• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Ending..

Julian Kedives

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Jack
In the OG ending we see Aerith in the alley with her eyes closed . I was wondering if the entire game was a " vision of future events" that she forshadowed. What do you think?

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
In the OG ending we see Aerith in the alley with her eyes closed . I was wondering if the entire game was a " vision of future events" that she forshadowed. What do you think?
I think it’s a reasonable guess as to what Remake is. I like the idea honestly.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
That's why i'd like to know if Nomura,kojima and kitase planned this already in 1997,that would make perfect sense and i am not including the remake.

This was definitely not planned back in 1997. Every Final Fantasy before X-2 was a standalone product, with no thoughts to expand or elaborate on any of them beyond that. That's the cold hard truth.

Going by what they decided to do with the Remake (a story idea that is, at most, 15 years old) it could be that Holy's last flash caused time to revert back to an arbitrary point (Aeris chillin' in an alleyway) and imbued the caster with the knowledge of what happened from that point until the flash. (As to why it reverted to that point, several months before Aeris cast it, my only answer is a long, squeaky farting noise.)

The Remake's opening and the OG's ending are more similar than the Remake's opening and OG's opening, as Aeris doesn't have her eyes closed during the OG's opening. It's not a huge stretch to think that there's a connection there, in regards to what the Remake is.

As for what Aeris's face means during the ending of the OG? My reading of it was as allegory, to say that the ones we love are never truly gone, that their impact is immense, beyond mortality, and that the culmination of Holy's power was just one of the ways in which the living who carry her can feel her love persist after death. I prefer that reading, but ymmv.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of my past 23 years to be a dream.

1589706508441.png

Last edited:

Julian Kedives

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Jack
In fact i am not considering the remake i am only refering to OG. I know it was a stand alone product but , anyway ,what if the ending was an aerith vision ?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
It is a narrative callback.

The last thing Cloud says is "The promised land... I think I can meet her there."

The game then takes you back to the point where you meet Aerith for the first time.

Whether or not this is intentional, it's why I stand by OG FF7 as being a hopeful ending. I enjoy the fact that it gives room for a healthy amount of cynicism though.

I'm sitting here laughing at the idea of Square giving a clear straightforward explanation for anything.
But also, when the creators of any work of fiction have made the deliberate choice to leave the ending ambiguous, that's what they want it to be. Why would they ever want to "explain" it any further than they have already? Such an explanation would close down all the alternative interpretations which they deliberately left open? Does humanity survive or doesn't it? Is humanity worthy of survival? YOU decide.

Julian Kedives

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Jack
I'm sitting here laughing at the idea of Square giving a clear straightforward explanation for anything.
But also, when the creators of any work of fiction have made the deliberate choice to leave the ending ambiguous, that's what they want it to be. Why would they ever want to "explain" it any further than they have already? Such an explanation would close down all the alternative interpretations which they deliberately left open? Does humanity survive or doesn't it? Is humanity worthy of survival? YOU decide.
Indeed. I was only wondering if they ever released anything about that question (and i am not refering to the remake) . Suddenly everybody started to gain interest in the OG ending cause of the remake. I dont remember many ppl worrying about the "aerith eyes opened/eyes closed so i asked myself "did i miss anything about the old ff7 game?" ?

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I do agree on that when it comes to consequences, but not when the how everything happened isnt explained it. Thats why the ending feels random, as fuck. Everything is cryptic, not just a part of it, you don't know the rules set so nothing makes sense, its all simply introduced and lucky you if you enjoy it or not.

Ending is so fucking bad.

Last edited:

Julian Kedives

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Jack
I do agree on that when it comes to consequences, but not when the how everything happened isnt explained it. Thats why the ending feels random, as fuck. Everything is cryptic, not just a part of it, you don't know the rules set so nothing makes sense, its all simply introduced and lucky you if you enjoy it or not.

Ending is so fucking bad.
Totally agree

Reactions: Wol

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I mean, humanity's gonna fuckin merc itself in 50 years unless we smarten up and do something about how we treat our environment.

It doesn't feel really random. That's the real life fear that drives the conflict in the story. The game isn't exactly subtle about speaking directly to that issue. It wants you to reflect on your own complicity in this future.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I mean, humanity's gonna fuckin merc itself in 50 years unless we smarten up and do something about how we treat our environment.

It doesn't feel really random. That's the real life fear that drives the conflict in the story. The game isn't exactly subtle about speaking directly to that issue. It wants you to reflect on your own complicity in this future.

I’m with you there. Too many people seem to miss that messaging completely. I’ve been told — somewhere here on the boards — that I’m projecting my environmental politics into something that’s ‘just supposed to be a game.’ smh (can’t remember the exact quote, it was over three months ago so Remake posts have loooong buried it)

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I’m with you there. Too many people seem to miss that messaging completely. I’ve been told — somewhere here on the boards — that I’m projecting my environmental politics into something that’s ‘just supposed to be a game.’ smh (can’t remember the exact quote, it was over three months ago so Remake posts have loooong buried it)

ah yes... the story about a group of eco terrorists fighting against the embodiment of neo-fascist, unchecked, corporate capitalism is completely apolitical.

Last edited:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
FFVII has a really good way of representing how our current way of life is not entirely sustainable. The story takes something really complicated with lots of factors, making the ridiculous excess of society really clear.

It's so easy to see, in fact, that many people fail to make the connection because their IRL worldview is so different. I think that's why they're shocked when you point out that FFVII has a strong environmental message, at least. Even if it seems blatantly obvious.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I recall some people were very concerned that the remake would lose sight of the economic and environmental themes the original carried in order to put all the focus on pretty anime boy sword fighting action, and while Sephiroth was definitely shoved in our gaping, welcoming holes just as much as I figured he'd be, I'd also say the remake brings a lot more attention the the original's themes too.

The willful ignorance of the population of Midgar is on full display; they know what the lifestream is, that the planet is alive, you hear NPCs talk about it all around sector 7's slums. The truth of what Mako energy entails is no longer some revelation only a few know, it's public knowlege. It's just that they don't care. None of them would sacrifice their lifestyles in order to address the issue. Big dick pres. Shinra says so himself at reactor 5. It makes you understand why Barret took such extreme actions, he was preaching to a deaf crowd. If all of that isn't a brazen allegory for climate change, I don't know what is.

There's also the obvious condemnation of the wealthy and privileged. Despite the profits of the Shinra company, Midgar is deteriorating from within. A real rotting pizza. Roads are unfinished, there's abandoned machinery and construction everywhere, the train tunnels are infested with mutant bugs that Shinra is only half-heartedly dealing with, the all-important sunlamps have been abandoned and their facilities are falling apart, it's all completely rotten. Those in power do not care, they'd rather spend all those resources on lavish lifestyles and outlandish experiments. President Shinra is quite literally willing to destroy Midgar with no thought of reconstruction because of a children's fairy tale. It all brings to mind how public education funding is in the trash, the post office is dying, and yet hundreds of millions of dollars have gone into paying for a certain orange's fucking golf trips. I'm sure Japan has their own similar parallel for that too.

Final Fantasy VII, and by extension it's remake, are ridiculously politically charged (as much as I hate to call climate change a "political issue.") Anyone who says otherwise are as willfully blind as the citizens of Midgar are.

boy that got a little heated there.

Top Bottom