Dragon's Dogma

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
From Joystiq's article:

Joystiq said:
Announced during Capcom's Captivate event – in Miami this year! – Dragon's Dogma is billed as "a unique action experience that blends exciting and fulfilling combat with the freedom to explore and interact in a rich, living and breathing world." Oh, that world is also "open." Your party of three must "track down and destroy a mysterious dragon," but there will be plenty of other critters to slay on your journey.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Capcom is tying DD's lineage to two of its most successful action titles; the press release says it's from "the creators behind some of Capcom's best action games" including Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 4. Those creators include producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi and director Hideaki Itsuno. The new game is being built on an "enhanced" version of the company's already impressive MT Framework engine (think: Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2) and will track down and destroy your Xbox 360 or PS3 some time in "early 2012."

Debut Trailer

Gameplay: Hydra Battle

Image Gallery (Click Text for Images)

•
29f7900adfd77af13e54b9df1330f98a.jpg
•
6b1b1baa17f48c4282956cfa3c71001f.jpg
•
65bc5c8b1b14a56edd97a7737d582560.jpg
•
e5e7ca0b3b0cee1ab8d1f9a2a7a0ce95.jpg
•
9e989b2cd34368611b835f005916257c.jpg
•
f542f24ee68a825acaf880c8faaf3fcf.jpg
•
f39f562084c354d7495f0d47b53326af.jpg
•
b242962825f32a2e387256161201e304.jpg
•
c5fd9a856a41d4c02ee6fb38abcf5aeb.jpg
•
38f4903462d555298169b71dd85ea0ed.jpg
•
25d4671bf3768c97d8bcb7a7d1684550.jpg
•
68b0e4cb200bb75409ceb249fea587f3.jpg
•
8003484590a3b907526e1aa8b0f90c60.jpg
•
06f0cc3106a334c2c0daf84f0ae4d839.jpg
•
3ca36cc640665e80a42877051ec58e08.jpg
•
b7a91dba9a3b6c81f673fd6cb98b5984.jpg
•
f4718b5c3d51c484e05f09c5802ad79b.jpg
•
1903e8899c0038da911de9df9875362b.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

This looks like it could be awesome. The trailer and gameplay have offered a pretty good taste of a game that won't be out for a year. Enough to capture my interest.

X :neo:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
tbh it looks like a bargain bin demons souls

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
*revives*

There is a demo available on both PSN and 360 stores downloading it now. :monster:

AvecAloes

Donator
I watched the gametrailers.com review last night, and I was actually surprised with the score they gave it (8 something, I believe) because they had a lot of fairly negative things to say about it. I'd link to it but I'm on my phone at the moment and cba :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I had never heard of it before when I saw Gametrailers put the review up. The review intrigued me honestly, everyone sharing party members that each person makes is a cool idea and the combat DOES look like its a lot of fun. The lack of almost any fast travel as well as a lackluster story sound like downers, but I may have to check out that demo.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
YES

Its not a sequel, but at least its something.

Fade

SHR
One the most unique RPGs I've played, strong recommend if you haven't played it already. Really feels like it belongs in that Vagrant Story, Dark Souls camp as a fusion cuisine of eastern and western RPGs. Can't say a TV series is necessarily going to capture what's cool about it, but worth it if it turns more people onto this somewhat hidden gem.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The TV series will most likely be good for different reasons than the game is, yeah. The specific nuanced elements that make the gameplay fantastic might be hard to carry over to the animated series. I mean, that’s partially true of the Castlevania series, now that I think about it. (Though in that case they share a trait of having really good lore - and in some battle scenes, there were a lot of good nods to the Castlevania gameplay)

Similarly, that is something I think they could carry over with Dragon’s Dogma - the battles are frenetic and cooperative, with the player being able to climb onto beasts dynamically while other party members work together. That is something that could easily carried over to an animated version.

But yeah, I didn’t expect this at all, so it’s an interesting surprise - and who knows, popularity of the animated series could show Capcom that a sequel would be viable.

Reactions: Wol

Fade

SHR
Not a single "wolves hunt in packs, Arisen!" What is even the point? :no:

Trailer seems...fine? Faithful to the game, yeah, though does sort of confirm my feelings that Dragon's Dogma is a hard sell on the basis of its story alone. Also probably could've done without the grimdark, Doomed Hometown, "fridged" family Arisen - it's a direction that makes a story with a fairly generic pitch come off even more generic. Obviously, they had to give the Arisen a character, but something fresher might've spiced up the initial story a little. I'd say it's actually a game that lends itself to having a bit more fun with it, personally, but I'll give it a watch and see how it pans out.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
if they include the line about plants growing around big trees “like so many verdant children” i will die instantly and go to nirvana

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
That CG looks surprisingly good in a lot of ways. Not as on-point as the TWEWY CG show, but the models themselves look fantastic. I suppose the animation could use a little more stylistic exaggeration.

But yeah, generic looking or not, consider me interested as a fan of the game

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
That CG looks surprisingly good in a lot of ways. Not as on-point as the TWEWY CG show, but the models themselves look fantastic. I suppose the animation could use a little more stylistic exaggeration.

But yeah, generic looking or not, consider me interested as a fan of the game
Ironically enough, the game's own aesthetics was deemed generic by many.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Ok just watched the first two episodes and wow, the adaptation is LEGIT. while this isn't mindblowing for now, its better than I expected.

Grigori absolutely obliterates everything around him as it should be, and the characters are all likeable but the best thing is how exciting the action sequences are.

There are multiple nods to the game obviously.

Anyway this together with FFXVI really warmed me up again for some classic sword, sorcery and dragons.

I really hope this gets traction and DD2 gets confirmed in the near future.

Top Bottom