• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Europe trip, woot!

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
This is one of the top things on my bucket-list -- going to Europe. I wish I had more time, but between limited vacation days and stuff costing a fucking lot (xD), I need to be more realistic. So England it is for the first week, with the add-on of another country (to be determined) for the second week.

First, I'd like those of you who either live or been to London, to advise me on the places to go to. What's the best places to dine at? What should I see when I'm there? What parts of the city should I avoid? Etc.

Second, I'm throwing a party about the (Sept.) 27th (still finalizing details) and I would love for several of you fine folks to join me in par-taying. I've already got a few who have raised their hands which I'm totally stoked about it. I'll have booze, food, games -- all in some sweet pad I'll reserve shortly.

Third, I'd love to know which country I should visit second. Right now the hubby and I are looking at Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany. I'm going to do some research on each of these countries, but I'd love some input, ofc.

I'm absolutely beyond excited. Cannot. Fucking. Wait. <3

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
And I can't wait to fucking meet you. We're going to get so wrecked! :awesome:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
First, I'd like those of you who either live or been to London, to advise me on the places to go to. What's the best places to dine at? What should I see when I'm there? What parts of the city should I avoid? Etc.
Oh hai :wacky:

First up I'll say not to worry too much about planning everywhere you want to go top-to-bottom. Exploring is pretty easy to do with a day travelcard. You can get from one side of London to the other - and everywhere in-between - for one cheap amount each day. The underground runs regular trains (every few minutes) so scheduling isn't something that needs to occupy brains pace :P

I'm not sure if Museums are your jam, but there's plenty to go to and check out if you'd like. Natural History and Science museums are a staple. Also if you'd like to check out a gallery or two you can go to the Tate or, of course, the National Gallery.

Want to ride on the London Eye? You may want to book that in advance or risk long queue times ^_^ I'd definitely recommend it though. Depending on the visibility you can see the edges of the city from the top. It's a great photo opportunity :monster:
If heights aren't your thing, you can also take a boat through the Thames. There's a few to choose from, and most offer a tour guide that will explain the history of the landmarks you'll get to see.

As far as places to eat go, I may be less help. There are some big and fancy restaurants all over the place but, for the most part, expect to overpay through the teeth in most places :doh:. When I eat out in London (:awesome:) I take a stroll down the south bank of the Thames. There are dozens of riverside pubs, bars, restaurants and cafés to choose from, all with a pleasant view of river and city lights.

As for places to avoid, I wouldn't say anywhere in particular. The further you travel out from the center of London the less there is to see and you start traversing into more and more boring residential areas. So I'd personally avoid that :monster:

This is off the top of my head, and there's plenty more to see (you'd LOVE Camden), so if there's any other big things I'll try to post them here ^_^

Also I'd love to partay :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've been in Landan for a few days; the National Museum is worth a visit. Tate Modern... not my thing. Visit Camden too, I'm sure you'll like it there (it's basically a large marketplace. Very hipster.)

As for the other one: avoid Germany for the most part (it's depressing), but you could do Berlin if you dig museums and touristy crap (the only part of it I've seen earlier this year)

NL, well I'm biased, I live here :monster:. Amsterdam is probably a more interesting place to visit than Berlin if you're not into the museums; it's smaller / more manageable and shit. Depends on how long you plan on going there.

Belgium is on my to do list, the beer is better, the people are nicer, and the country is prettier. Or well, the last one is uncomfirmed yet, since I've only been there once and that was in the spring or something, :monster:.

Ghost X

I went to a lot the touristy places in London in a fairly breezy tour with a friend of mine (a local) when I lived in the UK. I mainly looked at things from the outside, as there were entry costs, and I was feeling poor at the time. So if you want to do the touristy thing, I guess you could do that. EG: From my recollections, I went to Buckingham Palace (with lots of fancy statues out front), Westminster Palace, Westminster Abbey, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Canary Wharf, Trafalgar square (featuring lots of fancy statues and a certain column), Tower Bridge, Westminster bridge (penis shadows), the millennium bridge (over-rated), and the Tower of London. I was there when the Gherkin was built, but not the Shard. <-- Do not visit these places in this order. One thing I missed was St Peter's Cathedral. If you're a fan of Pink Floyd, the power plant featuring on one of their albums is somewhere on the outskirts, but I think I only saw it on the train in from Brighton where I lived (also an interesting place, if you have the time to visit... about an hour's train away). I spent some time in the national gallery, but probably didn't appreciate it as much as I should have (though seeing Van Goghs was a religious experience :P), and another thing I missed was most of the other museums and galleries, which is something that will change if/when I visit again :P. I also recommend Camden, which I also visited during that day :P. When my aunt visited, I went to some aquarium thing, which I think was near the London Eye. I also recommend seeing this. The times I traveled through London I got to see a fair amount of train stations too, which are a little interesting sometimes themselves.

Fangu

Great Old One
Amsterdam is probably a more interesting place to visit than Berlin if you're not into the museums; it's smaller / more manageable and shit.
I don't agree :monster: Berlin is large and amazing while Amsterdam has narrow houses, a river with some boats and it's all covered in too many tourists and marijuana smoke :mon:

But then it also has snert and hangop :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Avoid the beer called Bavaria though, it's kinda naff :monster:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat, Mr. Channy loves that stuff.

Mr. Channy has no taste and should educate himself, :monster:. I can make a shortlist if need be.

Amsterdam is probably a more interesting place to visit than Berlin if you're not into the museums; it's smaller / more manageable and shit.
I don't agree :monster: Berlin is large and amazing while Amsterdam has narrow houses, a river with some boats and it's all covered in too many tourists and marijuana smoke :mon:

Well I've only been in a small part of Berlin, so, I know nothing :monster:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

All true, but it also has meeeee

If you do pass through Amsterdam, Dawn, let me know.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Avoid the beer called Bavaria though, it's kinda naff :monster:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat, Mr. Channy loves that stuff.

Mr. Channy has no taste and should educate himself, :monster:. I can make a shortlist if need be.

:O

....sure :monster:

All true, but it also has meeeee

If you do pass through Amsterdam, Dawn, let me know.

I don't think she'll need to alert you.... just look for the woman pegging everyone she passes :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
* La Chouffe
* Karmeliet Tripel
* Pauwel Kwak
* Chimay Blue
* Rochefort 8 / 10 / 12
* and I guess if you want lager, Hertog Jan is probably the best :monster:

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
^da faq, lawl, spambot?

also, woot, it's just a month and a half away! I've got all the hotels and flights booked and am now arranging transportation from Belgium and back. I'm also booking up day tours with the in-laws and with me and the hubby. Again, whoever's able to see me, it would be awesome. Can't wait, just CANNOT wait!

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I can confirm I'm still going!

Just need to book the hotel and trains, then I'm all set. :awesome:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Gatwick Airport. This is the hotel Dawn's staying, so I'm going to book two nights (30th September and 1st October) and get my trains booked (almost 3 and a half hours, but it'll be worth it!).

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I think it's because she's only there for the weekend and wants to be near the airport? Makes no difference to me, I'll still be really close to the train station. Still doesn't mean we can't venture out and see the city, though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Exactly why you should probably want to be in the city center, so you don't spend two hours one-way to get there, :monster: (idk what the connections with the center are though, is there a subway line going to Gatwick?)

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
There should be Underground tube links pretty much everywhere in London. I haven't booked anywhere yet, so I'm not setting it in stone that's the hotel I'm going to be staying at. I might pick somewhere near London Euston, as that's the train station that goes direct back to Manchester.

Top Bottom