• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Editorial: 5 Things You Can Do To Prepare For FFXV

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Not unlike anything out there, and nothing especially especial. But I think it's a good humble article. I'm giving it the "editorial" label but I can nix that if you'd prefer! :monster:

My Google Drive is down atm so I can online provide an inline preview. A few notes in advance:

1. I don't mention Episode Duscae as an option if only because not everybody can immediately get to it plus the final product is quite different.

2. The youtube videos can be put inline with the article if that would be preferred (I would assume so).

So here we are folks. Less than 24 hours separate us from an event about 10 years in the making. The release of Final Fantasy XV. We’ve covered the rocky journey of this game quite extensively on this site all the way from its beginning as part of the now scrapped Fabula Nova Crystallis series as Final Fantasy Versus XIII. As with all projects that undergo development hell the cycle of news around the game has been an emotional rollercoaster. I, as only a passive observer of the game - who never delved too deeply into the early lore - can only speak from an outside perspective.

However I know many have taken the loss of some of the story elements from the original concepts, or their perceived bastardization in the final product (yes, I am referring to Stella) rather hard. But, at long last, we are going to finally be able to play this game and determine for ourselves if all the years of meteoric highs and cavernous lows will live up to our expectations - and so far the signs seem overwhelmingly positive.

7 years separate us from the last time a main series numeral (single-player, non-sequel, non spin-off) was released, with Final Fantasy XIII being released in Japan on December 17, 2009. I imagine everybody has similar plans to get lost in the world of Noctis and his friends for quite some time afterwards, and I look forward to seeing you all on the other side of this amazing journey.

In the meantime, however, if you just can’t wait any longer and feel about to burst here’s a few things you might do to build your hype and prepare you for the story.

1. Watch Kingslgaive

I know some are waiting for the release day to view this, but if you’re just waiting for the game to come in find your video service of choice, sit down and watch this two hour long adventurous prequel. I know you might be a bit wary about whether or not the film will be worth your time, and fortunately The Lifestream has you covered - with a series of spoiler free reviews that you can read here: http://thelifestream.net/lifestream-projects/reviews/34913/kingsglaive-a-nyxed-bag/

2. Watch Brotherhood

This series of anime shorts documents both prequel and “midquel” content of the game. It gives you a deeper understanding of the characters’ backstory and motivations and features some charming moments of its own. The series is subtitled, so be prepared to read but you can watch the five episodes on Youtube (for free, of course).

Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsVhwsUFaDE&list=PLbhHt7tfNMCAhpjJlSh3Rm7KSdcmuzM4m

3. Play Platinum Demo

If your controller finger is itching, why not dust off the Platinum Demo that released back at the end of March? The prologue is, admittedly, quite short but takes you through an imaginative dreamscape with some incredible music and a fun taste of the gameplay to come. Don’t have it? Well you can download it here:

PS4 Version: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...y-xv/cid=UP0082-CUSA04568_00-0000000000000001

XBOX One Version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/platinum-demo-final-fantasy-xv/btkt690lzlr2

4. Watch The Trailers

Yes let us not forget about that age old marketing hype tool, the humble trailer. And Final Fantasy XV has a plethora of them available for the viewing. Pick your favorite or pick them all and get to viewing!

101 Trailer Extended Cut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFia3ZEpZJk

Omen Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZymd6r4wGg

Judgment Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqLyNGrBUDs

5. Watch “New Legacies”

This really cool video gathers fans, game developers and “surprise guests” to talk about their history with the entire Final Fantasy franchise. This should fill you with the love of not just the upcoming game, but remind you of how far we have come.

Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQl4gV4OTXc

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Looks good to me :monster:

Two corrections:

the now scrapped Fabula Nova Chrysalis -> Crystallis

you can watch the first five episodes on Youtube -> should probably be changed because the wording implies there are more episodes

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Looks good to me :monster:

Two corrections:

the now scrapped Fabula Nova Chrysalis -> Crystallis

you can watch the first five episodes on Youtube -> should probably be changed because the wording implies there are more episodes

I thought there was a 6th that was being released with the game?

Otherwise many thanks and I shall make those changes. Silly me expecting Final Fantasy to spell something the way it should be spelled. :monster:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Aside from the fact that I absolutely despise the whole legacy Youtube videos ... a nice preparation article!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
*applauds*

*realises he hasn't done any of the things on the list*

*wonders if he might actually be the least excited person on TLS right now*

:monster:

If you are the least excited person Flint, I might be the second-to-least excited. I have watched Kingsglaive, Brotherhood and a portion of the Platinum Demo. All were enjoyable enough but I still have zero investment in the FFXV universe and I don't feel any genuine hype. Had I lots of excess money I might have bought a PS4 and FFXV just to be in on the current hot topic, but as it stands I don't mind being spoiled about everything in the game. :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
but as it stands I don't mind being spoiled about everything in the game. :monster:

Urge to livestream first playthrough... rising...

Though for sure if anybody decides to livestream it you'd better disable comments. Trolls be trolling. :monster:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
If you are the least excited person Flint, I might be the second-to-least excited. I have watched Kingsglaive, Brotherhood and a portion of the Platinum Demo. All were enjoyable enough but I still have zero investment in the FFXV universe and I don't feel any genuine hype. Had I lots of excess money I might have bought a PS4 and FFXV just to be in on the current hot topic, but as it stands I don't mind being spoiled about everything in the game. :monster:

This is me all the way, though I still mind being spoiled and foresee a future in which I got a PS4 and play this so I guess I'm third least excited but right now, don't feel any of the hype I've had for Versus/XV over the years.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I'm trying not to get spoiled either, because I'm sure I'll play it someday, either when there's a reasonably priced PC release or when I get a PS4 for VIIR. I managed to avoid XIII spoilers for seven years so I think I'll manage a year or two with XV. :)

Ghost X

I've watched a couple of hours of the game so far. The person playing seems to be doing so quickly, because other walkthroughs have taken far longer to get to the same point
just after where Ardyn leads you by car to a rest stop
. Anyway, tl;dr: It has held my interest so far.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i guess this might be the topic (because i'm avoiding the main one) to ask what this omen trailer is about? i had gotten the impression it was something special or unique, but i have been making it a habit to avoid square's later/close-to-release trailers and don't really want to watch it if it's just going to be stuff from the game that i can see by playing the game (whenever that will happen because i can't afford it on release anyway)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Who knows. It seems like it's a nightmare that Regis has of what would happen if he sent Noctis alone without his friends. So whether that's a spoiler or not....*shrug*

It is, however, a really cool trailer.

Sorry to be that guy but I honestly don't get why everyone is so wowed by the Omen trailer. XD I watched it once and almost instantly forgot what I saw. What is it about this trailer that is moving people so?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It doesn't seem well-made to you? The cinematography is really well done. All of the scene changes are simultaneously jarring and smooth. I particularly the like the reflection in the subway car.
And of course the mysteriousness of the whole thing.

*rewatches trailer*

It is certainly well-made. The transitions are creative. It is also unnerving to see Noctis controlled by a dark side, and to see his reaction to it. I'll give the trailer that. For the first time I feel even the slightest hint of emotion for the Noctis character. The trailer properly conveys the "this is the darkest timeline" emotion.

Bottom line is probably that I'm still not invested in the FFXV universe. If I had any sort of hype for the game I'd feel something more from the Omen trailer other than "well, that was a dark thing".

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I honestly have not watched any trailer for FFXV ever except the infamous "hug simulator" trailer. I just added those to the list for thoroughness sake. I plan to watch them tonight during my work shift to build hype.

My FFXV journey has been basically casual avoidance - I didn't want to let hype build up for something that could be totally scrapped (see Versus XIII). When Duscae came out I played it and it was the first genuine thing I did to enter the universe. I followed suit with Platinum Demo and Kingsglaive and Brotherhood because these were tangible things, even if things were still going to change (which as we know they did - from Duscae at least).

As a result I have remained fairly hype neutral. Except for a burst following the viewing / playing of any particular thing. I am now incredibly excited to play FFXV because I am condensing 10 years worth of hype into about a week, lol.

Lex

Administrator
i guess this might be the topic (because i'm avoiding the main one) to ask what this omen trailer is about? i had gotten the impression it was something special or unique, but i have been making it a habit to avoid square's later/close-to-release trailers and don't really want to watch it if it's just going to be stuff from the game that i can see by playing the game (whenever that will happen because i can't afford it on release anyway)

The Omen trailer is basically a premonition of Noctis's journey sans-friends, and is (most likely) the reason Regis decides to send Gladio, Ignis and Prompto with him in the first place.

Nothing that happens in the Omen trailer should technically happen in the game (therefore), but it's always possible there's semi-spoilery stuff in there. There's no real way to know until we've all played the game.

A couple of things to note about the Omen trailer:

1. It appears so "well made" because it was made by the same dudes who did the Assassin's Creed trailers (a random western studio, fuck all to do with SE), and it was made specifically to appeal to the western audience (what you might call the "wow that looks cool dood" crowd, i.e. all of us since it definitely worked)

2. Scenes from the Omen trailer are being added to the game in a patch. This might have been the day one patch, I can't remember.

Top Bottom