Dragon Ball Super

Ghost X

So we know most of the storyline already? Most of it is basically a rehash of the recent movies? I'm disappointed, but will reserve judgement beyond that :P.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Just saw the first episode. Didn't have subs or anything, but I could mostly tell what was going on. It was a good. Just a fun little introduction to the series.

Ohzai

Rookie Adventurer
I want badass Gohan back :(
He goes from this
1311662069660_f.jpg

To this?
67e170c9f240b7b7c7d338c38ee791e8.jpg

What. 0_o

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Makes sense. Gohan never was a fighter the same way Goku was. He fought because he had no choice, not because he wanted to.

I always preferred the way Gohan was in the Buu arc. He's living more of the life he wants to live, but is still willing to leap into the fray when need be, and still capable of being a badass, as he demonstrated when he stomped Super Buu's shit.

Recent dragonball materials have done a poor job maintaining that balance, and I do hope Gohan will get to put in a better performance as the series progresses.

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
I've watched the first 8 episodes with English subs so far, haven't been able to find the rest subbed yet.

It's been pretty good and has explained the 'Battle of the Gods' film in a bit more depth but I'm not a fan of the updated art style. It seems they've modernised it and the combat looks oddly shaded (example when
Goku challenges Beerus on King Kai's planet
). Not sure if it's growing on me or not, I don't like change.

Edit: I'm looking forward to whatever comes after the Battle of the Gods film saga ends, is it going to lead into something before Ressurection F? A film I wasn't particularly a fan of despite the fanboy in me looking forward to seeing Freiza get his ass kicked again.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Gotta be honest, the Goku vs Beerus rematch is really good so far. Goku seems to be having a much harder time than he did in the movie, and Beerus is being just straight up brutal. Some of the techniques Beerus is using are kinda nifty looking. Hopefully next episode can maintain the intensity from this episode.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Couldn't decide for a while if I'd make a new thread for this, but decided to just post it here. It's a fan-made live-action reimagining of "The History of Trunks" -- and it's fucking awesome.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
eh. CGI is pretty good for a fan-made movie, but the choreography is kinda lacking (or, not in a similar spirit as the originals). Call me anal though, :monster:.

(I've never watched the official movie because DO NOT SEE!)

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Holy hell, now thats the sort of vicious brutality I expect from Freeza. At least Gohan got a good showing against Tagoma/Ginyu first.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Ok, I'm having a bit of an issue here. I'm gonna rant a bit, and its not gonna be very structured. I apologize in advance for the wall of text. Spoilers ahead.

I really want to like this series, but its not easy. The animation and fight choreography in this series just isn't good. I mean, it has its moments, but its mostly subpar. I was pretty forgiving of that for the first two arcs. I figured they were just saving the good stuff for when they actually started doing new content.

But here we are, in the U6 arc, and neither the animation or the fights seem to be improving much. Like, the ideas are interesting. Botamo's ability was a neat idea, and Piccolo relying on strategy to fight a much stronger opponent is something dragonball doesn't do as often as I'd like, but the actual fights are really lackluster compared to previous series.

Vegeta vs Magetta looks like it might be good, so we'll see.

I'm also having an issue with the way power levels are being handled. How strong are Goku and Vegeta supposed to be now? Previous stories implied they were starting to approach Beerus' level, but now I'm less certain. Goku was somewhat below Beerus when they fought at the end of the BoG arc. Since then, he trained under Whis for a few months, got the Blue Super Saiyan form, fought Frieza, trained under Whis some more, then did three years of training with Vegeta in the time chamber. One would suppose that he should have surpassed Beerus by a wide margin by now, but instead the show seems to imply that Goku is still below Beerus.

I'm also not sure how strong Goku and Vegeta are supposed to be relative to everyone else right now.

See, back in the Rof arc Piccolo got absolutely destroyed by Tagoma/Ginyu, and SS Gohan easily overpowered Tagoma/Ginyu. Therefore we know that SSGohan>Tagoma>Piccolo.

After that Frieza blows Gohan full of holes like its nothing. Sure, the first one was a sneak attack, but the fact that Gohan made no move to defend himself from the follow up implies that Frieza was a lot stronger. That was First Form Frieza.

Then Goku comes along, and Frieza goes to his far superior fourth form, which Goku is easily overpowering in his base form.

So we get this: Base Goku>Fourth Form Frieza>First Form Frieza>SS Gohan>Tagoma/Ginyu>Piccolo.

In other words Base Goku should be enormously superior to Piccolo.

But here in the current arc we see that Piccolo is almost able to beat Frost, only losing because Frost cheats. Goku, on the other hand, needed to turn into a Super Saiyan (I have a bit of a rant about this as well here in a moment) to overpower Frost in his final form.

Now granted, Goku was wrecking Frost's shit hard, so we can safely assume Frost had been significantly weakened by the time Piccolo fought him. But still, Frost's third form was already enough to pressure Base Goku, so one can assume even a weakened Frost should still be stronger than him. This is supported by the fact that Vegeta immediately turned into a Super Saiyan as well when it was time for him to fight Frost.

What I get from this is that Piccolo is currently at or near Goku's base power. Granted, Piccolo has been training with Gohan, so its only natural that he's gotten stronger, but Goku has also been training, including a three day stay in the time chamber, so he should be a lot stronger than he was in the RoF arc. It seems unlikely that Piccolo could close such a massive gap in power when Goku himself is also getting stronger.

Besides that, Piccolo only seemed about even with Gohan's base power when they were training, and Gohan's base should be below Goku's base. This one can be justified though, if we assume that Gohan has managed to regain his Ultimate power that he had in the Buu arc.

The point remains that the way these power levels are working just seems really inconsistent to me. I suppose some folks don't really care about that, and prefer to focus on the story. I can't help but focus on these things. Power levels are a big part of Dragonball, including how they relate to each other. In DBZ, no matter how ridiculous the power inflation got, you still pretty much knew who was stronger than who, and roughly by how much. When somebodies relative strength suddenly changed, there was generally a reason for it. There was some degree of consistency and logic to it.

I think all the power level stuff would actually work out just fine if it weren't for the RoF storyline. In hindsight I think everything would work a lot better if Super had omitted that particular arc, and gone right to the U6 arc instead.

Alright, one more thing to rant a bit about, and then I'm done.

Why are Goku and Vegeta not using the Blue Super Saiyan form right now? Back in RoF we were told that that form is the result of turning into a Super Saiyan with god ki. This led me to believe that, seeing as how both Goku and Vegeta have god ki now, Blue Super Saiyan was going to replace the original transformation for these two characters. Apparently that is not the case.

Now, I'll say straight up that if the writers prefer to ignore the whole blue thing in favor of the normal Super Saiyan look, then that is fine. I thought turning super saiyan blue was a poor idea from the start. But if thats the case I'd want the change to be acknowledged and justified inside the story. Maybe have somebody ask Goku about it and he can say the Blue Super Saiyan was just a transitional thing while their god ki was integrating with their normal ki. Something like that would be good enough for me.

But no comment has been made in the story at all so far, so whats the deal? Do Goku and Vegeta still have the ability to turn blue? If so, why aren't they? Are they somehow able to turn Super Saiyan without using god ki? Can god ki be turned on and off (if this is the case, then the whole thing with Piccolo would actually make a lot more sense)?

I know the arc has only been going a little while so far, so most likely an answer to this particular question will be coming along soon.

Ok, done ranting now. I do want to say that although this post probably comes off as being very negative, I do not hate DBS. There are things I like about it, and I think there is some real potential to it. Overall I am enjoying it. Its just that there are some things, like what I've discussed in this post, that are really holding it back. Still, if rumors are anything to go by then this show is only about a third of the way through, so there's plenty of time for it to improve.

Really the only things that need to be done is for the animation to be bumped up a level or two, along with the fight choreography, and for the characters power levels relative to each other to be more clear and consistent.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Alright, that was a good episode. The animation was pretty solid, the way Vegeta avoided the ringout was clever, and the tactics used by both fighters made for an interesting fight.

The preview for next episode also looks pretty good, and it looks like my questions about super saiyan blue are gonna get answered.

Now we just need to keep this up.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Another good episode. I haven't seen it with subs yet, but I think I got the gist of what everyone was saying. Action was well above average for Super, and the animation was up to par.

The preview for next episode looks great. I think I actually saw blood, maybe the studio is starting to take this show more seriously? Either way, it seems like Hit is an absolute monster in the ring. No wonder Frost was scared shitless by the guy.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Well, that was a thing of fucking beauty. Like seriously, not only is this the best episode of super, that last few minutes makes it one of my favorite episodes of any dragonball series. Simply fantastic.

Edit: On a side note, if Goku can just straight up multiply his god power using the kaio-ken now, then he is either much stronger than Beerus, or Super Saiyan Blue is nowhere near as powerful as I had previously thought. Either way, love that double aura.

Last edited:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
[Dragon Ball Super News 1]
The "Future" Trunks arc starts June 12! Here's an illustration of "Future" Trunks by Toriyama-sensei! Why has Trunks, who should have defeated Cell and brought peace back to the future, appeared in the present again...? Is there a new enemy in the future...? Look forward to it!

Ch-6FdpUkAAEc0I.jpg

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Sorry for the large images. These are comments from Toriyama that were translated by Herms over on Kanzenshuu.

Ch_H7_AVIAIzNVm.jpg:large

Ch_H7_DVAAEcF6P.jpg:large

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I like Future Trunks a lot, but this sounds a tad bit like fanfiction. I'm not gonna write it off though, it could be good with the right execution. Fingers crossed.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Poster for the new arc:
trunks_450w.jpg
It seems interesting to me that this evil Goku is wearing what appears to be a potara earing. Perhaps an alternate Goku somehow became fused with some evil substance or another via the potara, and thats why he's a villain?

And a link to the kanzenshuu article discussing this new arc: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2016/06/03/future-trunks-arc-key-visual-revealed-dragon-ball-super/

From the sound of it this arc should be taking a more dramatic tone than Super has had up until now.

Top Bottom