch monstrosities, :monster:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
This voice kinda fits Frieza. Anyone recognise it? ;)

Also, Brian Drummond is returning to DBS to voice copy Vegeta:

You'll remember him from the Cartoon Network days in the late 90s. He was the first VA for Vegeta so it's nice to see him return for a couple of episodes.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, after getting 20 episodes behind, I finally got caught up. :monster:

Lots happened. Arc still going. Wow, that's a long 48 minutes.

Speaking of which, perhaps measurements of real-world time just shouldn't be a factor for stuff like this when the show isn't going to even come close to adhering to it? Why have it?

Anyway, it's been a very fun arc thus far, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Why have all the reaction shots? Tension and whatnot, :monster:. I mean at least the time scale isn't as ridiculous as the ten minutes spent explaining how the planet will explode in three seconds.

Actually are there any fan edits where they compress the actual episodes into three seconds? Or this one into 48 minutes? :awesome:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
DBS is ending straight after the tournament of power:

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954141093582401536
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954086203044675584

Episode 126 is the last one. It's possible that it's just on hiatus while they work on the new movie

https://kotaku.com/dragon-ball-super-is-ending-this-march-1822219535
Update January 19 - 4:45am: Japanese site Sanspo writes that Dragon Ball Super, the fifth anime in the series, is ending this March, adding that Fuji TV says a new production is currently TBA and that “it’s like not the series is finished.” It’s unclear if, in the Fuji TV quote, “series” refers only to Dragon Ball Super or the entire Dragon Ball anime series.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
No, its a few more than that. Episode 131 is supposed to be the last one, with the series ending at the end of march.

Top Bottom