• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

E3 2021 -Official Thread of "is this just gonna be a Zoom meeting then?"-

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Yeah I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the sprites. They're not terrible, not like that ugly filtered mobile shit. But it seems they're kind of trying to make them all homogenized across the board or something?
But then, why not just make everything FFVI style. =P

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's exactly what I was thinking. They're nicely detailed but seemingly duller in color. It's leagues above whatever garbage they used for the Steam/mobile ports, but the color pallette could use improving.

Same could be said for Warrior of Rage, Jack tbh :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I figured it was too much to hope for for everything to get the PSP 1, 2, and 4 treatment >_>

Yeah, don't love them. Obviously better than the existing V and VI atrocities, but so is RPGMaker2000.

EDIT: Getting more annoyed, lol. How does that FF1 fighter sprite look so bad?! The PS1 sprite is definitely better, and YET AGAIN, the PSP version completely blows it out of the water.
2021-06-13-135058.png

Why won't you just use this style, Square?

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I figured it was too much to hope for for everything to get the PSP 1, 2, and 4 treatment >_>

Yeah, don't love them. Obviously better than the existing V and VI atrocities, but so is RPGMaker2000
Yeah the PSP art style that I, II, and IV had seem like the ideal level of detail for the 2D style that’s not the 2.5D HD style that Octopath has been doing.

But I suppose that since the current mobile versions of FFI and FFII are already based on the PSP versions, SE figured that people were specifically looking for the 16-bit style than the 32-bit style (or are the PSP FF games 64-bit style pixels?).

waw

Pro Adventurer
The SNES 4, 5, and 6 sprites are perfect. 6 was an improvement that wasn't totally needed. Everything beyond this has ledt me feeling disappointed personally.

The ps1 stuff ia beautiful but I didn't need it.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
This is likely in response to hate people had towards FFV and FFVI's mobile ports.

These ports seem like a nice idea. Paying tribute to the original style of the games...

But the PSP ports were better? The upscaled sprites in that game were beautiful and still faithful, especially in FFIV. The FFI and II PSP enemy sprites were often more faithful than their PS/GBA counterparts.

The sprites they're using here are mostly from the GBA ports. In some cases they've remade enemy sprites to resemble the original NES designs: You can see the Adamantoise in the trailer (the PSP Adamantoise sprite was actually based on Amano's artwork). But they also kept Garland's PS/GBA sprite the same, which is... close enough, but I'd say less faithful than the PSP one was.

If they were going to remake the FFI-VI sprites in a consistent style, they could have at least created them at a higher resolution. Since they're the same resolution we can now look at the character sprites and wonder why the fuck they didn't just use the originals.

Based on what's been shown, this actually seems rather lazy.

The most interesting thing about these remakes is that it will be the first western release of the original FFIII. I also wonder how much of FFIII is salvaged from the unfinished WonderSwan Color port.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I heard second hand info about some stuff that might be at the big N’s direct tomorrow. I’m conflicted about spreading it, but I feel like I have to bring it up somewhere, hence this post :shifty:

Making claims like that can be pretty wild.
Even though I’m vaguely confident…
There’s never 100% certainty to rumors.
Random, sometimes fleeting…
Online discourse certainly is something crazy.
In the end, we’ll see during their presentation.
Don’t sweat it.

I also Don’t Know how accurate this is. If it’s not, I’m more than happy to look like a fool :P I guess I’ll keep it to myself for the time being.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I don't know why I'm hoping for anything from Nintendo, I don't even have a Switch

and all those rumors of a Switch "Pro" just have me holding out for it but despite the consistent smoke, that damn fire is nowhere to be seeeeeeeen :@

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Holy shit, that's actually a really good pick!

Please let his final smash be tossing his opponent into volcano. Please.

And Metroid is back. About fucking time.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
DROP HIS ASS INTO THAT VOLCANO KAZUYA!

LOL that artwork is hilarious xD

Top Bottom